The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2020, 02:30 PM   #1
hunter1123

Turn signal signal switch grounding through steering shaft

I have a weird problem with my turn signal switch. (1970 k10)

I replaced the upper column bearing bc it had a bunch of play in it while I was in there I decided to change the turn signal switch as well since it was old and the plastic Was cracked all over the place.

After I put everything back together I hooked the battery back up and the negative terminal arches, a noise sort of a like switch turning on happens and the dome light turns on even though the door is shut.

I took it back apart and checked to see if I pinched a wire and the entire harness for the turn signal looks fine. When I go to put it back in the column when I touched the actual steering shaft it arched again and it appears to bring grounding through the bearing when installed.

If I unplug the turn signal switch harness (the half moon shaped one) the arching stops and the dome light switch works properly. When’s it’s plugged in it arches, draws power from the battery when the truck is off and the dome light stays on regardless of whether or not a push the door switch.

Does anyone have any clue what this is? Is the turn signal switch bad ?

Thank you
hunter1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:39 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Turn signal signal switch grounding through steering shaft

-
Did your horn work OK before you changed the turn signal assembly?

I wonder if the horn wiring/parts might be shorting out and the "switch" sound you are hearing might be the horn relay. It is down on the inside firewall by the steering column.(see picture) Disconnect the wire connector from the relay and see what it does when you touch the battery cable to the post with the column "U" connector plugged in. If that doesn't change anything remove the turn signal flasher and see what that does.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:37 PM   #3
GMCPaul

Look at bottom of switch for metal plate that holds the horn spring in switch on bottom of switch, this metal retaining plate for the horn spring is not supposed to the reach edge of inner plastic ring opening on the turn signal switch, I'm referring to the ring portion that slides over column. One of the companies making these turn signal switches used the wrong size retaining plate fir the horn spring and it sticks into opening causing grounding on column so most likely you have one made by that manufacturer. Take a file, dremel, etc and file the retaining plate back so it stops short of opening and this will prevent it from grounding the horn circuit.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:14 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I remember reading a thread about that. I think it even had some pictures of the problem. I will see if I can find it.

LockDoc

-
Old 04-08-2020, 06:48 AM   #5
GMCPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I remember reading a thread about that. I think it even had some pictures of the problem. I will see if I can find it.

LockDoc
Most likely this is the post you are referring to as it definitely shows the Eact issue and the defective piece that needs filed to prevent horn sounding when installed,
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=765275
Every retailer that is selling these switches should be more than aware of the issue as it's been a issue for over 2 years and if the retailer isn't dealing with the issue upon receiving the switches to correct this well know issue they are instead opting to make the customer deal with it rather than taking care of the issue in house prior to shipping the part. Sad they can't spend 30 seconds with a dremel grinder to send a correctly functioning part.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:04 AM   #6
JMac11

I have a cracked neutral safety/ back up light that would occasionally sound the horn, engage the starter and even give you a shock on the metal part of the steering wheel.
JMac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:06 AM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul View Post
Most likely this is the post you are referring to as it definitely shows the Eact issue and the defective piece that needs filed to prevent horn sounding when installed,
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=765275
Every retailer that is selling these switches should be more than aware of the issue as it's been a issue for over 2 years and if the retailer isn't dealing with the issue upon receiving the switches to correct this well know issue they are instead opting to make the customer deal with it rather than taking care of the issue in house prior to shipping the part. Sad they can't spend 30 seconds with a dremel grinder to send a correctly functioning part.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls

Yep, that's the one. Short and informative.

Thanks,
LockDoc

-