The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Product Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
54belair

Thumbs down Lesson learned the hard way with LMC

Im currently at the point of re-assembling the entire front suspension.

It was a matter of convenience a couple months ago to order ball joints from LMC while I was ordering a few other things. My simple c-frame press wouldnt press out the old lower ball joints so I took the lower a frames to a shop and had the old pressed out and the new pressed in. Now, a couple months later, I have the lower a fames installed--basically the whole front end installed---the last thing to do is compress the spring and fit the lower ball joint. Guess what----the lower ball joint was too short (the taper), the castle nut wouldnt fully cover the stud.
After checking my work, I checked the thickness of the new spindle compared to the old, they were the same. Then I checked the old GM ball joint compared to the new one----Bingo! the new ball joint is about (taper is shorter as well as threaded area) 9/16" shorter.

I called LMC and complained to customer service a bout the difference and the fact that what I ordered wouldnt work. Their answer: Very politely I was told that their parts conformed to GM specs and that there should be no reason for the part not to work. I explained to the rep. the dimensional differences----- IN the end, I screwed myself by ordering an unknown product in the name of convenience.

I have checked Moog (from oriellys) and Duralast (from autozone), both have the same length of the taper and threads as the OEM parts.

So, while LMC is "checking their warehouse", Im dis-assembling the front end again and using the Moog lifetime parts (like I should have done in the first place.)

Now that Im finished with my rant----My point here is: Be careful of what you order online and check EVERYTHING BEFORE you install it, and be careful of lmc suspension parts!!!!

Oh, Im also looking for volunteers today to re-do my front suspension---any takers????
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030

Last edited by N2TRUX; 03-26-2013 at 10:05 AM.
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Shyguy

Re: Lesson learned the hard way with LMC

Sorry you had problems with parts from LMC. I hate to have to do re-work because some one gave me the wrong part.

We always try to buy parts locally if we can because we like to compare new parts to old parts. Yesterday I bought a new radiator from a local parts store for my GMC and they told me this, "Compare the new part to the old part before installing it".

One of our local Napa Parts stores has a guy that knows a lot about these old trucks and is very helpful. He is also a board member here.

We have however ordered a lot of parts from LMC over the years and have not had any major issues with them. My son gets a discount on most parts he orders from LMC is why we order from them because of the large volumne of parts he orders.

Yesterday I bought a 1975 C-30 will try to get the parts I need from board vendors as soon as I figure out who has parts for it.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
JointTech

Ive had mostly good luck with LMC so far. I got a dome light that is kind of cheap feeling plastic but the rest of the stuff has come out fine. But I wouldnt ever buy hardparts like brakes or suspension from an online place. theres to many variations. I want to set it on the counter and match it before i walk out.

convenience always bites me too.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
54belair

the key is "due dilligence"-----I didnt do it!!!!! I relied on LMC's reputation(?) and "assumed" their part was correct. Had I done the due dilligence I could have sent their part back--now all I have is a used part!
Customer service told me they would keep me advised as to what their investigation turned up!!?? I have pictures now that I took of the correct part as compared to what they are selling. Its scary when you see them side by side. Ill post the pics tonite just for the fun of it.
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 03-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
Mister-B
Account Suspended

The main reputation I hear in regards to LMC, is that their catalog is great, but you should buy your parts elsewhere, because they aren't made well.

I've taken this to heart, and purchased my parts from Brothers, and have been very pleased
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
69GWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
The main reputation I hear in regards to LMC, is that their catalog is great, but you should buy your parts elsewhere, because they aren't made well.

I've taken this to heart, and purchased my parts from Brothers, and have been very pleased
Posted via Mobile Device
Kinda find this funny that you have never bought from LMC but are going to bad mouth them.
There is a lot of parts on my 69 from LMC and everyone works and has fit fine. Oh yeah my mirrors has zero rust on them and have been on since last june.

Everybody screws up
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
shopking72

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Cant talk bad about something if have never bought from them before... I purchased my new inner and outer grill from LMC and it was very nice.
2001 Tahoe LT
2013 Hyundai Elantra
2010 Kawasaki Z1000
shopking72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
RHGuyettejr

Everything I have ordered from LMC for either my 98 or 69 has been either the wrong part, or just so poor quality I refused to use it. Their exhaust kit worked alright, but one side was a good 8 inches shorter than the other and mufflers arrived dented. Running boards wouldn't hold a person half my size, and the clutch push rod was a solid foot too short. I have had no trouble with classic parts of America and have heard nothing bad about Brothers.
RHGuyettejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
C5Phil

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
How true- I've ordered a complete stepside bed/fenders and it went together OK... with just a bit of massaging... but google GMC 4 headlight harness here-- they sent me two different ones- both were put together wrong- they didn't offer much help and I bet they are still selling the harness without checking to make sure the defect was corrected-- Buyer beware- I guess
C5Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
54belair

Well, the bottom line is--that it was my responsibility to check my parts--I didnt, I took the a frame and parts in a box to the shop and when they came back I didnt know the difference. Now, with that said--its also the responsibility of the vender to ship correct parts---in this case, neither of us did what we were supposed to.

The scary thing is---look at the difference in parts-- the LMC part is on the LEFT--

Both times I ordered a lower ball joint for a 71-72 c10, 1/2 ton 2 whl dr.

when you order the LMC part, the number is 34-1722---and theres no way in H#&& you can tighten it enough to work!

Ive ordered several LMC parts also in the past----but never again on suspension parts
Attached Images

1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 03-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GWC View Post
Kinda find this funny that you have never bought from LMC but are going to bad mouth them.
There is a lot of parts on my 69 from LMC and everyone works and has fit fine. Oh yeah my mirrors has zero rust on them and have been on since last june.

Everybody screws up
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, everybody screws up. Yes, the bolts to my mirrors rusted, but they made it right. Everything else I've ordered has been great, so that's only one thing out of all those orders that I've had a problem with.

I'd like to think I can take the advice of forum members I've met on here and in person regarding LMC, without having to waste my time and money to come to the same conclusion myself.

Sounds like they are working out good for you. Great. Didn't mean to hit a nerve...
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
Flat Rock Mayor

Unfortunately I too understand your pain. While trying to rebuild a front end out of a 85 to put under my 67 I stripped the threads off the studs holding the upper A-arm on. Went to several parts stores who said they were unable to get it. Rather than spending the time taking the same chance at a junk yard I ordered new from LMC with a few other parts I needed. When the new one arrived it was too big and would not fit without grinding off the splines. I too called and spoke with the nice lady and together we went over the dimensions of the bolt. What was sent is what I had and what she showed to fit. However it wouldn't. I know that no one is perfect because I am reminded by my own doings often but the part that bothered me the most was how they did not act concerned the least bit to investigate to make it right for anyone else who orders this. Makes me want to second guess what else I order.
Flat Rock Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
Shyguy

I have ordered some stuff from Classic Parts and every thing worked ok. I use to order from Brother's, but got tired of parts being on back order, the parts I got from them worked ok though.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:21 AM   #14
luvbowties

Question Re: Lesson learned the hard way with LMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54belair View Post
Well, the bottom line is--that it was my responsibility to check my parts--I didnt, I took the a frame and parts in a box to the shop and when they came back I didnt know the difference. Now, with that said--its also the responsibility of the vender to ship correct parts---in this case, neither of us did what we were supposed to.

The scary thing is---look at the difference in parts-- the LMC part is on the LEFT--

Both times I ordered a lower ball joint for a 71-72 c10, 1/2 ton 2 whl dr.

when you order the LMC part, the number is 34-1722---and theres no way in H#&& you can tighten it enough to work!

Ive ordered several LMC parts also in the past----but never again on suspension parts
Ok, I have had mixed results from LMC parts--some good, some inferior, some just would not fit/wrong/unuseable. Altho' both my eyes are the same age, they tell me not only that those studs are shorter on LMC's balljoints, BUT also the diameter of the studs are smaller on the LMC joints. Have you checked that dimension also?
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #15
54belair

No, I did not measure the dia. of the taper--it did seem to fit, just too short. I think some of it is optical illusion--Im a little closer to the right side than the left with the camera (?).
Out of curiosity--I will measure today. Either way, they have a lot of chinese parts that wont work!!!!
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 03-26-2013, 01:16 AM   #16
leddzepp

Everybody reading this should take note: No matter WHO you buy ball joints from, be sure to check them and make sure they are correct for your application before you install them. Even if you buy them locally (best way IMO) take an original and compare. Ball joints have got to be the most commonly sent "wrong part" and incorrectly boxed part of all time.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote