The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #126
rads42

Thumbs up Re: New Member - 72 Jimmy: Project Knuckledragger mountain commuter

I really enjoy this thread, you're making a ton of progress and you're doing it on the cheap where you can but spending the money where you need to. Great job!
rads42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #127
snowblind

Re: New Member - 72 Jimmy: Project Knuckledragger mountain commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rads42 View Post
I really enjoy this thread, you're making a ton of progress and you're doing it on the cheap where you can but spending the money where you need to. Great job!
Thanks man. It seems to cost a lot for being "cheap" though...

I have a bunch MORE stuff on the to do list including a new steering box, new leaf springs/bushings, power windows, finishing off the wiring for the seats, new carb, etc, etc, etc.

It sure is a lot of work.

'72 Jimmy Build
snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #128
snowblind

I got a few more things done on the Jimmy.

Windshield washer/wiper upgrade:
These are a big deal for me. My winter driving involves a lot of salt and spray and some really heavy snow and ice. Last winter I ran the stock reservoir with an aftermarket pump and the stock squirters and it was not a lot of fun. I have a plan for upgrading the system that I'll go into later but step one was installing a bigger reservoir and stronger pump.

I pulled a reservoir with built in pump from a Chevy 2500 at the junkyard. The built in pump really simplifies the mounting and makes for a pretty clean install. I also checked out the dual pump reservoir from a S10 Blazer but the pumps mounted on the outside of the tank and didn't look as clean.

Reservoir and pump. I made sure to clip the GM "weatherpack" connector so I could wire it in cleanly.

Here are a few shots of the engine bay after cleaning up the wiring. It's still pretty dirty and the duct tape on the firewall is a nice touch but it's better than it was.

I also installed a new upper radiator hose. It took a few tries at Pep Boys to get the right hose but I ended up with a hose from a 79 Blazer that fits well with my set up. I don't know how it would fit with the stock shroud and fan but it works well for me. The fans have worked flawlessly BTW. Idling in 95º the temp barely comes over the the first hash on the stock temp gauge. That's where it normally runs in the winter!

'72 Jimmy Build
Old 07-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #129
snowblind

My steering box has been leaking from the top seal since I bought the truck. In the winter it wasn't too bad but now that it's hot it's leaking more and getting fluid all over the leaf spring and tie rods.

Here's a few shots of the offender after a good scrub down and degreasing.

And now the new Red Head re-manufactured box from Wes @ Classic Heartbeat. I chose the quick ratio model.

Installation was fairly straight forward. I kept the box mounted very loosely until I got everything else hooked back up and then I tightened it down. I did break the PS Return hard line though as it was too corroded to spin. I recommend ordering a new set of hoses for when you do the box. To fill the box I filled the pump and then turned the steering wheel a few turns and it sucked the fluid into the box. Repeated 5-6 times and then did it with the engine running to bleed out the last of the bubbles.

The new box is nice with a much, much smaller dead spot in the center. Steering effort feels a little higher and that makes sense because if it's moving more distance with less steering wheel input it's going to take more effort.

'72 Jimmy Build
Old 09-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #130
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Can you give the part number and name on the breaker box on the passenger side fender... I really like the idea.... thank

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #131
snowblind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
Can you give the part number and name on the breaker box on the passenger side fender... I really like the idea.... thank
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...028_0006522027

$37.99

Matt

'72 Jimmy Build

Last edited by snowblind; 10-06-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:01 PM   #132
BLUE THUNDER

I'm really liking the build. I love the winshield washer idea. I'm gonna borrow it. How was the body mount install? I've been putting it off for a while. Gonna do it in the next two weeks. Take care. Cant wait to see more pics.
BLUE THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #133
snowblind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE THUNDER View Post
How was the body mount install? I've been putting it off for a while. Gonna do it in the next two weeks. Take care. Cant wait to see more pics.
My body mounts weren't too tough but I'm sure they can be a pain. Having an impact wrench was key for me so as to not snap all the bolts. You have to grind spot welds off on most/all of the bolt heads.

I need to get a bunch of work done soon! Were did the summer go? LOL.

'72 Jimmy Build

Last edited by snowblind; 10-08-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #134
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Nice job on the washer upgrade. Could you show how you wired it?

Also, there is an extra hose coming off a y adapter by the heater, and it wraps all the way around the engine. Where is it going?

Did you try those seatbelt mounts from mooneyes?

A lot of nice upgrades going in this.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 10-10-2010 at 09:14 AM.
hgs_notes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #135
snowblind

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Nice job on the washer upgrade. Could you show how you wired it?

Also, there is an extra hose coming off a y adapter by the heater, and it wraps all the way around the engine. Where is it going?

Did you try those seatbelt mounts from mooneyes?

A lot of nice upgrades going in this.
Hey HGS.

For the washer pump wiring I just tapped off the existing pump/wiring. The stock pump is up under the dash, behind/to the right of the fuel gauge. There are FAQs on the board that describe the wiring but as I recall it's a blue (ground?) and yellow (power?) wire going to the pump. You tap those two wires and run two new wires out to the new pump.

NOTE #1: I needed to use a heat gun to modify the washer reservoir for my mounting location. I "dimpled" the back of the res to clear a wire guide and pushed in the back corner so it cleared the inner fender.

NOTE #2: REMOVE ALL THE OLD HOSES FROM THE STOCK PUMP! A few weeks after installing the new pump my stock pump miraculously came back to life an in doing so it spat the old washer fluid on my leg. No big deal for me but shows how with a connected hose it could make a big mess inside the cab.

The extra hose connects to a coolant tank heater (block heater) that is mounted inside the fender well, low on the frame. Check the middle/bottom of page 2 for a few more details on the install.

I haven't ordered the seat belt plates yet. I had planned to have new rockers/floors by now but the money wasn't there this summer. I don't even have proper power to the seats yet! I have one power and one ground that I've been swapping between the seats if/when I need to move them LOL.

This summer has been a bit of a bust as far as working on the Jimmy. Too many other things going on and the truck wasn't technically broke so why fix it? Now I need to get things sorted FAST because I have safety/emission inspection at the end of October and the truck won't pass as it currently sits.

'72 Jimmy Build

Last edited by snowblind; 10-10-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #136
EODblake

Read through your whole build and like the course of action you're following. (A fully functioning truck that I can be proud of, but not cry if it gets scratched) I bought mine in Nov "09 with the same intentions, but cheap is still too expensive for me. Done a little bit, but mainly to pass the safety inspection here in VA. For example had to have properly secured seats and due to rust issues they got spot welded for the time being. Can't believe snowboarding’s a month away and I'm gonna miss another season. Pound some powder for me.
EODblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #137
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Snowblind, I got my seat heater switches off of Ebay finally but havent wired them up yet. Got my power run for the seats tho, went to a chevy dealer and they just gave me some pins for the connectors to get both seats working off of the same power input. They are called a Metri-pack connector. I got either 150 or 280 series. They just let me dig through their bins until I found the ones I needed. Next, I'll get the heaters wired up.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty

Last edited by red71cheyenne; 10-12-2010 at 11:52 PM.
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:33 AM   #138
snowblind

Quote:
Originally Posted by EODblake View Post
Read through your whole build and like the course of action you're following. (A fully functioning truck that I can be proud of, but not cry if it gets scratched) I bought mine in Nov "09 with the same intentions, but cheap is still too expensive for me. Done a little bit, but mainly to pass the safety inspection here in VA. For example had to have properly secured seats and due to rust issues they got spot welded for the time being. Can't believe snowboarding’s a month away and I'm gonna miss another season. Pound some powder for me.
Thanks Blake. I don't know if I would say I'm "proud" of my truck... I definitely respect it's capabilities though. Other than fuel economy these things are pretty much perfect all-around performers. They'll haul and tow and go off-road and power through snow and then do 70+ for hours on the freeway.

'72 Jimmy Build

Last edited by snowblind; 10-13-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:40 AM   #139
snowblind

Quote:
Originally Posted by red71cheyenne View Post
Snowblind, I got my seat heater switches off of Ebay finally but havent wired them up yet. Got my power run for the seats tho, went to a chevy dealer and they just gave me some pins for the connectors to get both seats working off of the same power input. They are called a Metri-pack connector. I got either 150 or 280 series. They just let me dig through their bins until I found the ones I needed. Next, I'll get the heaters wired up.
Hey Red.

I honestly never though of trying to use the stock connector. Mine are all butt and spade connectors. Good on you for going that route. Take some pics and post em up in the heated seat thread.

I actually put a relay in last weekend and wired up the seats a little better. They are ignition hot now versus constant hot and have nice clean grounds and wiring. I still don't have the heaters/memory wired yet. I need to get on that because it's starting to get chilly here in the mornings.

How/where are you pulling the power for your seats?

'72 Jimmy Build

Last edited by snowblind; 10-13-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #140
snowblind

This is such a cool board. NTR72GMC contacted me a few weeks ago asking if I still had my stock seats. I did and told him I was maybe looking for some fuel injection stuff. The stars aligned and we ended up doing a trade.

Part numbers indicate it's from a 1986 Camaro with a 305. I won't be installing it until next summer at the earliest.

'72 Jimmy Build

Last edited by snowblind; 10-18-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #141
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowblind View Post
Hey Red.

I honestly never though of trying to use the stock connector. Mine are all butt and spade connectors. Good on you for going that route. Take some pics and post em up in the heated seat thread.

I actually put a relay in last weekend and wired up the seats a little better. They are ignition hot now versus constant hot and have nice clean grounds and wiring. I still don't have the heaters/memory wired yet. I need to get on that because it's starting to get chilly here in the mornings.

How/where are you pulling the power for your seats?
I ran mine hot from one of the spare terminals in the IGN Unfused terminals in the fuse box. Just tied both power wires together and ran them to the fuse box. The grounds, I just connected to one of the floor bracket bolts on each seat. Still haven't gotten the heaters wired up, I've been slacking, but not really sure I'll ever use them anyway. I got them cause the wifey will like them. Once I get them done, I'll post some pics on your thread.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
Old 10-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #142
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowblind View Post
This is such a cool board. NTR72GMC contacted me a few weeks ago asking if I still had my stock seats. I did and told him I was maybe looking for some fuel injection stuff. The stars aligned and we ended up doing a trade.

Part numbers indicate it's from a 1986 Camaro with a 305. I won't be installing it until next summer at the earliest.

Beauty! Thats the same one I have in my 71. Mine's just not polished, eh, someday. Excellent score by the way
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
Old 10-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #143
BLUE THUNDER

Sweet!!!! That's exactly what I want to do to mine. Can't wait to see the install.
BLUE THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #144
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

Quote:
I thought you were going to put it on this weekend?!?!?!?! j/k Cant wait to see you put that thing to use.
NTR72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #145
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

Anything new?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #146
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/14228946 I hate it when I find ads for blazers of people I know. Good luck with the sale Matt.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #147
snowblind

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTR72GMC View Post
http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/14228946 I hate it when I find ads for blazers of people I know. Good luck with the sale Matt.
Yep. Spousal troubles required the sale. It went to a good home though. A body guy from up in Brigham City who is going to fix it up.

Maybe I'll get another one some time in the future...

'72 Jimmy Build
Old 10-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #148
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully you can get back in the blazer/jimmy game sooner than later.