The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2018, 12:10 AM   #1
Stephen717

Oil Gauge Question

So after a lot of wandering around the internet (and parts stores) I've decided to modify an oil gauge from a later gm truck. I have pop rivets and my original oil gauge so I'm just going to swap gauge faces. The question is, hat year did gm switch from mechanical oil gauges to electronic oil gauges?
Stephen717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:11 AM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: Oil Gauge Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen717 View Post
So after a lot of wandering around the internet (and parts stores) I've decided to modify an oil gauge from a later gm truck. I have pop rivets and my original oil gauge so I'm just going to swap gauge faces. The question is, hat year did gm switch from mechanical oil gauges to electronic oil gauges?
For pick ups GM started electronic oil gauges in 1978.

Not as easy as swapping faces as I believe the later gauge cups are bigger in diameter. What I advise is to trim the new gauge face (78-87 pick up) all the way up until it meets the cup and epoxy your face onto that. My other word of advise is not to remove the needle from the electronic oil gauge. You will never get it back in the correct position.

Hope this helps,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
Zeroman

I converted my Oil Pressure gauge to electrical using a mid 80s gauge and sending unit.

I had to modify the instrument cluster backing plate and the gauge mounting bracket to make it fit.

I also do not have the original wiring harness, I have a Painless Wiring harness which already includes an electrical oil pressure circuit. The only thing I had to do was figure out which connection on the back of the gauge was hot, and which one was ground.

The sending unit is much larger than most so it required a 45 degree fitting so it would miss the HEI distributor.

I think it turned out pretty well.
Attached Images

Zeroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
tdangle

Just wondering, why do you want to switch it out?

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
Just wondering, why do you want to switch it out?
I cannot speak for all but the main reason most people do this conversion is fear of the mechanical oil line breaking inside the cab and squirting hot oil all over.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
Stephen717

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
I cannot speak for all but the main reason most people do this conversion is fear of the mechanical oil line breaking inside the cab and squirting hot oil all over.
well with an oil line I have to worry about it breaking inside the cab or the leaking at the block. with an electronic gauge I still have to worry about a leak at the block, but being that a wire plugs into a sensor I don't think the sensor would leak unless oil is getting past the threads. Wires don't fail as often as mechanical lines. not to say they won't fail. I just haven't seen it happen as often. and with either you have to worry about the gauge going bad. I with there was a manufacturer that made both an electronic oil gauge and voltmeter that looked identical to the original gauges for people that want the stock look with the modern conveniences.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #7
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen717 View Post
well with an oil line I have to worry about it breaking inside the cab or the leaking at the block. with an electronic gauge I still have to worry about a leak at the block, but being that a wire plugs into a sensor I don't think the sensor would leak unless oil is getting past the threads. Wires don't fail as often as mechanical lines. not to say they won't fail. I just haven't seen it happen as often. and with either you have to worry about the gauge going bad. I with there was a manufacturer that made both an electronic oil gauge and voltmeter that looked identical to the original gauges for people that want the stock look with the modern conveniences.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653967

Click on the link. It is my thread for volt gauge conversions that I offer. Not sure if I discussed this with you before or not.

I offer volt gauge conversions that you would bet money were factory when installed.

Hope this helps,
Tom

Old 10-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #8
Stephen717

I actually stumbled across your thread on those the other night and asked a question about hooking them up that you answered very quick and professionally. That's what got me wondering about why no major manufacturers jumped on board with this idea. Do you make oil gauges as well as volt meters?