The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

If I had been around when this truck was for sale

and had the money ..I would of bought one ..like this one

A short box Chevy step side pickup 1/2 ton

Chevrolet's historians believe that the company may have built a small number of Four-Ninety trucks for its own use in 1916, and records show that some of the trucks were converted to ambulances and shipped to France.

The first truck produced for individual buyers was built in Flint, Michigan, in November of 1918, and left the factory in December. Chevy introduced two four-cylinder trucks for the 1918 model year, both cowl chassis designs that were only outfitted with sheet metal on the front. Truck buyers of that era typically added a wooden cab and cargo box or a panel van body.

The half ton Light Delivery cowl chassis was actually a Chevy Four Ninety car without its body, but with beefed-up rear springs. The truck was priced at $595.

Name:  1916-Chevrolet-FourNinety-truck-56b808373df78c0b1364d1cb.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  77.6 KB
Old 06-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: If I had been around when this truck was for sale

The "490" model car was named for it's price. I think Model T Fords were advertised at $495, so Chevy came out with the $490

I'd love to own that one now! But I wish I was around back then

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #3
GOPAPA

I also think the 1937 Chevy half ton is one of the best looking ones also... like to have one of them too,, and maybe go back to that year Tim and live and then skip the war years and live again .

Like to add a photo of the 37 ,,but I do not do well adding photos after the initial posting , maybe some one will do it for me if I say please....please
Old 06-18-2019, 09:37 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Here is a good example. I'd like to go back then. I could do without the depression
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 06-18-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:09 PM   #5
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Like to add a photo of the 37 ,,but I do not do well adding photos after the initial posting , maybe some one will do it for me if I say please....please
Instead of clicking on Quick Reply, click on Go Advanced. Below the text box is the option to add attachments. I'd love to see your '37.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:39 PM   #6
62c30

Damn $595 wont even make a monthly payment on a 2019
62c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:00 AM   #7
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62c30 View Post
Damn $595 wont even make a monthly payment on a 2019
It's all relative. My mother told me that my parents house payment was $62 a month when they bought the house. And that was one of my dad's paycheck's back then. They struggled to make it.

That house is worth a fortune now. She's been there since 1953.

My wife's father sold his place a few years ago before he died. She looked it up and it was listed at around 1 million bucks by the new owner. I don't think her dad paid more than $100K for it.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #8
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Instead of clicking on Quick Reply, click on Go Advanced. Below the text box is the option to add attachments. I'd love to see your '37.
Sorry ,,, I should of said I would like to show a photo of A 37 .. I do not own a 37 Chevy truck. just would like to..
Old 06-19-2019, 08:29 AM   #9
GOPAPA

[QUOTE=FleetsidePaul;8544871]It's all relative. My mother told me that my parents house payment was $62 a month when they bought the house. And that was one of my dad's paycheck's back then. They struggled to make it.

That house is worth a fortune now. She's been there since 1953.

My wife's father sold his place a few years ago before he died. She looked it up and it was listed at around 1 million bucks by the new owner. I don't think her dad paid more than $100K for it.[/QUOTE

Later on in 1956 my folks had their own house ,,but before that this is what the houses looked like they rented

In 1953 my folks rented for $15 dollars a month in one of these old houses
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  22.7 KB
Old 06-20-2019, 06:47 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

They call them "shotguns", straight and narrow. Usually company housing for logging or mining camps. It's all relative but the wages have not gained nearly as much as the cost of living, and there are more things we have to pay for now for what is considered the standard of living. People sure did start thinking they need awfully huge houses. I never got the whole excess thing.

Tim

Old 06-20-2019, 07:39 AM   #11
GOPAPA

Shotguns ..never heard that expression of houses,,Tim,, there were 17 of them all rented to like you said ,Sawmill and Timber workers .. anyway it was a different kind of world back then ,, more content with what one had and not so much of needing a great big house ...I had lots of room to roam around in the woods up back of them houses with the Elk and Deer ..

Just remembered this:: the owner of them houses had a old 37 Ford pickup that he used to haul garbage up to a dump in a canyon and I would get to ride with him in that old pickup if I helped unldoad the garbage.. what one would do as a kid to just get a ride in an old pickup truck..

I am headed out to California just above Santa Barbara this morning .. visiting with our son and new grandson ,,and maybe meet up with a old car guy for a part or two for the 39 ..check in later with you all..
Old 06-20-2019, 08:28 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Enjoy the trip and visit. It's a good thing you weren't around when those trucks were new. I don't think you'd still be around now

Tim

Old 06-20-2019, 08:30 AM   #13
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Have a fun visit.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #14
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Have a fun visit.
Having lots of fun ,,doing something I used to do a lot of ,building forms for a pergala at the sons home here in Los Olivos Ca.. mud coming tomorrow if we can get it.. all the 4x6 stantions are in place right on straight and plumb.. I am not going to finish the slab ..to old and ,,well just old .. will share photos of before and after later
Old 07-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #15
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Having lots of fun ,,doing something I used to do a lot of ,building forms for a pergala at the sons home here in Los Olivos Ca.. mud coming tomorrow if we can get it.. all the 4x6 stantions are in place right on straight and plumb.. I am not going to finish the slab ..to old and ,,well just old .. will share photos of before and after later
That's a heck of a vacation. ......work. lol

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:48 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

It's good to do a little work, Larry, isn't it? The ole man's still got it . Where's the pictures?

I thought nothing of handling the 12' x 16' slab & small ramp with my son about 4 years ago. I was going to sub it to a concrete guy (who is older than me!), but it never worked out. My son had never done it and it got hot and sunny that day. This was under a shed roof I had built, but the sun was coming right under. As soon as we had it down I floated it and went straight to troweling. It was nonstop busting butt for longer than I like to recall. I was hurtin' for days . It tried to kill me! I decided I'd be more careful about what I got myself into from that day on!! I have a slab to pour under a carport I built last winter (12' x 22'). I dunno...........

It's not even that big, is it?
Attached Images

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 07-03-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #17
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It's good to do a little work, Larry, isn't it? The ole man's still got it . Where's the pictures?

I thought nothing of handling the 12' x 16' slab & small ramp with my son about 4 years ago. I was going to sub it to a concrete guy (who is older than me!), but it never worked out. My son had never done it and it got hot and sunny that day. This was under a shed roof I had built, but the sun was coming right under. As soon as we had it down I floated it and went straight to troweling. It was nonstop busting butt for longer than I like to recall. I was hurtin' for days . It tried to kill me! I decided I'd be more careful about what I got myself into from that day on!! I have a slab to pour under a carport I built last winter (12' x 22'). I dunno...........

It's not even that big, is it?
The slab was poured this morning ,,chose the light sweep with the deep cuts for in case of cracking down the road,, had a earth quake yesterday and the sons mother in law felt it ,, it was long ways off from us but this is California so I recomended the slab cuts.. will take photos of the finish slab to night and then soon as I get back home around the 15th I will post photos ..

and YES Tim it made me feel good to do the job with the son ,.