The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
cheford

Broken keeper pin in differential

I've got a rear differential from a 1990 Silverado that I'm trying to disassemble and the bolt that holds the pin for the spider gears is broken and I can't figure how I'm going to get it out. I've thought of drilling it out but there is seems to be no room for the chuck of the drill because it is so close to the casing. I'm sure someone has run into this problem and sure would like to hear from you.
cheford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: Broken keeper pin in differential

Common problem. There is a special tool to drill that out. NAPA has it. it's a long drill bit and a collar that holds it in line with the broken pin. Drill into the pin and use a small ez out. I have also sen a few come out with just a magnet.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

They can be very difficult to remove. Most of the time the head breaks off of the bolt, leaving a few threads on the shank that is left in the hole. It helps that the bolt is not broken by "bound" threads, so that it may not be so hard to turn. Sometimes a small chisel can be used to turn what's left of the bolt. You can even try to drive it out from the opposite end with a pin-punch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
cheford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Common problem. There is a special tool to drill that out. NAPA has it. it's a long drill bit and a collar that holds it in line with the broken pin. Drill into the pin and use a small ez out. I have also sen a few come out with just a magnet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, looks like I'll have to visit Napa. It's broken off very close to the last thread. Looks that way. Not sure just how much thread is on the bolt. Can't see any way to drive it out from the other side as I can't see a hole to drive it through. I can grind down a chisel and do as LONGHAIR suggests but I'm afraid of screwing up the threads.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
hayhauler71

I have removed at least a dozen by using a pocket screwdriver to turn it out or a magnet with the screwdriver and the best tool was a 45 degree pick and turned it right out. Longest time to do job 40 min shortest 5 min maybe I'm lucky but never had to drill.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:02 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Here is where you can purchase the kit to remove that broken bolt.

http://www.fabbriassociates.com/index.html
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
cheford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post

Thanks for that link. I'll give Napa a call tomorrow and if they don't have it I'll order the one from the link you provided. Anybody know why this is a common problem?
Old 05-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post

I have that tool and it's invaluable! Took me all of 5 minutes to get the broken bolt out of mine, worth every penny.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
cheford

An update to my problem; it's been solved. I was talking to the parts guy at my GM dealer and he told me to try using a pick to turn it out. He was right, I managed to get it out in about 5 minutes. He saved me from purchasing the extractor kit. Now I can use that money to purchase new seals and a pin.
Want to thank all you for the advice and help as it has all been valuable. Now I will be able to take it to the machine shop and have it narrowed as they wanted everything stripped down.