The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #101
chad64chevy

Re: CRGRS 66 – Winter Build Thread

craig, the radiator support member being bent, i would guess the po might have put a tow hook there were the hole is to have somewhere to hook too, and bent it! the frame indent were the steering box was i wouldnt worry about it either! usless the frame is bent and you can take cross measurements to check that! i wouldnt worry about it, if you get the power steering bracket from captfab. and weld it in then that will be fine!! your truck is in alot better shape then some peoples trucks are, alot better then mine, lol!! anyways good to see some progress on the truck, have the other new parts came in yet??
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #102
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That slight dent in the frame is likely from the bumper taking an impact, as the bumper brace is bolted to the frame in that area. If you can straighten it out, good, if not I wouldn't worry too much about it..As long as the steering box area is not bent.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #103
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63sbssbbw View Post
The x-m should have holes for both
So, yeah that's kind of strange.
Mine had a similar bend in it.nothing the BFH won't fix.
That framerail bow is different!
I assume the frame is square ??(+- 1/8").
It may interfere with your PS conversion plates(or not?),just something to watch for.
Looking good so far Craig
T
Haven't measured anything, not too worried about either anomally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
Keep up the great work, looks and sounds like you are having as much fun with your build as I am with mine...
I am, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTYZ View Post
Looking good CRGRS. little late getting on board just found your thread.For your first rodeo you are motoring along like a pro.
Not far from Cambridge or Newmarket either,should find a show next summer we can all go to.
Welcome aboard, yes, we should figure out a show or two, maybe a cruise night or two as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
craig, the radiator support member being bent, i would guess the po might have put a tow hook there were the hole is to have somewhere to hook too, and bent it! the frame indent were the steering box was i wouldnt worry about it either! usless the frame is bent and you can take cross measurements to check that! i wouldnt worry about it, if you get the power steering bracket from captfab. and weld it in then that will be fine!! your truck is in alot better shape then some peoples trucks are, alot better then mine, lol!! anyways good to see some progress on the truck, have the other new parts came in yet??
Chadwick, be patient Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
That slight dent in the frame is likely from the bumper taking an impact, as the bumper brace is bolted to the frame in that area. If you can straighten it out, good, if not I wouldn't worry too much about it..As long as the steering box area is not bent.
Thanks Captain, still debating on what to do about power steering

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #104
CRGRS 66

I was expecting my CPP goods yesterday, but the truck was delayed. Figured it would be next Tuesday, but low and behold there it was today. Very exciting... cardboard boxes and all you know Anyway, front and rear sway bars, 2.5" drop spindles, rotors, calipers, hardware, booster/MC/Prop Valve, hoses, 2" drop springs and matching shocks. Going to leave this stuff in the boxes until I am ready for it
Attached Images

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
Old 11-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #105
CRGRS 66

I am considering this steering box from Truck Shop, what do you guys think... (especially you captain) Not having much luck finding a used one in a wrecking yard north of the 49th, and bringing stuff up from the good old USA would prove especially difficult from a wrecking yard.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #106
jsdoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 View Post
I was expecting my CPP goods yesterday, but the truck was delayed. Figured it would be next Tuesday, but low and behold there it was today. Very exciting... cardboard boxes and all you know Anyway, front and rear sway bars, 2.5" drop spindles, rotors, calipers, hardware, booster/MC/Prop Valve, hoses, 2" drop springs and matching shocks. Going to leave this stuff in the boxes until I am ready for it
Oooh! Nice! Early Christmas!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #107
CRGRS 66

It has been a while. I have not had much time for the truck of late, but have been plugging away at a few things. I have most of the caked on grease and grime off of the front cross member, and control arms. Have started rust removal on the front part of the frame. Have been doing some detail work on my inst cluster, and some other progress on other odd jobs. Expecting an order from Classic Parts, and from my porterbuilt parts for the rear suspension in tomorrow. Will be placing an order with Advanced Auto Parts tonight for ps box, ps pump, pitman arm, clutch pack, and distributor. Not much point in a pictures right now, just wanted you guys to know that I am still alive and kicking!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #108
MisterC

Quote:
It has been a while. I have not had much time for the truck of late, but have been plugging away at a few things. Not much point in a pictures right now, just wanted you guys to know that I am still alive and kicking!
Phew! That's actually good to hear. At the feverish pace you had been keeping, you were making us all look bad.

Great progress so far. Can't wait to see it take its new shape.
350 V-8 - Powerglide

My not so much a build thread as a "Slow Progression Thread":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486894
MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #109
clemdaddy

its really not a bad thing to slow down every now and then.
especially when the days get so short its dark when you go to work and dark when you get home. i strongly dislike this time of year, short days and the cold and all, but the holidays makes it all ok.

happy holidays man, looks like santa came early.
clemdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #110
CRGRS 66

Surprised I didn't see this at disassembly! JB Weld won't fix this, I will have to get a buddy to weld this up for me.

I have a stock pile of parts now that need to be sandblasted or glass bead blasted. I am going tohave to get my sandblast booth put together this weekend.

To all my American freinds, I wish you all a very happy Thanksgiving (ours was last month). Be safe in your travels!
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #111
Ta2Don

Gotta love those hidden surprises!
Posted via Mobile Device
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #112
MARTYZ

CRGR, Can probably find you a replacement if you like, few donor trucks around up here, Doug Currie at Markdale Salvage, Markdale Ont. would have one for sure. Let me know if I can help you out.
MARTYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #113
CRGRS 66

Quote:
CRGR, Can probably find you a replacement if you like, few donor trucks around up here, Doug Currie at Markdale Salvage, Markdale Ont. would have one for sure. Let me know if I can help you out.
That would be awesome! Thanks for the offer! I am looking at it a bit closer and thinking that repairing this one may not be the best idea. If you would check on that and let me know I could pay for it over the phone and ship it using my company's PURO account (passenger side).

Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #114
McMurphy

Quote:
Both of mine are outside waiting to go to the boneyard...(I did the front end swap for the disc brakes)
Not sure what the shipping would be on them, but you are welcome to them.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:38 AM   #115
Snowbound

I can't believe there are no good wrecking yards around there. The pick and pull here is littered with '73-87 trucks and vans. A few older ones show up once in a while too.

I'd ship one to you, but it would get pretty pricey!

Brian
Posted via Mobile Device
1965 Chevy Short Box Stepside, 230 - 3 speed, 4:11 gears, original paint rust free survivor. Now sporting a 383 SBC and TKO-600
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #116
chad64chevy

craigerr, i would replace that lower control arm! happy late thanksgiving, if last month was halloween for us, what was it for you, eh??? lol!! keep the progress coming i need some motovation, well that an good weather, lol!!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #117
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Both of mine are outside waiting to go to the boneyard...(I did the front end swap for the disc brakes)
Not sure what the shipping would be on them, but you are welcome to them.
Thanks but the other issue is customs. sounds like MARTYZ may be able to fix me up, he is less than 2 hours from me, could always head his way after work one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbound View Post
I can't believe there are no good wrecking yards around there. The pick and pull here is littered with '73-87 trucks and vans. A few older ones show up once in a while too.
I'd ship one to you, but it would get pretty pricey!
Brian
Posted via Mobile Device
There aren't any in my direct vicinity, everyone in the busy part of south western Ontario crushes anything that they can't make a quick buck on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
craigerr, i would replace that lower control arm! happy late thanksgiving, if last month was halloween for us, what was it for you, eh??? lol!! keep the progress coming i need some motovation, well that an good weather, lol!!
I agree, and I will, thanks Chad... April Fools maybe????

Old 11-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #118
MARTYZ

Quote:
That would be awesome! Thanks for the offer! I am looking at it a bit closer and thinking that repairing this one may not be the best idea. If you would check on that and let me know I could pay for it over the phone and ship it using my company's PURO account (passenger side).
Will do, see what I can come up with probably get back to you first of the week,New grand daughter arrived today so have some family visiting to do.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #119
Bomp

Quote:
Surprised I didn't see this at disassembly! JB Weld won't fix this, I will have to get a buddy to weld this up for me.
Buying a welder in your near future? Happy be-lated Holidays.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:10 AM   #120
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Sorry I missed this.

I don't have any experience with those steering boxes. I typically either get a good used one, or one from the parts store. Have you checked with your local auto parts store on a rebuilt one?

Quote:
I am considering this steering box from Truck Shop, what do you guys think... (especially you captain) Not having much luck finding a used one in a wrecking yard north of the 49th, and bringing stuff up from the good old USA would prove especially difficult from a wrecking yard.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #121
MARTYZ

Craigerr, got a control arm for you off the 72 GMC, looks really good, here are couple pics, if you like what you see PM me and I will send it your way
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #122
flips72

any updates? cant hardly wait to see that stash of parts being installed.
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #123
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Craigerr, got a control arm for you off the 72 GMC, looks really good, here are couple pics, if you like what you see PM me and I will send it your way
Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
any updates? cant hardly wait to see that stash of parts being installed.
Not much to report as far as accomplishments. I do however have a new best friend in Shallow Lake, Ontario! Marty, I sent you an email, and I can't than you enough for your kindness and effort. My Mom always taught me that... "when you are nice to someone, they are most likely to pay you back". Marty, I look forward to getting up your way this summer, turning a few heads, and tipping a few beverages!

I have not actually done any work to speak of (busy with hockey, hockey, hockey), but have added more parts to the pile. I got a power steering box from Advanced auto parts, $147.00 after the on-line discount of the month. This included the core charge, so if I had a core to send them it would have been $102.00!!!! I have also procured a pitman arm, and a clutch set.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #124
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Hey, it's progress!!
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #125
CRGRS 66

An immense thank you to my new best friend MARTYZ!! Thank you Marty Zeee for sending me the control arm!!! Hope to have some garage time tomorrow, and maybe a bit through out the week as well.
Attached Images