The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2014, 01:09 AM   #26
warrpath4x4

Re: starting them young 1972 K5

nothing major but i at least did something with it today lol.

bout 2 months ago it started wanting to die at stops, hadn't really had time to do anything. today (with fresh snow) i took it into work and changed the plugs and wires also found a vacuum leak. now she purs again.

plugs looked good that i took out

also got my upgraded headlight harness installed.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #27
warrpath4x4

not a big update, installed a cheap tach lastnight, took all of 10 minutes

one thing I hate about auxillary light switches in the dash is that they are usually hard to reach. say you have them on, here comes an on coming car, trying to reach the switch before you blind them. I had the idea to do this in my 4runner but since I got rid of it and will be putting the LED light bar on the K5, here is what I did with a low profile lighted rocker switch.

now with my arm on the arm rest it is within finger reach.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #28
warrpath4x4

our oil rep at work came in today, threw down a cash offer of $6K for the blazer, I didn't even hesitate............ NOPE
Old 02-01-2015, 12:56 PM   #29
Chulisohombre

Looks good. Coming along well. I wish mine was still a daily driver. I miss driving it. Summer is two months away though.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #30
Justin@EntropyRad

awesome truck with character!
Justin@EntropyRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:50 PM   #31
warrpath4x4

thanks
Old 02-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #32
warrpath4x4

crawled under it today to pull and fix/mod the rear bumper and noticed how bad my body mount rubber is so tomorrow I will order a set of poly bushings for it.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #33
warrpath4x4

so this happened this morning

there was a man hole cover (of sorts) over that in my driveway, I went to leave for work and as I started rolling across it I hear cracking, I said a colorful word, then the whole corner of the blazer just dropped. jacked it up with my handy man jack and backed up letting the jack kick out. no damage but I was about an hour late for work.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #34
Chulisohombre

That's a oh s@&! Moment for sure. I'm guessing it just sat down on the axle tube. Glad it didn't cave in fully. Hopefully the city takes care of that hole.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #35
warrpath4x4

ya combination of wedging the tire in and the axle tube touching the ground
Old 02-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #36
warrpath4x4

almost been a year since I updated this, and its not much of an update.

we moved to Elko NV a year ago April, was still daily driving the 72, it started having charging issues, problem was the voltage regulator. picked up a 90 suburban for family trips and the blazer sat for a couple months. piece of junk Optima battery wouldn't hold a charge for more than a week, so I did some swapping and put the battery from the suburban into the 72 and put a centennial group 31 in the suburban.

no more problems.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #37
warrpath4x4

it has been sooooo long since posted on this and about that long since i have done anything with it. we moved again from Elko in July of 2016 and transferred with work again to Yakima Washington to be closer to the grandparents.

bought some land with a house (no shop), used the blazer around the place here and there but basically it has sat for 2-3 years. last fall it wouldn't crank, i messed with it a bit but just ended up towing it out of the field where it was sitting and put it into its parking spot.

3 weeks later the wife walks by it at night, "why is there a light on in there?". the wiring is so hacked, the tach light was on all by itself so i disconnected the battery and it has sat.

plan was to just pull the 350 and drop in a fuel injected 5.3L but who knows when that will be so lately i have been looking at it and wanting to drive it.... and the kid keeps asking to drive it. so i am going to just strip all the engine wiring and rewire it. its still going to take me a month or so because i have 0 time to do it.

just basically wanted to say i still have it and it has not been sold or stripped.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #38
Chulisohombre

Life always seems to get in the way of a resto. Took me 20 years and a divorce and it’s still not even close. But it’s drivable and the family loves it. I miss the days I could daily drive it but I’m happy that I at least have it out all summer. Painless sells a good kit to redo your wiring. I need to address that same issue as well. 40+ years has really started eating away that old wiring.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:07 PM   #39
warrpath4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulisohombre View Post
Life always seems to get in the way of a resto. Took me 20 years and a divorce and it’s still not even close. But it’s drivable and the family loves it. I miss the days I could daily drive it but I’m happy that I at least have it out all summer. Painless sells a good kit to redo your wiring. I need to address that same issue as well. 40+ years has really started eating away that old wiring.
ya i have seen the painless kits, if i were to buy a kit i would go with EZ-wire, i have used their kits a couple times on jeeps and they are usually quite a bit cheaper than painless. on this one though i would end up not using a lot of the kit pieces so i am just going to wire it myself, i plan on upgrading the "big 3" and wiring in a ford starter relay, going with a newer alternator.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #40
Chulisohombre

Ez-wire I haven’t messed with. Guess I’ll research that one for when I do mine. I just used a one wire alternator from summit when I did mine. Cleaned up the whole area with the regulator and harness that runs with it. My ammeter never worked right so getting rid of that wiring didn’t really matter. There’s really only like 20 wires anyway so at least if you do It with your own wires it’s a pretty simple schematic to follow. I’ve already replaced or jumped a few but I’d like to get some of the connections better and replace the fuse box with blade fuses instead of the glsss. It’s getting more difficult to find the glass I’ve been finding.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #41
warrpath4x4

ya i was going to do a 1 wire but then during research i found that the 3 wire really is easy to wire up, you don't have to rev it up to "kick in" the alternator, and they are cheaper and readily available.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #42
warrpath4x4

wasnt working on the blazer but prepping some metal and building a stand for the bead roller.

and ya, next time he needs on long pants lol.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #43
Chulisohombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrpath4x4 View Post
ya i was going to do a 1 wire but then during research i found that the 3 wire really is easy to wire up, you don't have to rev it up to "kick in" the alternator, and they are cheaper and readily available.
Yeah that’s cool. My summit one was only 120 I believe with shipping. Mine comes on at 1800 rpm. So the first time I rev it after it starts it’s charging. I figured the one wire was just easier at the time and I wanted to clean up the wiring. There was so many extras and jumper wires everywhere I just wanted something simple and got rid of a whole piece of harness.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #44
warrpath4x4

once again the blazer is pushed off into next year-dom, cold weather and no shop, no time, other projects yadda yadda yadda. I did buy a CS144 alternator for another project that will not be using it, so i have a 140 amp alt to install in the K5 next year.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #45
warrpath4x4

The first week of April is spring break for my kid, he is heading to the coast with the grandparents. My plan is to fix the wiring issues so hopefully when he comes back i can go out there and start it up and surprise him. Upgrading the charging system while fixing the other electrical issues, installing the new 140 Amp alternator, big 3 upgrade and a 200 Amp breaker.

Question: do i need to or should i remove the external regulator? there wont be any power going to it from the alternator itself.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #46
Chulisohombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrpath4x4 View Post

Question: do i need to or should i remove the external regulator? there wont be any power going to it from the alternator itself.
I removed my regulator when I went to a one wire summit. The ammeter didn’t work anyway. Good to have a volt meter though so you may want to put in a external as I dont think the gauge would work correctly with a alt that’s double stock.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:48 AM   #47
warrpath4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulisohombre View Post
I removed my regulator when I went to a one wire summit. The ammeter didn’t work anyway. Good to have a volt meter though so you may want to put in a external as I dont think the gauge would work correctly with a alt that’s double stock.
Thanks, it has been a while since i have worked on it and couldn't remember what if anything may be powered through the regulator. I have already installed an aftermarket voltage gauge when i was issues before.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #48
Chulisohombre

Yeah no problem. It’s not needed as the only thing it did was one wire put power back to the battery and power the ammeter. One wire was the exciter to start the field in the alternator and one wire was the input from the alt. I left the wire connection plug there but just taped it back to the rest of the harness. Never know if I will use it again for something. The main thing is to figure out if yours is self exciting or if it needs a power wire to the two wire plug on the alt. Mine is self exciting at 1200 rpm. Some you can just jumper off the battery to get the input voltage you need.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #49
warrpath4x4

ya this one needs an exciter but I have a wiring adapter that is set up for it.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:02 PM   #50
warrpath4x4

I feel like I have failed my kid lol, it has been sooooo long since this thing has moved he forgot the top comes off. Since our county is still shut down im hoping to get something done on it this long weekend.