The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

Re: 1964 GMC 3/4 ton build :D

Hey Dj,
Actually that engine is the Cadillac 6.2 liter out of an escalade. The harness is a factory new in box setup that I converted myself using factory wiring diagrams. Biggest hurdle was exhaust manifolds I went through 5 sets to find some that worked with my frame setup the ones I am using are off the 2010 l99 vvt engine from a 2010 Camaro. Mounts I used dirty dingo skiers mount with factory mounts and frame brackets for the v 8 truck. I had to space the back of the 6l90e about 3 inches to get the right driveline angle I needed. Will post more in a bit.

Sean
Posted via Mobile Device

1964 GMC I1500 2wd (my baby) 8.1 allison 6 spd conversion Aka Smurf http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=438342
2016 Ram Big Horn 4WD parts hauler
2010 Chevy HHR wife new car after the circled problem blew up!!!
1981 Ram D150 /6 auto Wife's sunday driver

Living outside Gladewater Texas now working in Longview at the hospital there

future project toys:
1966 Chevy K14 carryall aka Smurfette future project 283/auto overdrive http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551867
sdwolff98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

I am also currently working on a high mount ac compressor mount and s home built cold air intake for this engine as well will be posting more pics when I get my home net fixed this evening.

Sean
Posted via Mobile Device

1964 GMC I1500 2wd (my baby) 8.1 allison 6 spd conversion Aka Smurf http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=438342

future project toys:
1966 Chevy K14 carryall aka Smurfette future project 283/auto overdrive http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551867
Old 03-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

ok started another few projects the last few days lol. Getting the frame harness to the rear of truck in place is one will be posting up some pics of that pretty soon. Going smoothly there since I have had it up there once before. NExt two are starting my gauge cluster panel and experiment with some plumbing elbows and tubes for a cold air intake template to have a mandrell bent cold air intake runner made.

take a look and Enjoy.

DJ I used the front set of engine mount bracket holes in my frame plus the slider mounts to get everything situated nicely on the frame. I did have to trim off one of the ac mount bosses on the bottom side of the engine to clear the motor cushion was another issue I ran into as well. The wiring harness itself was a fairly simple deal to modify from a factory setup. I got the factory diagrams and went through and removed the rear o2 sensors, evap controls, ac compressor controls, battery current sensor, alternator controls and a few other things. I also removed the cooling fan controls since I am going to use a different setup there since chevy made that pretty complicated for me to make use of. I am wiring one set of wire for the fans into my air conditioning unit control panel so both come on when ac is activated. Once I had the chaff out of the harness I routed the fuel pump relay wire to a custom panel and relay set up I mounted inside the cab. Then I set up a powertrain relay for all the power wires spread throughout the harness next. Little more bulky than the htree wire most people do but I now have a fuse setup for each o2 unit, bank a and b fuel injectors etc... I also have one set of constant power wires on one fuse for the trans and ecm units.. That way if I have any blown fuses it wont be very hard to track down the problem where it may lie. Another thing I did was strip the harness back and recased it after seeing how much extra length is in the harness that I did not need after rerouting eveything a little more efficient for my setup. I ended up shortening some of the wires buy enclosing them in the casing split loom I used. I also bought an obdII connector and set up the connector with a constant hot, can hi can lo leads and two grounds will know more when the gm tech comes by to look at it and see if I made any mistakes. Also extended the ecm ground wire for the Check engine ligh so I can mount it in the dash panel you will see below. I also got rid of the powertrain control activation off the harness and plugged that setup into the coil wire in my trucks harness so it activates all the power leads in the engine harness via a relay.
Will post a bit more on this later..

Sean
Attached Images

future project toys:
Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

Friday I am going out to caddo mills and pick up a fuel tank pump and harness of an 08 trailblazer ss sO ican get the fuel pump and wiring together for my truck. A friend of mine in my club is pricing me out a fuel tank at the moment and he said he probably will be able to reuse the original tank pump in it. So now I need to go back and route the wires back into the ecm for that purpose. There are 4 or five wires I will have to add back into the harness luckily I didnt thrown any of the parts I removed away so I have the wires and connectors availble for the ecm...

Sean

future project toys:
Old 03-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

Got some more work done on the dash panel today and very happy with the results to date. I am going to have to redo the brackets with some thicker aluminum l bracket so I can tap the holes for 6-32 socket head stainless cap is the only real change I can see that I need to make to it now. That will allow the tapping and bolting of the faceplate in but also give it a little more rigidity in mounting to prevent flexing of the panel once the gauges are in place. For the outside edges of the plastic I am going to my machinist and have him cut out some 1/8 inch thick stainless for a surround for the panel and possible the gauges as well will have to see when I get the gauze holes cut out and go from there.

Sean
lol I just got to looking at my dash and see something that will bring the lower panel together on the left you see the old radio knob I recycled into the dash. I need to get a stainless button head cap bolt to go in there and I just looking at the pictures saw a matching hole on the other side with a plug in it.. chuckles. I happen to have another of those radio knobs laying around to put there and both sides will match perfectly!!@!!
Attached Images

future project toys:
Old 03-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
trevrolet65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwolff98 View Post
Got some more work done on the dash panel today and very happy with the results to date. I am going to have to redo the brackets with some thicker aluminum l bracket so I can tap the holes for 6-32 socket head stainless cap is the only real change I can see that I need to make to it now. That will allow the tapping and bolting of the faceplate in but also give it a little more rigidity in mounting to prevent flexing of the panel once the gauges are in place. For the outside edges of the plastic I am going to my machinist and have him cut out some 1/8 inch thick stainless for a surround for the panel and possible the gauges as well will have to see when I get the gauze holes cut out and go from there.

Sean
lol I just got to looking at my dash and see something that will bring the lower panel together on the left you see the old radio knob I recycled into the dash. I need to get a stainless button head cap bolt to go in there and I just looking at the pictures saw a matching hole on the other side with a plug in it.. chuckles. I happen to have another of those radio knobs laying around to put there and both sides will match perfectly!!@!!
The left radio knob is the oil slick, the right is the passenger eject, lol.
trevrolet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #7
trevrolet65

Man you make that look easy, like you had it planned all along. Just now catch'n up to your thread. I like how did your wiring, the fuse boxes and console and speakers and ..... NICE!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

Hey Trev,
Lol I wish it were that easy. I just started coming up with little things I knew I was capable of. They aren't quite perfect yet but am very happy with how things have turned out so far. This latest project got started due to the fact most gauge companies make gauge aluminum panels that fit the standard gauges and I am going with the speed hut 4inchers so I started hunting around in my junk fot scrap that I could use. Luckily Ihave alooooott of 1/4 inch abd sheet scraps laying around for these little setups. I am planning on a set of 3 way jl speakers in the front of the truck as well as the back and get things balanced sound wise. I haven't figured out a spot for a set of 6x9 but give me time lol..After I get the basic layout done on the gauge setup I will be going back and finishing up the wiper motor and linkages in the truck to get those ready then start on the steering column next.. I have a few ideas for the ididit "direct fit" column which was everything but a direct fit lol..

Sean

future project toys:
Old 03-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
trevrolet65

I can't wait to see what column you have in store. If it's anything like the rest of your work it'll be sweet.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
gostranger
65 suburban vortec 5.3 bagged

Awesome build I like the quality of work the ls motor looks great I ran the same in my suburban take a look at my cold air intake keep up the great job!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
gostranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #11
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

hey Trev,
Yeah I like that Idea bet I could get the machinist to make me a set that says those on em lol

Sean

future project toys:
Old 03-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #12
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

Well finally getting somewhere closer to the interior setup lol. Started working on the steering column tonight and start in on the initial fitting in the truck. I bought a Ididit "Direct Fit" as they said column through summit. When I got the column it shore as heck was not a direct fit as they said ijits!!!! there were no provisions for the factory bolt assemblies on the column like my original setup. Well after looking and experimenting with several chevy columns of later makes I decided to stick with this tho the column wiper and bright controls would have been very nice lol. Am gonna make the besst of this and have come up with a few monds to the column to make it work better then their design Ideas.. At the tops of the column inside will drill two small 5/16 or slightly larger holes since I have some small jnuts that will slip in to the column housing without hitting the steering shaft inside and put some small bolts through this area plus a t clamp setup to keep the column from rotating on me while driving will do a very similar setup inside the engine compartment as well will take more pics as it progresses. I am working on getting the column exactly where I want it before I start drilling and putting things in permanent. Tommorrow will be putting the seat in the truck and getting the steering wheel and column lined up so it is correct then in tilt mode and not sticking off at an angle like I first had it lol......

here are some initial pics!
yeah the blue doesnt match my trucks color but hell was all I had at the time *chuckles*

Sean
Attached Images

future project toys:
Old 03-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
truckzilla

Thumbs up Re: 1964 GMC 3/4 ton build :D

Go Sean go! It's looking good my friend. I hope I don't encounter that much hassle when I get to my column since I'm going to use an early 2000's tilt unit in place of my '81 stiff and unyeilding one.
truckzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

Ok got the holes drilled for the j nuts to mount on the bracket and inset into the clumn and the small bolts to go through so they lock in place. Waiting on some t clamps at oreillys now to get everything in place and locked down to the brackets.

Truck I think the 2000 clumn is gonna be an interesting experiment in your truck. Have you seen anyone else do that swap? I know one guy in my truck club with a 66 chevy truck that has that setup will have to ask him to get some shots of it and how it was installed for you.

Sean
Attached Images

future project toys:
Old 03-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
truckzilla

Unhappy Re: 1964 GMC 3/4 ton build :D

On my column swap, no, I haven't seen or even heard of anyone else who has done that. I was intending on getting a tilt column from a pre '88 Chevy or GMC. The guy who I bought this one from said it would fit and after hearing his sob story about being out of work while he recovered from some injury, I went ahead and bought it from him. If it did, great, if it took some work to make it fit, OK, but my first comparison with it and the stocker was that it is probably 4 or 5 inches shorter. I'm thinking that there'll be some fab work in its future if I stick with it!
But pictures of how someone else did it would be terrific!
truckzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #16
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

Hey Truck,
I emailed him and asked if he would send some pics to me of it. I have a feeling that you will need a bit of fab work on that one
But that is what makes all of this alot of fun!
Sean

future project toys:
Old 03-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #17
trevrolet65

The p/o of my 84 installed a 88 or 90 or 91 or----------column w/tilt, non airbag. I noticed on the wiring harness was longer, they just notched the plug so the longer pigtail would fit. Don't know what I'm gonna do 'bout that yet, undecided. The guy at the inspection asked "you don't have bright lights?" I told him it's on the floor.He looked at me funny, lol. They said the cruise did work, left it off during head swap, oops. I'll try to get some pics when it's light outside. By the way Sean, looking good.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #18
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

Well going to have to work on the carpet some more grrr. When I put the trim plate in for the bottom of the column it made my carpet all cattywhumpus on that side of the truck so time to rework it again lol. Tommorrow night heading to grandview tx to pick up a set of factory 3/4 unmolested leaf springs from a truck the guy is parting out. Any whoare interested in the bugger jump on it he wants 480$ for what is left which is a complete body and frame - axle and trans and leafs, has factory dash closk, ac cab, under bed tire carrier, rear backup lights factory, bb 305v6 enine, radiator and etcs.

apparently I am getting a bonus on the springs teh factory ones had 7 leafs in them in addition to these being factory springs there is an additional set of factory or aftermarket 2 1/4 inch wide overload springs on top of those for 40 for the complete pair.... will have no trailer towing problems once them bad boys are on my truck

Also got the driverside truck seat in last night and set down need to go check my bolt lengths this evening think they may be too long at the moment since I changes the mounting plates underneath the seats will know more in a bit!!!! I used some thinner steel plates under the seats and have full rom back and forth on the tracks without looking like a child on a car booster seat in the truck lol.. Have encountered some rubbing of the console against the seat but will leave that problem for another day lol.

Sean
Attached Images

future project toys:
Old 03-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
trevrolet65

That seat look comfy, better than this puter chair. Let me know when you go to grandview, installed a lot of a/c's out there some 10 years ago. If I can get off. Like to take my son I'm building the truck for, though he might be celebrating his daughters one week old day on friday. Is that a lumbar knob on that seat?
Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

Hey Trev,
YEah those are lumbar adjust knobs on the seat sides they are out of a 2002 up truck. Some of the truck seats even had power revile in some models and power lumber to boot.

Sean

future project toys:
Old 03-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #21
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

Got the leaf springs and overloads last night and they are in the back of my truck awaiting tear down and repainting. Going to have to get some new square u bolts made for em tho the ole bugger took a cutting torch to a few of them luckily I have one or two that are untouched to get new ones made from. What I got was a factory 7 spring pack plus factory additional 4 overload springs with a spacer block assembly to get them all to work together. Will be posting more pics in next few weeks when I get things started with them. First thing is to get a 20 foot roll of teflon liner for when they are painted and ready to reassembly. Also need to find some bolt on fan shackles for each end of them as well. Another issue I found out is no one makes the rubber subbers for this width leaf spring anymore so I am making my own with some things from elliots hardware stor lol so far they look like they will serve and work nicely! Seats are also both installed but have a little rub between them and the center console rather annoying sounds like a bad case of gas lol. May have to make the holes in the floor board a bit longer to get a little clearance between seat and console setup.

Sean
Attached Images

future project toys:
Old 03-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #22
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

here are some pictures of the installed seats and interior now next step is to get the bright light switch mounted to the floor board and start putting the rest of the console together once the cimputer is reflashed to factory stock. Going to do hp tuner to tune it and get it stand alone ready. Also when the factory gm guy come over going to have him sinc the vin on the computer and trans so they will both operate together without issues.

Sean
Attached Images

future project toys:
Old 03-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #23
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

And the last order of business the speaker panels are going to have to be tweaked as I found out today sheesh but oh well knew it might happen. The seats are almost sitting on top of the 4 inch midrange openings so going to have to make a new set of panels and relocate the speaker outwards a little bit to get em to clear the seats and be unobstructed for good sound.

Sean
Attached Images

future project toys:
Old 03-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #24
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

ok have been up to more nefarious and cheap project to pass the time while saving a little money here and there for a windshield and computer reprogram. 1st order of businedd underhood relay power junction and also junction for the alternator battery charge wire to hook up to when it is installed. This unit I got direct from chevy for 20 bucks off a 08 hummer h2 and h3 truck. The stud in this is metric version of 3/8 more than capable of handling up to 200 or more amps off the alternator working on a mounting bracket and insulator plate with some scrap abs I have laying about. The next couple of pics are of the old heater core and fan casing assembly I am looking at converting into a cold air intake setup via the old heater air inlet hole on the firewall. Thinking will decimate a bunch more of the scrap abs floating around in the garage for this project also. Going to reuse the top sections of this unit and the bottom half will me made from the 1/4inch thick abs I have lots of extra laying around at the moment. Still looking at how to design it so it clears the ac unit hose and a few other odds n ends in the way. The mega fuse under the hood is definitely gonna have to be moved to make it all come together. Then next will be running the piping from the throttle body over to this setup I am experimenting upon lol..

Sean
Attached Images

future project toys:
Old 03-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #25
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

Ok got the preliminaries and measurements done for the prospected converted heater to cold air intake box setup. Will upload some measurements of the area in question. Looking like I can get away witha filter that is 6-8 inches long, between 5-6 inches diameter with a 4 inch inlet still kinda looking at diff k&n filters right now. Located some stainless flex exhaust pipe at oreillys for the throttle body ducting and maf setup. The bottom of the box will be made from some more of the 1/4 inch thick abs plastic I have been using and will use a soldering iron to melt/seal the edges and seams that way will bond if together and prevent leaks as well. the bolts and studs coming out of the top of the firewall will support the bottom of the box to the firewall and the top will bolt in the factory location. Looking once it is assembled creating a water shield bolted to the top of the heater box but still allow air to get to the filter setup.

Sean
Attached Images

future project toys: