The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
custom63

My 1963 Build Thread

Hello all,
Been readin this forum it seems like forever now and everytime I do, it just gets me that much more fired up about tearing into my project. Here is the basic back ground of my truck. I have a 1963 C10 LWB fleetside. Purchased the truck from a family friend, so I have had my eye on her since 98' but didn't get her til 03'. Since then it became my on again off again dialy driver. It drives like a champ with a totally rebuilt 250 topped with a clifford intake and Holly 4 barrel carb backed by a TH350.

However I feel its time to start to turn her into that "vision" I had way back when I first layed eyes on her. So let the tear down begin! This will be my first project so any and all advise is much apprieciated!

Now I am goin to try and figure out how to post the pics.
Attached Images

custom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: My 1963 Build Thread

From a fellow six-three-er...that's way cool and welcome to the tear down portion of the show.

What's first on the agenda after the tear down?

BTW...if you're planning on keeping the L6, I have a nice set of brand new Clifford headers available for sale...see photo below.

Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes

Last edited by vin63; 12-02-2008 at 08:00 PM.
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
custom63

Thanks vin63,

Well to start my plans off I have already pickup up a 64' parts truck. My 63' is a LWB and I really like the look of the SWB. So instead of taking on the task of shortening the frame I got the 64' SWB which came with a pretty straight and rust free bed. So I am going to be doing alot of work on the frame way before I start to take apart and 63' to transfer the sheetmetal and drive tran, etc. I have also already pickup up an 80' frontend to update the brakes.

As far as the 250, Yes I am keeping it. It would be great to have a set of matching headers to go along with my intake. What are you asking? And are they blue?!?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
custom63

Here is the front end I pickup up. I plan on just using the arms, spindles, and brakes and just keep the stock crossmember in place.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom63 View Post
Thanks vin63,
As far as the 250, Yes I am keeping it. It would be great to have a set of matching headers to go along with my intake. What are you asking? And are they blue?!?
Yep, they came from Clifford with blue paint (they still have the stock number stickers on them) to protect them. I was planning on having them ceramic-metallic (Jet Hot, etc.) coated, but never got a chance - I figure this way the new owner can coat/paint them however they like and not have to pay the extra $150 for the coating from Clifford like you have to now ($509 for the headers new). It looks like you live just Northeast of Sac, so how does $300 delivered sound?
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Welcome to the jungle. As you well know there is alot of info and great advice here. Looking at your pix brings back memories of when I started my build. Keep us up to date with the pix. Looks like you have a good platform to work off of.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #7
custom63

vin63
That sounds like a heck of a deal. But now that I see that number infront of me I am thinkin that I should just keep on track with the chasis part of the build cuz I still have a bunch of things I have to drop $$$ into. But thanks for the sweet offer.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
custom63

Thanks for the welcoming Alan,
I have been following your thread. I just want to say WOW! You are doin some great work. What an inspiration. Alot of what you have done is what I am looking and wanting to do, except for the crazy dash mod. Thats way out of my league. The truck does have a good platform, minor rust, minor dents. Just need to rehab it all and bring it down.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:17 PM   #9
LILRED66
Account Suspended

custom63:

Welcome to the forums from Kansas City, KS. I am looking forward to seeing your progress. Please keep us updated with pictures.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:35 PM   #10
custom63

Thanks LILRED,
Its going to be a slow process due to the fact that I am on a tight budget and that my "shop" consists of little more than a car canopy and the back end of a half falling down barn. Which one day will be the sight of my 30'x40' shop. By the way your shop is just down right sweet!
Old 03-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
custom63

Its been a very long time since I last updated anything on my build. As alot of you can understand either it be the cold winter weather or the lack of funds thats put a little bit of a hold up on my progress. But now the weather is getting much nicer.....a comfy 70 degrees today! I've got myself back out and working on things.
What I have done is tear down the doner 80' front end and started its rebuild, removed the cab from my doner 64' and have started to disassemble the bed. Here is where I have a question. I have removed all bed strips and cross sills except for the rear most cross sill. I have removed the four bolts on both sides and then I noticed that it is also welded in place too. Is that how it cam from the factory or has someone messed with it?
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

It's looking like a nice build. But that setup doesn't look familiar to me so it probably isn't stock. Though I'm not an expert by any means.

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #13
custom63

Thanks Twiggy, its been a slow process. I went and took a look at my 63 LWB and from what I can see I think it is welded too but I am not sure. I want to take my cut off wheel to it but I am not sure.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Definitely understand. You might want to try and pm Tony. I'm sure he could definitely confirm.

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #15
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Its been a very long time since I last updated anything on my build. As alot of you can understand either it be the cold winter weather or the lack of funds thats put a little bit of a hold up on my progress. But now the weather is getting much nicer.....a comfy 70 degrees today! I've got myself back out and working on things.
What I have done is tear down the doner 80' front end and started its rebuild, removed the cab from my doner 64' and have started to disassemble the bed. Here is where I have a question. I have removed all bed strips and cross sills except for the rear most cross sill. I have removed the four bolts on both sides and then I noticed that it is also welded in place too. Is that how it cam from the factory or has someone messed with it?
That is the way it is supposed to be. Everyone has a different way of splitting the weld. I use a grinder, but be carefull and take your time. Some use a hacksaw of some sort. Glad to see you back at it.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #16
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

From a fellow '63 owner...Welcome aboard Custom63 !!!

I see your in Auburn....I'm in San Jose, about 3 hours away from you.

We drive out there a couple times a year to GrassValley/Nevada City to wife grandmas house off of 49....Have you heard of "The Willow" restaurant ??

Anyway....Cant wait to see more !!!

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"

Last edited by ChiefRocka; 03-13-2009 at 10:39 PM.
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:25 AM   #17
custom63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
That is the way it is supposed to be. Everyone has a different way of splitting the weld. I use a grinder, but be carefull and take your time. Some use a hacksaw of some sort. Glad to see you back at it.
Thanks for clarifying things for me Alan. I think I am going to try and use a cut off wheel on my grinder and very carefully chip away at it. I’m nervous but I guess that’s the fun of it. The bed is in okay shape, the PO appears to have tried their hand at some bondo work on a couple spots so who knows what it looks like underneath it. I am hoping that its not as bad as that inner fender you just worked on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
From a fellow '63 owner...Welcome aboard Custom63 !!!

I see your in Auburn....I'm in San Jose, about 3 hours away from you.

We drive out there a couple times a year to GrassValley/Nevada City to wife grandmas house off of 49....Have you heard of "The Willow" restaurant ??

Anyway....Cant wait to see more !!!
Chief,
Hello from Auburn! I am pretty sure I have either been there or riden by that restaurant on one of my harley rides that me and some buddies do around this area. That section of Hwy49 going towards Downieville is an awesome ride. Is that shot of you and your kids down by that bridge that crosses the Yuba River on hwy49? BTW your truck looks sweet. Are you sticking with the old school rat rod theme?
Old 03-14-2009, 01:56 AM   #18
custom63

Just wanted to add some more pics that I took today as well. I might as well add them before they are asked for and stay ahead of the game!
#1 Current condition and deconstruction of the bed
#2 A shot of my "shop".....I just bought my place in July of 08' and there was an old barn out back, so I gutted it, built a work bench, hung some lights and made it my own. And yes it does have a dirt floor. Its hillbilly but it works for now. When money and time permits there is going to be a 30x40 real shop put in its place.
#3 Another angle of the shop and the shortbed frame. Hey try using a cherry picker on a dirt floor
#4 Max keeping a guard on the '63
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2009, 01:56 AM   #19
custom63

Pulled the cover on my rear diff to see what ratio I have and here is what is stamped on it. 3817778 11 41GM 9 63 1 27. Can someone help me figure out what all those numbers are telling me?
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2009, 01:59 AM   #20
Hart_Rod

Cool build. 41/11 = 3.73 gear ratio.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:06 AM   #21
custom63

Thanks Hart rod!
I have a TH350 thats goin in it. How do you think it will do at higher speeds? Will she be screaming at 55!? I am tryin to figure out the best way to go. I need to convert the rear to 5 x 5 either by buying new axles or getting a whole new rearend.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:19 AM   #22
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Thanks Hart rod!
I have a TH350 thats goin in it. How do you think it will do at higher speeds? Will she be screaming at 55!? I am tryin to figure out the best way to go. I need to convert the rear to 5 x 5 either by buying new axles or getting a whole new rearend.
Depends on how tall of tire you run. A 30" won't be to bad, but smaller than that and you might want to trade the TH350 for a 700R4. Unless you can find a cheap 5 lugger, I would just get new axles. TTYL.

R/
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:17 AM   #23
Heater63

Question for you Custom..what technique did you use to lift the cab?
Here in the "mirror universe" I am a few day behind you, and just now ready to lift the cab on my 63 StepSide. I was planning on crossing chains inside the cab and lifting with an engine hoist.

BTW, I looked at mine, looks like yours, so yes that is a factory weld that we have to cut.

good luck! will follow your build!
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2009, 01:23 AM   #24
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater63 View Post
Question for you Custom..what technique did you use to lift the cab?
Here in the "mirror universe" I am a few day behind you, and just now ready to lift the cab on my 63 StepSide. I was planning on crossing chains inside the cab and lifting with an engine hoist.

BTW, I looked at mine, looks like yours, so yes that is a factory weld that we have to cut.

good luck! will follow your build!

Take a look here
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:03 AM   #25
custom63

I did what Captainfab posted in that link except I did it using a 4x4 and some tie down straps. However I highly recommend building one made out of steel. There is another thread on here somewhere with lots of pics showing that type of setup.