The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
Old Fireman

looking for help

working on 1952 chevy truck ,almost complete with mock-up . working on doors ,chopped aprox. 3 inches . truck was already chopped and welded back whem I got it. the doors are completely hollow. all I have is hinges . nothing for windows.. vents are removed from door. Need advise and options on what to do ; and where to get parts or kits. please help.!
Old Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
Speedbumpauto

Re: looking for help

Before you go any further, make sure you have or get the windshield cut and that it fits the opening. NOW is the time to handle the windshield. I know this from 2 weeks of anxiety while facing the problems with getting my windshield. If one piece side windows are available for your body style, I would go that way. Easy to cut those and you can make patterns yourself. I found the wing windows to be problematic on my chop. There is a guy here who has a chopped AD, hopefully he will chime in.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
_Ogre

''looking for help'' everyone is looking for help, next time use a search specific title, might get more help

all the glass on a 52 is flat and easy to cut,
mr48 will be your best bet on cutting new glass
i'll recommend 1/4'' plywood or plexiglass templates installed with new rubber

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #4
oldman3

Vic, glad to see you posted on here, maybe you can get some better help...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
OrrieG

From seeing posts over the years about chopped tops it seems a lot get sold when the original fabricator discovers he cannot get a windshield to fit and passes the problem on to the next guy. I'd recommend single side glass to, I converted my 59 and it was a relatively painless process. There is a real good thread on the Task Force conversion, don't know if same exists for the AD series, but basic principal is the same.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #6
Race.it

Chevytruckglass do single side window kits for the 52-55 3100

They may do custom glass also (don't know)

You need to look at the doors to see if they have the bit that mounts the vent windows (joins outer and inner skins) there is a vid on YouTube showing how to fit single side windows and what you need to cut.

May be your best option if the doors are originally with vent windows.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
mr48chev

Red face Re: looking for help

Almost any "good" full service autoglass shop worth it's salt can cut the glass for the truck as it's all flat laminated glass. This is where you are probably better off to go to one of the older glass shops in the area that has been in the same spot for the past 40 or more years though as they won't panic like the new get em in and get em out places will.

On hey the one piece door glass for the chopped truck some glass shops can cut plate glass (tinted or plain) and send it off to be tempered which has less chance of cracking when someone slams the door on these trucks and no doubt someone will slam your door.

The guts for the doors are available through most of the vendors. You need the pieces front and rear for the glass channel to run it.

You will need channel guides similar to these on the rear side
https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail..._Lower_Rear.ht

Here is the whole list of door glass channel pieces from Chevs of the 40's I only used them because they show both the front and rear channel guides. For one piece windows you need the channel guides for a 47/50 truck.
https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/dept/G...nnel+Kits.html

Window regulators, stock style or kit of your choice.

Door latches, I highly recommend going with some sort of bear claw style latches as the stock AD truck latches are prone to pop open if they are worn even a bit. My wife fell out of my truck 36 years ago because the passenger door popped open while she was leaning against it. She still packs the scars from the road surface on her face an knee.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:37 PM   #8
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
My wife fell out of my truck 36 years ago because the passenger door popped open while she was leaning against it. She still packs the scars from the road surface on her face an knee.
did the scars on your noggin ever heal up?
if that was my wife, she'd open them up every now and then

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:35 PM   #9
Old Fireman

thanks for all the input . I think we have come to a decision on permanently sealing the vent glass. the idea is to use a 55-59 division front channel and modify it to fit. use another cut down and fix them back to back. then fix the vent glass by wrapping it in rubber and squeezing into place. then we can use the original window regulators and glass. Any comments or ideas on this. May be silly sounding but we are pretty good fabricators and build just about anything. We just don't normally work on vehicles.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:12 PM   #10
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
did the scars on your noggin ever heal up?
if that was my wife, she'd open them up every now and then
No didn't get any as she was leaning back against the door as she was wont to do in those days in the same manner that I had told her NOT to do a number of times. The truck didn't have seat belts in it that morning but had them before the day was over.

Folks on Old Fireman's glass, remember that his truck is chopped and he cannot go to old truck glass . com and just order glass for it. His glass will all have to be cut by a local glass shop unless he is extremely good at cutting patterns out of 1/4 inch Masonite to send off to some class shop to have glass cut.
the m
Making patterns out of masonite or other 1/4 inch thick material isn't a bad idea anyhow as you can fit it to the rubber and your time spent may save a bit of glass shop cost.

One more thing, there is window channel (to go around the door glass) available for the single piece windows to be run without the metal trim around the glass. It would be a serious challenge to cut the metal glass frames down for the chopped top.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:50 PM   #11
OrrieG

48, I had the same issues with mine, but did have seat belts. Never lost anyone, the kids actually thought it was cool to lean out and grab the door while rolling. Pretty sure more than one pedestrian thought child services should be called...
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:08 PM   #12
49bourbon

Old fireman I have a non chopped 49 suburban. I wanted to eliminate the center moulding strip and found a shop that did a v butt. Since glass is flat you should be able to do the same without much difficulty. As said above all the vendor have the regulators etc to rebuild the doors. I think there are some tech tips over on stovebolt.com
49bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:51 AM   #13
Old Fireman

Thanks for the good info and advise,,I am going to go check out the stuff that MR48chev mentioned.. I talked with local glass shop , they have assured me that cutting the glass to fit is no problem...and I can cut glass templetes of 1/4 inch luan plywood..my main concern is all the metal inside the door and the rubber in window opening.. I would rather do the one piece glass.. I just wished I could find a kit with all pieces except the glasss..Thanks again Folks .. Im listening
Old 01-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
mr48chev

It probably won't ease your pain on the missing door innards but I've got about a dozen doors off these trucks that I have accumulated over the years and maybe two have the inside hardware in them. That seems to be some of the first stuff that goes if they are a parts truck at some period in their lives.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
oldman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fireman View Post
Thanks for the good info and advise,,I am going to go check out the stuff that MR48chev mentioned.. I talked with local glass shop , they have assured me that cutting the glass to fit is no problem...and I can cut glass templetes of 1/4 inch luan plywood..my main concern is all the metal inside the door and the rubber in window opening.. I would rather do the one piece glass.. I just wished I could find a kit with all pieces except the glasss..Thanks again Folks .. Im listening
Vic, Nu-Relic does sell a kit with NO glass, but it is expensive. You would still need to add the felts, etc. Link http://www.shop.nu-relics.com/51-55-...-15181-201.htm Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #16
Race.it

Chevytruckglass will also sell you the parts without glass, as I looked into that for sending the items to the UK.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #17
mr48chev

Do you have a link for them Race it? That is a new one to me and a search didn't bring the name up.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #18
Race.it

http://www.classictruckglass.com
Old 01-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #19
Old Fireman

Just got off the phone with Classic truck glass ..they do not offer the lower rear channel,,but they did have the rest of it,,and you have the option of manuel or power.. I prefer manuel,, also the window regulator ,, they say you must use a 1947 regulator with this kit..and they have those .
Old 01-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #20
Race.it

Lower rear channel I think you can get from lmc, classic industry's from memory.