The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
63whoopie

Truck/ Engine decisions decisions- LT1 vs LS

Hey Y'all-
I'm one of those people who reads alot more than I post because I haven't had the time or money to work on my '63 for a year or more. Well, there's a good chance that's about to change. I am doing some shifting of what I own (currently 3 half or not running antique cars/trucks and 2 work/everyday trucks). I'm tired of making 2 payments on work trucks that only continually depreciate, so I'm thinking of selling 2 and buying a different truck to meet my work needs. The only problem is that I don't want to drive back and forth to school and around town all the time in a 3500 4x4 diesel. As such, I have been thinking of selling the F150 I use daily and using my '63 as my personal vehicle (It's already paid for, will get my around, is easy to work on, and has a high "cool" factor).

So, this brings me to the question: my truck has a inline 250 w/ a 3 speed. I am planning on dropping it, adding disc brakes, and maybe A/C. I really want to add a modern, fuel-injected engine and keep a manual transmission. So, I have been looking for a T56 transmission to put behind the 6.0 LS block I picked up. Only problem is I don't have the funds to build it and stroke it out like I'd like to. Anyway, in my serch, I found a LT1 hooked to its origional T56 transmission with ECU, wiring harnesses, sensors, accessories, brackets, wiring, etc. all attached. Engine is supposedly 56,000 miles from a 1997 Camaro and was going into a old car before the owner ran out of funds. He has documentation to confirm everything, he says.

My question is this: I know the LS engines are great, totally new architecture, easy power to budget ratio, etc. I know this, this is why I bought a block. But the LT1 engine is $1,200 and really looks like it'd be a good deal. My only reservation is am I going backward in technology by using an LT1? Its a pretty simple installation and the engine is complete (engine mounts, transmission support, driveshaft, etc). I'm a college student and have started my own lawn care business, so I don't really have much money to spend. What do y'all think? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Last edited by 63whoopie; 12-16-2010 at 12:52 AM.
63whoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Truck/ Engine decisions decisions- LT1 vs LS

The LT1's aren't bad engines, but they do have their issues. The main one being the Opti-spark distributor. The original ones were not good, and to replace them is $$$....around $225-250 I believe. The cooling system is supposed to be better though with the reverse coolant flow.

If it were me, I would hang tight and see if I could find a complete 5.3 or 6.0 around the same price range. The installation costs will be about the same, but you would be better off with the LS design engine IMO.

If you haven't already, I would suggest checking out the 'LSx Swaps' sub-forum in the 'Engine and Drivetrain' section. That'll give you sone ideas and insight as to what is being done.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 12-16-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
LT1 Burb

1200 bucks, are you kidding me. i would take it in a heartbeat without even thinking about it, the tranny is worth 1200 bucks. I have driven my LT1 suburban over 15000 miles and it has never ever even hiccupped once. I can even scrape 21MPG out of it witha 700R4, don't get me wrong, LS1 motors are cool, but you are going to be into that swap for well over 6K by the time you put it together. Seriously, if you are not interested I am.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

I dont know about the LS, but the LT1 Opti is something I would stay away from. I had a 94 Caprice with no issues, but I learned about the Opticrap on another forum when I had that car. When the Opti works it works great, but the location is a big issue.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

So you already have the 6.0? if you have it, then use it, put it in there stock and drive the wheels off of it. Your not going to get the mileage that you would get with a LT or even a 5.3, but it is a great start and a great engine.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
63whoopie

Everyone-
Thanks for the responses. Just to give a little more info for clarification, I have a replacement Scoggin-Dickey LS iron block with no guts, just the block. My plan is to one day have it bored and stroked out to a 408, but that requires about 5K that I don't have to spend on an engine. From my research, I believe that the problems with the Opti-spark were corrected by 1997. I think. I agree that the transmission is worth near this much (the ones I find are from $800-$1,200) and I'd still have to find an engine with all the associated electronics and accessories. So, for a few years I'm thinking of going with the LT1 while I save and learn so I can build a propper LS motor (which I originally bought with the intention of building a stroker for my cherry '71 El Camino). And then, I still have to find a manual transmission to go with it, so I'm back to the T56.... while it is not my first choice, I keep thinking the LT1 makes a lot of since to be reliable and get around.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

OK, I wasnt aware it was a bare block, I would go the way your going with the info you clarified, happy building!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I wouldn't waste time with the LT, stuff like the engine mounts and driveshaft that you get may/will have to be modified to fit the truck anyway.
I would just locate a decent trans and a 4.8 or 5.3; this way you can have the "newer" style engine and enjoy its benefits, while you source parts for your build. This way any parts you purchase for the swap (mounts, driveshaft, wiring etc) will be able to carry over to the 6.0 if/when you get it together.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
pmkrew

Lt1 for 1200 vs a 250 i6 is way forward tech. The lt.'s were very good engines and only bettered by the later ls engines. I would get that lt1 and drop it in, change the ignition to msd if/ when it fails...
Posted via Mobile Device
pmkrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
edflores

5.3 with a carb. Shouldnt cost you too much. I got mine for about 1000 minus the carb. 400 plus 600 for the MSD/Edelbrock kit. I had the trans(700r4) already.
edflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
LT1 Burb

They changed the way the distributor was vented in 96 and that ended all the condensation problems.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #12
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

I've got a '94 Firebird Formula with an LT1 and a 4L60E. The car has 140,000 miles on it, runs beautifully, and has more than enough power to put the car sideways with a full throttle punch at 45 mph. The main issues with the optispark were a combination of venting, and sealing issues that left them very voulnerable to moisture. In mid 94 this issue was corrected. Mine is a late '94 (late enough that I have to order some parts for a 95, like the starter). My LT1 is still running it's original distributor, and has no major issue.

I also have a spare LT1 that I am going to be building up to go into this 'Bird. Once that is done, the original engine just might end up in my '65. Don't be discouraged simply because it is "older" than an LS. They can be found for cheap, make plenty of power for a weekend boulevard bruiser, and are plenty reliable and economical for a daily driver. If you can swing the purchase, I would highly recommend it. You won't be disappointed.

Edit: I am in no way trying to say that the LS is a bad idea, just that it is quite expensive for some.

Last edited by fryer1979; 12-17-2010 at 07:43 PM.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
gulffishin

OK, if I were deciding, which I'm not, I would sell the f150, leave the 63 as is until you get the $ to do it the way you want to. In the mean time drive your 3500 and work on your 63/drive it on the weekends until you have it the way you want it. The $ you save by not making payments on the F150 and insurance will pay for the LS, AC, drop, brakes ,etc. in no time.

I have had to learn this the hard way by wanting something for my truck, settling for something less, and then being P'd off that I didn't do it the way I wanted it until I finally do...and end up doing a lot of work 2x and a pile of extra parts to deal with....but I guess that's part of the fun of owning one of these old trucks
gulffishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:15 AM   #14
63whoopie

Wow.... first, I want to say that all of you have chimed in with very constructive, objective recommendations that have been highly helpful. I have emailed the seller (craigslist) and am thinking this:
If nothing else, I can get the trans and sell the engine with all the harnesses and stuff for $400-$650, meaning I'm in the thansmission for less than I could get it otherwise. If I sell the LT1, I still have to find a decent 5.3 somewhere (all the ones I have seen in my price range are either high milage or have a knock/oil pump problem, and are just the engine, etc. Also, the 5.3 seems like a better deal than the 4.8). I like the idea of having everything together, so I'm not piece-mealing engines and harnesses, clutches, and all. Please, y'all keep the opinions flowing about which engine is better/easier to tune and maintain/work on, esp those who have had both.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
SCOTI

Food for thought...... Will the LT1 T56's (that work w/GEN II sbc's) directly bolt-up to an LS (GEN III) motor? If not, why the need for the T56 w/o that LT1?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #16
GMR-PERFORMANCE

My old LS engine 1/6 with a truck intake made 510 at the crank with some very basic stuff and very cheap.. my new 6.2 that was turned into a 413 made 620 at the crank.. so really in the end the little cheap ls base engine was a rocket for what I paid and had in it. I was running the Mefi ECM setup. RWHP with the lS 1/6 was 380 through a Albins 5 speed 934 cv and 35 inch Goodyear MT's with the stroker power went up less than 80 hp.. In my opinion I wasted a huge amount of money.

If you really gotta have a bigger LS engine go find a used 6.2 ... my buddy just bought 4 of them and he paid 2500 each , from a wrecking yard in CA..

I you need to replace cam and lifters and remove the VD system other than that you can get yourself a 3 wire ECM system and have a stout engine for low buck...
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote