The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2014, 12:03 AM   #1
Westcoastpainter

$hort Change

hey c10 guys!! And gals for that matter! ok so I've been building a 70 chev for about 6 months off and on. Mostly off! but i will post some pics cause thats what matters! i started with a 70 gmc i found in a field. this truck is quite a wreck, but it is a shorty and was all there. where i live, theres absolutely never these trucks up for sale, in a short bed, unless they're already done. So i got it and hauled it to my lot at work. Which is a body shop so I am lucky to have a convenient place to put it. I hauled the box off it, got a used door and started on the cab corners cause they were lap welded and i wanted them flush. SO i plugged away on that gmc for a little bit, then i got a phone call about another c10, shorty for sale. Widow sale, ex body mans truck. New box, New tubs, pile of parts, ran, all sheet metal already bodyworked. which brings us to now! still have the gmc, but its in the back 40. I'm gonna try to post pics, not sure which order they come up in, or where for that matter! this truck is getting full extreme drop members, CPP big brakes, 6.0 lQ9 6l80e. accuair. so stay tuned!
Attached Images

Westcoastpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
67ctener

Re: $hort Change

Solid start
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
Westcoastpainter

thanks 67ctener. I'm trying! hah. the truck is much further ahead now, just want to post pics from along the way.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
Westcoastpainter

$hort Change

ok, so heres some more updates. i pulled in the 70 chev to my shop at home, pulled the full front end off, then got the cab ready to lay it back so i could start on the floor underside. it has had some patches put in it, i wanted to final weld them up/grind them and ready it for seam sealer/raptor guard.. so the oem cab floor undercoating is a PAIN to remove. i know u guys have been there.. wow it sucked! heat lamp, razor scraper, thinners, we got there. oh and beer to ease the pain! heres some pics. then i had to patch the lower firewall corner, which was a bit complex. bunch of angles and seams, got it done tho. was easier with the cab laid on its back. i will grab a pic of the firewall patch finished up. now the frame is ready for the next stage, so i called nathan at porter built. i got the complete setup, extreme front drop member, inc a arms, power rack, gas strut hood hinges, front tube x member, and rear extreme with inboard bags, outboard shocks so i can run some big boots out back. Now i patiently wait for the mail to do its thing! But here in Canada EH, I had to go claim it myself and bring it across through customs at the airport where i had it shipped. U guys who wait for the brown truck to arrive, have got it easy!!! haha
more pics to come
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
Ghostryder79

looks like fun...I'm in on this.
Ghostryder79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
Westcoastpainter

$hort Change

alright, bit of a update...

lets cut to the chase. first off i wanna say this is my first c10 build ever. i don't have any experience bagging trucks or even doing a frame off build. I'm enjoying it though for sure. after cutting/drilling/air chisel all the stock x members are gone. my PB stuff is here and I'm prepping for mock up. i have already installed the dropmember rack notches and started putting the tubular cross members in.

also i deleted the factory frame curve for the fuel pump (i believe) thats what it was for, and made it flush. i later did more work on it and made it symmetrical to the other side . with a little radius to a point. I'm planning on boxing the frame upfront, and in back in a section. also recently i picked up a 6.0l truck motor and it is mated to a 6l80e. came with all the wiring, dbw, dash, seats, pile of parts.

i also started shaving my firewall and installed the porter built hood hinges.

more to come
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #7
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Nice work so far!

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:45 AM   #8
Westcoastpainter

$hort Change

alright, so i welded up the back notches, then cut the frame pieces out. buddy dropped off his 220 (250v) plasma for me so i used that. sweet timing for me cause a cut off sucked for the first bit. also i cut the low rise tranny hump outta my cab while i had the plasma. have to put in a high rise (4x4) tranny hup cause the truck is dropmembered. heres hoping the 6l80 clears that! That trans is a giant. i then boxed the notches with some 3/16 supplied by PB. nice kit to weld, big true steel. then i made a couple boxing plates for the front, then started making templates for the back end. got 3/16 plate and welded it in front and back in spots. trying to get it to paint I made a deadline and hunted it down. i took a few days of my holidays and brought the frame to a buddys shop and bodyworkd it and primed it. then i single staged it with endura black. haven't sprayed that stuff for 7 years but it dried wet (shiny) so i m happy with it. then also i sprayed two cycles of PB suspension. while i was at his shop i tried to paint as much as i could. trying to post pics and once again not working for me. ill get some up soon.

so I brought the frame home and put it on my frame table. Now in final assembly. i painted the parts with a single stage green, basf, just a chip i liked off the wall really. epoxy the bare metal parts and then sprayed the green.

anyways its startin to look like something
Old 09-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #9
Westcoastpainter

here i was making the frame same as other side. i don't have any finished welding pics of the boxed rear, before paint. anyways u can see primer/paint
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2014, 11:27 PM   #10
Westcoastpainter

$hort Change

ok i will put up some more pics of the paint progress. epoxyd the blasted frame, mudded up all the welds in the back end and smoothed them all out. then single stage black for the frame. (endura) I'm happy with it. now its home on the rack for final assembly.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #11
Westcoastpainter

$hort Change

ok so now it is really taking shape. recently got my accu air e level kit. 2x 400c compressors, one 5 gallon tank. now I'm having a hard time deciding on my fuel tank. ideally i want a boyds with in tank pump for a LS. i see they've changed to aeromotive pumps. any body have a opinion on them vs walboro? the problem with boyds is the $ for me. plus it has to ship to canada and clear customs, blah blah so in other words were talking around 869$ id say after exchange and shipping and duties. also i have the oem tank/pump that came with my 6.0/6l80e swap. ideally i would love to incorporate this pump with some sort of cell, but the boyds isn't deep enough. i was thinking a oem blazer tank and fabbing my pump in there somehow. my stock ls tank is running the return in the lid of the pump also.. as I've been told by a gm mechanic, not sure that makes sense to me but.. so anyone got any ideas for a rear tank? i started cleaning up my firewall also so heres a sneak peak. i have to trim a lot off my tie rod ends obviously, i threaded the ends on and its real toed out i must say! they're narrowed arms so i was aware to begin with they needed to narrowed. thats coming up soon. looks like i may need to trim around 2" off each tie rod. good times hah

ok some more pics, wish i could upload more than 5 at a time and faster lol.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2014, 05:53 AM   #12
Bennett68C10

Wow awesome job on the frame, the paint looks smooth as glass. I'm in for this build.

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #13
Westcoastpainter

hey keith thanks.

I'm happy with the frame it turned out pretty well. its cool to see some colour in there now with all my PB stuff. hows your paint process going? love your truck man, wish i had that front end and cowl hood! good luck with your paint job
Old 09-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #14
PBFAB.COM

Love the attention to detail! Nice work!!!

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:16 PM   #15
Westcoastpainter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBFAB.COM View Post
Love the attention to detail! Nice work!!!

Nate
thanks Nate

im liking your attention to detail also in all your products! i know that goes for all the porterbuilt fans on this site. glad you're approving!
Old 12-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #16
C10Greg

Cool build! Any updates? Are you running the PB rear bridge with the inboard bags and outboard shocks?
C10Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #17
mooseknuckles

looks awesome!
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #18
mcbassin
Still Learning

Awesome project! Love the contrasting colors on the chassis. Very original and very cool
subscribed.....
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #19
Lokin4AReason

keep up the good work =0)
Old 12-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #20
slowcpe

Cool project. Always like watching PB and frame work as that's where I'm at in my build
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #21
knomadd

Your frame looks good. Any updates?

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:59 AM   #22
Westcoastpainter

hey gents,

thanks for all the compliments! i just got hitched a little while ago so that was keeping me busy for a few weeks for sure. trying to put in work as much as possible. ordered my new wheels and tires. I'm stoked to put this set up on the ground! 22x8.5 and 22x9.5. u will have to check back to see the new shoes guys!!
i put the complete rear set up in with axel to set up my rear bags. needed to mock up to find ride height, then determine where to put my bag mounts on the rear axel. threw fittings in the rear sleeve bags and actually cycled the suspension. that was pretty neat to finally see some working parts!! then i set up my pan hard with my PB kit. this came with the rear extreme drop kit, now the bracket needs to be welded in the rear driver side notch, pretty much where the truck is at ride height, the bar should be level. my problem is i didn't have wheels on the axel. so we measured, mocked up and measured some more. MY buddy came by who has experience in bagged trucks and showed me the ropes, since I'm new to this all together. got it all sorted. tacked the large bracket in place, then blew it all apart again for final welding for bag mounts and the bracket to the notch. sure was a shame to grind my nice black paint but i knew it had to be done, ran outta time in the summer when i wanted to paint the frame.
i will blow in the back little spot and you won't see the difference! also i have pulled the axels in my 72 5 bolt posi, in order to assemble my 12" rear disc kit. mocked all that up. its the cpp BB kit and i modified it a little, not to use these large band clamps that come with it to hold a bracket to the axel that the rubber lines plug into and the hard lines join to. i will post a pic when its painted i promise! mocked all that up, pulled the diff cover, banged some dents out of it and filled the rust pits, primed it and painted it. now going to POR15 the axel and assemble it real soon i hope.
Also been working on my motor a bit. got my F body pan in from states, mocked all that up, put on the new windage tray and took the pan to work to prep to paint. painted my 6.0, Acc bracket, valve covers, now just have to get a new gasket and put it all together. xmas is getting in the way right now. ha.

ok @ c10Greg yes i am running the IN board bags with outboard shocks kit. weld in kit. not seeing many guys welding in their rear kits. anyways its so i can run a big wide rear wheel someday when i can afford 12' wide billets. for now i am running 22x9.5 wheels, 295/30/22
they're on their way here now.

@slowcpe
hows your PB chassis coming? i will have a look!
Old 12-20-2014, 03:02 AM   #23
Westcoastpainter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Awesome project! Love the contrasting colors on the chassis. Very original and very cool
subscribed.....

thanks Mcbassin
i really dig the green also, didn't think i would at first but its really grown on me. just something different! i kinda wanna paint the whole truck that colour but I'm sure i will change my mind a few times before that time comes.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:56 AM   #24
70LonghornCST

Hot project! Keep up the great work.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #25
slowcpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastpainter View Post

@slowcpe
hows your PB chassis coming? i will have a look!
Very very slow. Just decided to bite the bullet on a mild dropmember and control arms the other. Gotta get through the holidays and then I'll get it on order. So I got time to finish the rear.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote