The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2017, 02:08 AM   #1
izzy_Britton

Msd atomic efi ls

Is anyone using the MSD atomic efi for their LS swap? i never heard of this until just a few days ago and i have been looking for more info. I have read a few different websites and i have read a HOTROD magazine review that sounded good, but there is NO real tech geek info available on the system. sure it is self tuning and a laptop is not required but WHAT ELSE?

who is running this on their swap? how do you like it? would you buy again?

I am looking for some other more or less specific questions. for example:

There is a LS3 master kit, but there seems to be no info on the trans controller. Will the LS3 master kit with trans controller control a 6l80/6l90 or the newer 8L90 trans? or will the trans controller ONLY control 4l60e and 4l80e variants?

HOW LONG is the cord to the hand held unit? does the hand held unit need to be connected at all times for proper operation? The availabe info makes it sound like the ecu/ecm is 'integrated' into the fuel rails, is this the case or is there another ecu/ecm that needs to go somewhere else? or is this more like a self contained unit with a simple 4 wire connection?

This system sounds simple and looks good but as mentioned there seems to be little or no hard information available, maybe its just too new? it is also not a CHEAP system to run out and buy considering the lack of info.

I am not 'in the loop' and never will be with this stuff, but i would like to keep my options open. I have plans for several different LS swaps in 2018, i have already got my wire harness and ecu for my square truck, but other options might make the next swap easier...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Msd atomic efi ls

Im fairly confident that the controller will NOT control the 8-speeds. They are too new, and the amount of trans tables they use is significantly larger than the prior stuff, same goes for the new 10 speeds. (they use a desired torque # to control shifting and throttle %, and function outside of how the 4/6's worked.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
izzy_Britton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Im fairly confident that the controller will NOT control the 8-speeds. They are too new, and the amount of trans tables they use is significantly larger than the prior stuff, same goes for the new 10 speeds. (they use a desired torque # to control shifting and throttle %, and function outside of how the 4/6's worked.
But even the 6 speed autos are not listed. If these efi controllers can control even the new ls7's but nothing newer than a 4 speed auto, they are severely lacking in the innovation department, that would be a HUGE shortcoming IMO.
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

The problem is that some of the trans' used shift tables in the ECM, others have a TCM, and some have a TCM built into the pan/valvebody area. It looks like it could control the trans' with onboard trans tables, but cannot interface and control the external/semi external TCM.

I do see that standalone trans controllers exist for controlling these outside of the GM ECM environment.

https://www.lsxceleration.com/pcs-gm...dule-tcm-2650/

Otherwise something like the G8 ECM combo would work.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
DLW

The MSD Atomic EFI LS system does not control the transmission, it needs a stand alone controller for the trans. It also does not come with a fuel system like the pump, filters, hose, etc.

The ECM is integrated into the fuel rails, and there is a small power module that has to mount somewhere. You will learn much more about the system, what it does how it's wired, and what it supports by downloading the user manual from MSD. There is also a nice video showing the complete install on the MSD website.

I do have this system but have not installed it and not sure if I will for a while as I don't really need it at the moment. I got it on sale when the price was like $1600 a year or two ago and have not seen that kind of deal since then. If I were to throw down money on a system today, I would probably go the Holley Dominator EFI route where one box controls engine and trans, plus has all custom tuning abilities along with dual WB setup if you want. Gets up into the $3K+ area real fast once it's optioned out.
DLW is offline   Reply With Quote