The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #1
Steve Cole

LS Swappers,... Show us your hiding spots!!

I'm calling out to all who have gone the extra mile to get that "cleaner than factory" look. I'm talking about clean installs- hiding wiring, computers, etc. for that super clean look under the hood. Where/how did you hide everything? Show us!!
Thanks!
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
dayj1

Re: LS Swappers,... Show us your hiding spots!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
I'm calling out to all who have gone the extra mile to get that "cleaner than factory" look. I'm talking about clean installs- hiding wiring, computers, etc. for that super clean look under the hood. Where/how did you hide everything? Show us!!
Thanks!
Here's the last swap that I did in a C10.

dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Nice!
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
sprint_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayj1 View Post
Do you have any detail pictures of how you ran your plug wires and what you held them in place with?
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:46 PM   #5
darrellyates

Well, not really all that hidden, and not completely finished yet, but I'm dying to show somebody my progress, so here goes....
Attached Images

darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
dayj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_9 View Post
Do you have any detail pictures of how you ran your plug wires and what you held them in place with?
They're just generic cast aluminum wire looms. There are more pictures here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=668385
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:08 PM   #7
sprint_9

Quote:
They're just generic cast aluminum wire looms. There are more pictures here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=668385
I remember reading through that one now, thats some nice work, same goes for Darrel.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:15 PM   #8
mattcrp1

Quote:

Yeah, that's more like the poster child of how to do it. Very nice.
Upper Control Arm Bushings: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=616974
IG mattcrp1
mattcrp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:35 PM   #9
Steve Cole

Dayj1 & Darrell, those are both beautiful installs, but we want to see what we don't see! How/where did you hide your wiring, computers, fuse box, etc. I'm talking about all the stuff that is necessary but you don't really want to look at it! Where is it?
Thanks
Old 06-27-2017, 08:36 AM   #10
darrellyates

Quote:
Dayj1 & Darrell, those are both beautiful installs, but we want to see what we don't see! How/where did you hide your wiring, computers, fuse box, etc. I'm talking about all the stuff that is necessary but you don't really want to look at it! Where is it?
Thanks
Mine's all under the dash. Pix submitted
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
Steve Cole

Wow Darrell, that is a ton of wires! Where did you come through the firewall at?
Old 06-27-2017, 08:39 PM   #12
darrellyates

Quote:
Wow Darrell, that is a ton of wires! Where did you come through the firewall at?
I made a 1.5 inch hole in the curved part of the firewall, passenger side, right above the engine. If you look at the picture of the engine compartment, you'll see it just inside the heat/air bulkhead fitting. My harness is a little long, so I just looped a circle inside beside the vintage air unit. Then my 2 plugs to the E38 computer, and one to the trans controller. Fuel pump switch, fan wires, just about everything else all goes thru that one hole in the firewall. I still have the body harness, and the harness for the dakota digital gauges, but they all come thru the other side in the factory location. I had to re-shape the original hole just a little because I used American Autowire I think it was. Everything is coming together nicely. I'll put the OBDII port in the glovebox, along with the control buttons for the dakota digital gauges. Engine is GM LS3, drive by wire. The cruise control is a jumper off of the DBW gas pedal (Corvette). I'll get wire loom on everything and get it buttoned up in the next week or so. I plan to start and tune it in July. Total of 2 holes for wires, opposite each other in the trans tunnel part of the firewall, and the stock location for fuse block for the body harness. Clean enough for me....
Old 06-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #13
Steve Cole

Thanks for all the great info! Very nice install!
Old 06-30-2017, 11:43 PM   #14
Steve Cole

Wow, I guess everyone wants their hiding places to remain hidden!
Old 11-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #15
flipper58

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellyates View Post
I made a 1.5 inch hole in the curved part of the firewall, passenger side, right above the engine. If you look at the picture of the engine compartment, you'll see it just inside the heat/air bulkhead fitting. My harness is a little long, so I just looped a circle inside beside the vintage air unit. Then my 2 plugs to the E38 computer, and one to the trans controller. Fuel pump switch, fan wires, just about everything else all goes thru that one hole in the firewall. I still have the body harness, and the harness for the dakota digital gauges, but they all come thru the other side in the factory location. I had to re-shape the original hole just a little because I used American Autowire I think it was. Everything is coming together nicely. I'll put the OBDII port in the glovebox, along with the control buttons for the dakota digital gauges. Engine is GM LS3, drive by wire. The cruise control is a jumper off of the DBW gas pedal (Corvette). I'll get wire loom on everything and get it buttoned up in the next week or so. I plan to start and tune it in July. Total of 2 holes for wires, opposite each other in the trans tunnel part of the firewall, and the stock location for fuse block for the body harness. Clean enough for me....
Darrell,
Do you have any other pics of your firewall from the engine compartment side? Also, what type of grommet(s) did you use? I am at that same point in running my harness, etc. through the firewall and I really like what you've done.
Thanks,
Phil
flipper58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:49 AM   #16
darrellyates

Phil: I'll have to take a couple of pictures for you. I'll look thru my files and see if I have one, however the truck is at the paint shop at the moment. I'm really anxious as it's supposed to be home before Christmas!! If I can't find one, I'll snap a couple and post for you. The grommet came with the EFI harness. I simply measured it with a pair of calipers and used a cheap hole saw I got in a set from Harbor Freight that was the closest size. Was actually pretty simple. On the other wires, all the holes are factory and I used reproduction grommets from LMC I think is where I got them. Either that or Southern Kentucky Classics, they are only about 35 miles from the house and I get a lot of little stuff from them.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #17
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper58 View Post
Darrell,
Do you have any other pics of your firewall from the engine compartment side? Also, what type of grommet(s) did you use? I am at that same point in running my harness, etc. through the firewall and I really like what you've done.
Thanks,
Phil
Phil:

Here is a picture of the engine side. Hope you can see the engine harness. It's right where I said it would be. You can't really see the grommet per se, but you get the idea. (sorry about the sideways, it's a cell phone shot and I know, I held the phone wrong...)
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #18
darrellyates

Quote:
Darrell,
Thanks,
Phil
Phil: Last one. And again, it will be posted the wrong way, however, this was earlier in construction and you can plainly see where the wires come thru the firewall. Hope it helps.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #19
flipper58

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellyates View Post
Phil:

Here is a picture of the engine side. Hope you can see the engine harness. It's right where I said it would be. You can't really see the grommet per se, but you get the idea. (sorry about the sideways, it's a cell phone shot and I know, I held the phone wrong...)
Awesome. That helps. Thanks very much. I really appreciate the photo and help. I need visual aids to have it make sense! And here's to a Merry Christmas to you for return of your truck from the paint shop!
Phil
flipper58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:05 AM   #20
darrellyates

Quote:
Awesome. That helps. Thanks very much. I really appreciate the photo and help. I need visual aids to have it make sense! And here's to a Merry Christmas to you for return of your truck from the paint shop!
Phil
Thanks Phil!! Hope it helps. Let me know if you want/need anything else. I appreciate the kind words. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas as well.