The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #1
Materman

Something doesn't add up....... 5.3 into 72 elco

OK..... After many late nights of researching I thought I was prepared for my carbureted 5.3 to finally reside in the engine bay of my 1972 GMC Sprint (same as the el Camino for those that aren't familiar). Anyways, I get the engine in the car only to find out there are many things that don't fit..... And here's the list:

1:power steering pump clearance
truck accessory setup is being reused, only after I read several different forums and articles saying it would indeed fit, BUT my power steering pump pulley contacts the steering box.... I think I have the solution, Dorman part # 300-130.... Thoughts on a smaller p/s pulley?
2: alternator to hood clearance
will the truck accessory setup interfere with my hood, seeing as the alternator is very tall on the truck accessory setup?
3: motor mount adapters
for motor mount adapters I purchased ICT billet aluminum SBC adapter plates. Will these work or did I need to buy some other mount adapters?
4: exhaust manifolds
I had read multiple things about what exhaust manifolds to use, and came to the conclusion ( by reading through several ls swap threads in A body cars) that the best stock manifolds to use were F body cast iron manifolds.... Which don't fit AT ALL. What did i do wrong here????? (Also, I cannot afford high dollar headers, which I'm not Impressed with anyways, so I'd really like to stick with cast iron manifolds if at all possible.)
5: oil pan......
Knowing that its very deep and me being on a tight budget, I decided to reuse my stock truck oil pan and build a skid plate to protect it until I can afford a Holley pan.... Which from everything I read, the truck pan fits but hangs down low.... Problem is, the inner tierod hits the oil pan when turning very sharp....is there an inexpensive stock pan that fits the A body car WITHOUT my tierod smacking it?

thanks in advance.
Richard
1972 GMC Sprint 350 with th400

Not bad for a 20 year old!!!
Materman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
dayj1

Re: Something doesn't add up....... 5.3 into 72 elco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Materman View Post
3: motor mount adapters
for motor mount adapters I purchased ICT billet aluminum SBC adapter plates. Will these work or did I need to buy some other mount adapters?
I used speed engineering mounts in an A Body swap. They look identical to the ICT 551628 mount. So, I'd say the ICT are as good as any. I did use 1/4" mount spacers to raise the motor slightly. They look like these 3/16" ones: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...8090/overview/
Quote:
4: exhaust manifolds
I had read multiple things about what exhaust manifolds to use, and came to the conclusion ( by reading through several ls swap threads in A body cars) that the best stock manifolds to use were F body cast iron manifolds.... Which don't fit AT ALL. What did i do wrong here????? (Also, I cannot afford high dollar headers, which I'm not Impressed with anyways, so I'd really like to stick with cast iron manifolds if at all possible.)
Which F-Body manifolds? Gen V Camaro LS3 manifolds cleared easily for me, but we ended up using headers.
Quote:
5: oil pan......
Knowing that its very deep and me being on a tight budget, I decided to reuse my stock truck oil pan and build a skid plate to protect it until I can afford a Holley pan.... Which from everything I read, the truck pan fits but hangs down low.... Problem is, the inner tierod hits the oil pan when turning very sharp....is there an inexpensive stock pan that fits the A body car WITHOUT my tierod smacking it?
Based on the crossmember clearance when I did it, buy the Holley 301-2 pan. I don't see how any stock pan would work and I've used most of them on different swaps over the years.
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
Materman

[quote/] Which F-Body manifolds? Gen V Camaro LS3 manifolds cleared easily for me, but we ended up using headers.[/quote]

I used gen IV.... Is that my issue?

Old 12-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Were risking confusion with the "Gen" thing, because Gen IV motors aren't in 4th Gen Fbodies...if that makes any sense.

The 4th Gen Fbody is a Gen III engine, and early ones use a header-style manifold that is fairly thin and clears some swaps pretty well, but the 02 sensor location may not clear the frame depending on how its set in the frame.

The 5th Gen Camaro is a Gen IV motor, and uses a very tight-to-the-block manifold that has become popular for swaps for its block hugging.

Both can be made to work, but there are differences in flange location and clearance etc.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:55 PM   #5
Materman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Were risking confusion with the "Gen" thing, because Gen IV motors aren't in 4th Gen Fbodies...if that makes any sense.

The 4th Gen Fbody is a Gen III engine, and early ones use a header-style manifold that is fairly thin and clears some swaps pretty well, but the 02 sensor location may not clear the frame depending on how its set in the frame.

The 5th Gen Camaro is a Gen IV motor, and uses a very tight-to-the-block manifold that has become popular for swaps for its block hugging.

Both can be made to work, but there are differences in flange location and clearance etc.

That is probably what happened... I read that gen IV manifolds fit, thinking it meant 4th gen fbodies.... not the gen IV engine

Old 12-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
Materman

Update.......

I went ahead and purchased the holley oil pan and have perfect clearance with this area.

With the power steering pulley, it STILL hits the steering box, no matter where I position it, so what's a boy to do?

Old 12-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #7
68basket

Quote:
Update.......

I went ahead and purchased the holley oil pan and have perfect clearance with this area.

With the power steering pulley, it STILL hits the steering box, no matter where I position it, so what's a boy to do?
I just finished a 5.3 swap into a 71 chevelle.

Holley is the goto for getting it to fit. I used their engine mounts and oil pan. Fitment is perfect with a set of 2000 camaro z28 stock exhaust manifolds and a $30 dorman ps pulley. i used the holley pan and have zero fitment issues. I have the smaller amp alternator and it clears the hood fine. I am running the truck intake but there is no room for the plastic cover to fit on it.
Let me know if you have other questions, i can help out.
Attached Images

68basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:21 PM   #8
Materman

@68Basket, first of all, very nice setup! I'm jealous lol!
What radiator hoses did you use?

Old 12-27-2017, 09:05 PM   #9
dec010974

yeah, what lower radiator hose is that? I want (2) of them
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
robertsjm711

Kinda looks like a ~2003 Silverado upper hose

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-26390...WDK8Q0N0DMHFJ3

Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=743246
robertsjm711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:29 PM   #11
robertsjm711

And lower

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...RoC7hoQAvD_BwE

Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=743246
robertsjm711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #12
SparkyRnD

If you decide you want to change to an LS radiator that has the ports in the correct locations, we make them here in the USA by hand, and we're a board sponsor:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590670