The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
SCOTI

88-2000 Center-Link ?

I don't have my truck in front of me & I'm ordering parts.... Is the center-link/draglink on OBS 88-2000 model trucks a wearable item? They have them listed in the parts choices but they appear to be a non-wearable item.

Can someone knowledgeable confirm?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Mr_Rich

Re: 88-2000 Center-Link ?

I can only comment on K trucks, but I'm pretty sure it's not. It's a bar with holes in it. If there's a problem the idler arm is the first culprit to look at.
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Rich View Post
I can only comment on K trucks, but I'm pretty sure it's not. It's a bar with holes in it. If there's a problem the idler arm is the first culprit to look at.
That's what I remembered as well. Just needed confirmation. The rest of the steering is suspect & getting replaced. As I researched the p/n's, each site I checked had the drag-link listed as well so that got me to thinking. Since I never really studied it when looking things over I felt it was best to ask.

Thanks!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 12-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #4
mountie

I just replaced my entire suspension & steering parts a few weeks ago. .. For a reason, that I can't remember, my drag link was replaced ( wear in the holes for bolts?).....The adjuster ends were kept..
Lower control arm can stay as is... just replace ball joints

An IMPORTANT reminder!!! >> The drag link can be re-installed backwards by mistake ( not easy to tell), when on the bench, what end of drag link goes left-side or right-side. Even though the shop I went to has a good reputation, the installer installed the link backwards.

When you turn the truck, the inside wheel turns sharper, & the outside turns wider....

A backwards drag link forces the outer wheel to "scrub sideways" ( sharper)... not allowing to make a 'U' turn... or even turn out of your driveway!

Needless to say, when it was corrected, the new front end was LIKE A NEW SHOWROOM truck!!

( I spoke with a Moog tech... He laughed about the reverse drag link. He said that is a common 'trick' he gives the Moog tech school students to figure the problem. A common mistake at many shops.

I got the Moog upper control arms completely built with bushings / ball joint. ( why spend labor $ & sweat .... better deal allready done.

If you have part questions, call Moog Tech support.... They are great & they answer the phone.
'93 Mercedes SL 500 Teal
'86 Yamaha FZ750 - 15,000 RPM
'86 Yamaha FJ1200 - Criminally Fast
2016 Ferrari 488 GTB, I drive it - don't own it.
'05 GMC Yukon XL , SLT 4wd ( just purchased 2018)

Last edited by mountie; 12-16-2017 at 02:08 PM.
mountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountie View Post
I just replaced my entire suspension & steering parts a few weeks ago. .. For a reason, that I can't remember, my drag link was replaced ( wear in the holes for bolts?).....The adjuster ends were kept..
Lower control arm can stay as is... just replace ball joints

An IMPORTANT reminder!!! >> The drag link can be re-installed backwards by mistake ( not easy to tell), when on the bench, what end of drag link goes left-side or right-side. Even though the shop I went to has a good reputation, the installer installed the link backwards.

When you turn the truck, the inside wheel turns sharper, & the outside turns wider....

A backwards drag link forces the outer wheel to "scrub sideways" ( sharper)... not allowing to make a 'U' turn... or even turn out of your driveway!

Needless to say, when it was corrected, the new front end was LIKE A NEW SHOWROOM truck!!

( I spoke with a Moog tech... He laughed about the reverse drag link. He said that is a common 'trick' he gives the Moog tech school students to figure the problem. A common mistake at many shops.

I got the Moog upper control arms completely built with bushings / ball joint. ( why spend labor $ & sweat .... better deal allready done.

If you have part questions, call Moog Tech support.... They are great & they answer the phone.
I appreciate your feedback.

I trust my mechanic (I'm a DIY guy) so I know parts will be assembled correctly but I have heard of people installing the draglink backwards.

I looked into the 'loaded' upper a-arms as well. Unfortunately, their warranty (the RK- series parts line) is only for 3yrs. I'll just buy the parts & swap them over to my current arms for the LL warranty. Plus, there is no differing ID of which BJ's are utilized (7200lb gvw/6-lug 2500's use a different upper BJ vs. 8600lb gvw/8-lug 2500's).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
mountie

I used a long drawn-out description for other members who may not have known some details. I also DYI a lot on my truck, but when it comes to the suspension / steering, I let the pro's do it, since I didn't want to buy a bunch more tools. I spent $550.00 on labor.... about $900.00 in all parts.
( 7200 / 6 lug )

even the sway bar bushing kit, etc. .. More than worth it.. Got it back in 3 days.
'93 Mercedes SL 500 Teal
'86 Yamaha FZ750 - 15,000 RPM
'86 Yamaha FJ1200 - Criminally Fast
2016 Ferrari 488 GTB, I drive it - don't own it.
'05 GMC Yukon XL , SLT 4wd ( just purchased 2018)
mountie is offline   Reply With Quote