The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
Highsteel
Chasin' the Dream

SBC 350 vs BBC 427

Been planning the rebuild for my '71 C/10 long fleet for a while. I finally confirmed that the truck did indeed have a 350 like the seller claimed. Its so anemic I was sure it was 305/307.

Casting numbers revealed 'high nickel' 350.

So the plan is/was something of a mid-range 383, like 9.0 - 1 comp, find some 2.02 heads, not too extreme of cam, RPM like intake with an Edel and a nice exhaust. Lookin for 325-350 HP. Is this close?

Now I have been given a '71 427 HP short block! I'm not completely sure if it is a tall deck truck motor or not. One place on the block says "truck", and another says "HP Truck and pass".

Now, I've never owned a big block vehicle. I've riden in some though. '69 chevelle 396, early 70's big mopar challengers, 'cuda's, and Road Runners.
Hang on!!

The question is, is the BB rebuild gonna take a WAY bigger bite of my wallet to build, and is it good motor to build if its a tall deck? I'm not real concerned about which engine I feed later on, but how much I have to spend to get there.

The 427 will cost more as all I have right now is the short block, need heads and intake and pan...., but would it make the same or more HP easier with not too much increase in price?
Highsteel is offline   Reply With Quote