The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
scottmitchellrose

rear drum on 61 C10 won't come off

It's been sitting for 10-15 years in a field, so pretty rusty. I have the rim off, sprayed with penetrating oil, tried a crow bar. I can't 'feel' the adjusting spring from the back. Any ideas how to take the drum off so I can re-do the brakes? Thanks, Scott
scottmitchellrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
bpmcgee

Re: rear drum on 61 C10 won't come off

Quite probably the pad is catching on the ridge of the drum. Make sure to turn the adjuster all the way in to withdraw the pad.
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #3
Brad54

This works every time for me (and I have taken off a LOT of seized drums over the years... destroyed a lot of them before figuring this out).

On the back of the drum there are two "nail heads." These are the pins that hold the little coil springs that keep the shoes in place.

Pry the head away from the backing plate, and cut the head off. Do this for both of them.

The shoes will no longer be anchored to the drum at the sides or bottom--just at the top.

You can then pull the drum off with the shoes, and they'll eventually pull out of the wheel cylinder at the top.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #4
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmitchellrose View Post
It's been sitting for 10-15 years in a field, so pretty rusty. I have the rim off, sprayed with penetrating oil, tried a crow bar. I can't 'feel' the adjusting spring from the back. Any ideas how to take the drum off so I can re-do the brakes? Thanks, Scott
sometimes the are also bolts (1/4 or 5/!6") holding the drums unto the axle flanges. there are times that the drum freezes to the axle flange (id of the drum) and heat around the area(drum) with a torch will usually solve that problem
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:49 PM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you are working on the front, it is quite possible that the drum is still riveted to the hub as was done at the factory.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
scottmitchellrose

Thanks VERY much- your tips are really helpful. I was able to get it off. I unfortunately twisted/ had to cut the brake line just before the bracket that holds down the flex hose in front of the rear passenger tire- along the frame. I 'spliced it' with new brake line and flanged them. Will this hold? It's a single line master cylinder. Last thing I want is to endanger myself- or anyone else! It 'seems' like it will work... but I want an expert opinion- whether I need to buy a new line set at 150 from jim carter's or somewhere else. I have a photo if you have an email address- I can send it. I use scottmitchellrose@gmail.com
Old 09-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #7
scottmitchellrose

I have another question about the brake line if you have time. can i email you a photo/ the question? i'm at scottmitchellrose@gmail.com
Thanks a lot,
Scott
Old 09-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #8
scottmitchellrose

darned adjusters are all seized
Old 09-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #9
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmitchellrose View Post
Thanks VERY much- your tips are really helpful. I was able to get it off. I unfortunately twisted/ had to cut the brake line just before the bracket that holds down the flex hose in front of the rear passenger tire- along the frame. I 'spliced it' with new brake line and flanged them. Will this hold? It's a single line master cylinder. Last thing I want is to endanger myself- or anyone else! It 'seems' like it will work... but I want an expert opinion- whether I need to buy a new line set at 150 from jim carter's or somewhere else. I have a photo if you have an email address- I can send it. I use scottmitchellrose@gmail.com
Has to be a double flange. I wouldn't trust anything different. If it's been sitting for years the whole hydraulic system is questionable at best anyhow due to contamination and rust. Brake fluid is a moisture magnet. It can absorb humidity. Take the time and work that system over top to bottom. Then you can drive more confidently. I converted mine to a split system. Cheap and easy. Search the site for more info.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #10
cv65

DO NOT!!! mess around with a single system,go at least a double with new lines,sounds like time to redo the whole system,you will save yourself and maybe others a whole lot of problems. imho
cv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:34 PM   #11
padresag

a double flaring tool is quite inexpensive. do a few practise runs first so that you can properly determine the height that the tubing should stick up before you start the flaring procedure. it is not difficult. always form your bends over something so as to not kink the lines.
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:06 PM   #12
vince1

I'm not sure for 1/4" but 3/16" flared lines of various lengths are plentiful in the auto supply stores.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote