The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
centuryhouse

Trans fluid - can't find type recommended; also rear seal leak stopped on its own?

I searched the forum and read a number of posts here recommending Dextron III, and saying NOT to use Dex/Merc, or Dextron VI as they can cause problems with old seals.

Unfortunately, all I can find at the stores are either ATF, Dex/Merc, or Dextron VI.

Where do you guys get the correct fluid?

Also - what would make my transmission's rear seal leak several quarts after I put my rear drive shaft back on (replaced u-joint & yoke), but then after I moved the car the other day the leak has completely stopped? I drove it again, and still no sign of leak.
centuryhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
michael bustamante

Re: Trans fluid - can't find type recommended; also rear seal leak stopped on its own

dex/merc is dexron III im pretty sure
Old 09-24-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
FirstOwner69

Re: Trans fluid - can't find type recommended; also rear seal leak stopped on its own

I don't think Dexron III is made since GM won't license the name. Dex/Marc is supposed to be the one to use. I would NOT use Dex VI. I put Dex/Merc in mine.

From Wikipedia:
"The fluid specification for Dexron-VI was introduced in 2005, and was first used as the GM factory-fill automatic transmission fluid for model year 2006. All Dexron-III licenses expired permanently at the end of 2006, and GM now supports only Dexron-VI fluids for use in their automatic transmissions, although fluids asserted by their manufacturers to meet Dexron-III standards continue to be sold under names such as Dex/Merc. These fluids are not regulated or endorsed by GM."
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
leddzepp

Do not use dexron VI. Dex/merc is used in place of dexron III.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #5
cdowns

Could b the leak stopped cause it all leaked out below the leak
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
centuryhouse

OK, thanks. I thought I had read in one post NOT to use Dex/Merc, but it is possible they were wrong or that I misread it.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
cleszkie

I always worry when things stop leaking on their own. Usually means they are low or out of fluid.

If you have a 4x4, your auto tranny can push its fluid into the transfer case if the adapter seals/o-ring are bad. I had a TH350 that would push its fluid into my NP205. I would have to periodically add fluid to the tranny and drain fluid out of the t-case.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
Could b the leak stopped cause it all leaked out below the leak
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
I always worry when things stop leaking on their own. Usually means they are low or out of fluid.
My thoughts also....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie
If you have a 4x4, your auto tranny can push its fluid into the transfer case if the adapter seals/o-ring are bad. I had a TH350 that would push its fluid into my NP205. I would have to periodically add fluid to the tranny and drain fluid out of the t-case.
Yep, mine used to do the same thing.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
centuryhouse

Mine is just a RWD.

I'll check the fluid tonight and see where it is. I assume you check with engine running, in neutral/park?
Old 09-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #10
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Yes, and fully warmed up (and obviously on flat ground, like a concrete slab). And though I've personally never done it, some say to cycle through Drive and Reverse. I usually don't bother with that because in order to warm it up, it has been driven, so.....

Actually, with some vehicles it makes a difference whether it is in Park or Neutral. Not positive but I don't think it matters on our trucks. I always put it in Park, because, well, it is parked at the time!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #11
68is4me

I have used Dexron VI in all of my older vehicles and never had a problem. Why is it recommend not to use it?

Here is the description of dex vi from my gm parts catalog.
06 gmc duramax
68is4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #12
68is4me

Opps forgot attachment.
Attached Images

06 gmc duramax
68is4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #13
centuryhouse

I ran the truck around the neighborhood then checked the fluid - it shows perfectly at full. And after driving it 3 times, still not a hint of a leak anymore.

At least a quart had leaked out so it must have been over full since I bought it 2 months ago. I checked the fluid at the time and it was slightly over, but I was mainly checking for smell & color at that time.

Of course, now that the leak is gone I find that my reverse lights, rear running lights, and brake lights have all suddenly gone out :-(
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #14
cleszkie

Make sure that the vent on the top of the tranny case is clean and not clogged up with oil/grease/dirt. If this vent is clogged, the tranny can build up internal pressure and force ATF up and out of the filler tube. I actually had this happen to me a while back.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:36 PM   #15
mike16

and check your coolant fluid as well sometime tranny fluid will end up mixed with coolant fluid. if thats happening you'll know soon enough when the coolantfluid color changes or your tranny fluid turns nasty brown foam.

Keep an eye on tranny fluid level and clean up the area around the output shaft of your transmission. watch for any leaks. might be a very good idea to shop for a rear seal and a gallon or two of fluid.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:41 PM   #16
cooperhw

an automatic trans sitting will cause the weight of the driveshaft snout to sit in one place (gravity) and actually have a low spot or dent on the seal. Driving them can loosen up the seal and cause it to actually seal again. not always,
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #17
centuryhouse

Good information guys, thanks.

No fluid contamination between coolant / oil / transmission fluid, so that's good.

I've purchased a new seal, but am going to hold on to it for now and keep an eye on any leaking that might occur.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #18
centuryhouse

A side question: when I stomp the gas pedal at road speed, it doesn't go into passing gear. What operates that, and how should I troubleshoot / fix?
Old 09-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #19
bigmac73

check your kick down cable , probably not adjusted right,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-950640
this is the tranny fluid I use
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #20
msgross

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
an automatic trans sitting will cause the weight of the driveshaft snout to sit in one place (gravity) and actually have a low spot or dent on the seal. Driving them can loosen up the seal and cause it to actually seal again. not always,
that would explain why my 96 z71 leaked a bit after sitting for a few months... now that I'm driving it more it stopped.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:30 PM   #21
centuryhouse

[QUOTE=bigmac73;7323745]check your kick down cable , probably not adjusted right,

Where is it, and how do you check it?

Thanks for the rec on the fluid btw!
Old 10-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #22
Econman

You can buy Dexron III on the shelf at Napa.
Econman is offline   Reply With Quote