The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2024, 12:18 AM   #1
novaX522

Carb swap

My truck had a 600 cfm edelbrock carburetor on it when I bought it. It runs great 99% of the time. It’s downfall was it bogged when you floored it. Drove me nuts. I tried several things, but it still had a bog.
I know Holley carbs. They’re what I’ve always used and what I’m comfortable with. I asked my friends if they had a Holley in the 600-750 range I could try. My father in law had a 750 in a box on his shelf. Unfortunately mice had chewed through the box and crapped and pissed all over it. It looked disgusting.
I took it home and tore it completely apart. Luckily the inside was in great shape. I bagged up all the metal pieces and sent them with my friend that has a sonic cleaner. The finish was damaged, but looked way better than when I found it. I put it all back together and had to order a few things. I ordered a new fuel line, several vacuum fittings, and a 1” spacer for clearance.
Got it on the truck and it fired right up and idled. Took it for a test drive and it had a damn bog. lol At least I knew what to do on this carb. I started with the basics. Adjusted idle circuits and idle speed. Then I tried a bigger squirter, which didn’t help. Put the smaller squirters back on and adjusted the accelerator pump cams to start sooner and that was the trick.
Now the truck starts, idles, shifts smoothly, trans kicks down when floored. It runs as nice as the edelbrock did in normal driving. But it’s a whole other animal when it’s floored. It’s really a pleasure to drive now.
Attached Images

novaX522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 01:16 AM   #2
jumpsoffrock

Re: Carb swap

Clean engine bay, man! Finally a story with a happy ending lol
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 02:53 AM   #3
3drburb

Nice work on the carb rebuild. Just a heads up, I think some, including myself has had trouble with those fuel filters leaking, but that may have been install error on my part as I still see them out and about.
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 02:35 PM   #4
72SB

Edelbrock or Holly, they both need "adjustments" to perform well accross the board. Specific tune kits are available for both so whatever brand you are most familiar with, go for it.

Me, I use Edelbrocks as to me they are simple, basically Carter AFB, but on modified motors I use tune kits with assorted jets, metering rods and step up springs to dial in.

IMHO regardless of carb brand, get timing nailed down first before making any carb changes. This would be not only base (no VA) then all in, 2500-3k rpm, then finally with VA. The VA will often need adjustments on its own using a limiter plate and ideally an adjustable VA can. Always use manifold vacuum vs ported vacuum feeding VA on dizzy.

not using VA on a street car/truck will have part throttle drivability issues, poor mpg and rich part throttle operation.
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM   #5
Rust_never_sleeps

I'm thinking RatWizz is a pretty good name for a truck, but yours is way too clean for that ;-)
Old 02-26-2024, 08:28 PM   #6
novaX522

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
Clean engine bay, man! Finally a story with a happy ending lol
Thanks!
Old 02-26-2024, 08:33 PM   #7
novaX522

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3drburb View Post
Nice work on the carb rebuild. Just a heads up, I think some, including myself has had trouble with those fuel filters leaking, but that may have been install error on my part as I still see them out and about.
Thanks. The fuel filter was on the truck when I got it. A few things I plan to upgrade later, but it’s not leaking so I’ll deal with it later.
Old 02-26-2024, 08:43 PM   #8
novaX522

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SB View Post
Edelbrock or Holly, they both need "adjustments" to perform well accross the board. Specific tune kits are available for both so whatever brand you are most familiar with, go for it.

Me, I use Edelbrocks as to me they are simple, basically Carter AFB, but on modified motors I use tune kits with assorted jets, metering rods and step up springs to dial in.

IMHO regardless of carb brand, get timing nailed down first before making any carb changes. This would be not only base (no VA) then all in, 2500-3k rpm, then finally with VA. The VA will often need adjustments on its own using a limiter plate and ideally an adjustable VA can. Always use manifold vacuum vs ported vacuum feeding VA on dizzy.

not using VA on a street car/truck will have part throttle drivability issues, poor mpg and rich part throttle operation.
I’ve drag raced for over 30 years and always with a Holley. I tried a Q jet when I started racing. It was a trick piece built a stock/super stock racer. Messed with it quite a lot, then borrowed my friends 750 Holley and went 3 tenths faster with nothing more than setting the idle. That was it for me.
I know there’s people that are good with Q jets and Edelbrocks. Hopefully one of the edelbrock fans see my edelbrock at next month’s swap meet and can’t live without it 👍
Old 02-26-2024, 08:47 PM   #9
novaX522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust_never_sleeps View Post
I'm thinking RatWizz is a pretty good name for a truck, but yours is way too clean for that ;-)
Truck looks great in pictures, but it’s more of a 10-20 footer. RatWizz is a great name, but then I’d have to put a big block in it. Lol