The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
Chiller449

Found old Chevy flatbed in woods. I need info!!!

Hello everyone
I found this old Chevy truck on a farm I was working on. The old man said I can have it but he doesn't know if it had a title or even a vin. He's not even sure what year it is. I have attached some pics. Maybe you guys can enlighten me. If you need more specific pics let me know. I'll be happy to take more.
Attached Images

Chiller449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
paintman

Re: Found old Chevy flatbed in woods. I need info!!!

Vin# should be on a tag mounted to the door jamb. I think.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
dennislbrooks

Look at the passenger door handle, if key lock is in the handle, it is a 41. If key lock is below the handle, it is a 42-46. If it has leather around the gas fill instead of rubber, it could be a 42. If key is below passenger handle and it has rubber aorund the gas fill, probaly a 46. Not sure 0n 43,44,45's as I understand few were released to the public.

Also if original engine I believe s/n is also on the engine block to the rear below the distributor. This would allow you to find out the year of the engine and model. It appears to be at least a ton model if 8 lug wheels.

42's did not have a chrome grill. I have a 42 1/2 ton and also a a 46 3/4 ton. Junked a 41 1- 1/2 ton for body parts.

Others will know more.

Last edited by dennislbrooks; 03-27-2016 at 11:40 AM. Reason: words
dennislbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
Daze57

that is v v cool keep us posted!!!
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
In The Ten Ring

I love the shape of the front end! I hope you can get this thing fixed up.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:06 PM   #6
Chiller449

I'm taking more pics tomorrow. I'm definitely keeping it. I should be taking it home this coming weekend. I don't think I will have much trouble getting the title for it and registration. I live in Indiana and we have pretty decent laws regarding abandoned vehicles. I'll keep u all updated!!
Old 03-27-2016, 08:40 PM   #7
Daze57

that will be a good lookin' rider ---- r u gonna bag it ?- resto mod ?
definitly more pics !!!!
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:46 PM   #8
flashed

Im in to see it brought out of there .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:00 AM   #9
Chiller449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze57 View Post
that will be a good lookin' rider ---- r u gonna bag it ?- resto mod ?
definitly more pics !!!!
It will be a resto-mod for now. Most likely a carbed 350 v8 will be installed for now to make it somewhat reliable. I will rebuild the original motor and trans while I'm driving the truck. I'm gonna take more pics tomorrow guys and I'm posting them all on here so stay tuned!!
Old 03-28-2016, 12:01 AM   #10
Chiller449

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Im in to see it brought out of there .
More pics coming tomorrow. Stay tuned!!
Old 03-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #11
CSHADES

The rubber around the rear window is also a sign of what year it is. If the window bolts in it is a 1941 if it grabs the pinch weld with no bolts it is a 1946. I don't know which way it goes if it is a 1942. The vin tag is on the right side of the cowl. It may not be the actual number that is on the title because of the use of engine numbers and not actual vin number. The idea of installing a 350 now and then reinstalling the original engine later is not really a feasible thought. It takes some engineering to install a v8 in these trucks especially with the original steering and suspension. Also putting a v8 in will over power the brakes and steering. These trucks were designed to carry weight at slow speeds (45 mph and under)
My suggestion is if you can find someone that has one of these in original running condition is to ride with or drive if possible and then you can make an educated decision on what you want out of the truck.
I own and drive a 1940 1/2 ton almost everyday in the summer(modern drivetrain) and I have a 1946 1/2 ton here at the shop that is original that I wouldn't drive across town any day. But it is all up to the person that owns it and has to live with it.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #12
Chiller449

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSHADES View Post
The rubber around the rear window is also a sign of what year it is. If the window bolts in it is a 1941 if it grabs the pinch weld with no bolts it is a 1946. I don't know which way it goes if it is a 1942. The vin tag is on the right side of the cowl. It may not be the actual number that is on the title because of the use of engine numbers and not actual vin number. The idea of installing a 350 now and then reinstalling the original engine later is not really a feasible thought. It takes some engineering to install a v8 in these trucks especially with the original steering and suspension. Also putting a v8 in will over power the brakes and steering. These trucks were designed to carry weight at slow speeds (45 mph and under)
My suggestion is if you can find someone that has one of these in original running condition is to ride with or drive if possible and then you can make an educated decision on what you want out of the truck.
I own and drive a 1940 1/2 ton almost everyday in the summer(modern drivetrain) and I have a 1946 1/2 ton here at the shop that is original that I wouldn't drive across town any day. But it is all up to the person that owns it and has to live with it.
I will look today for this stuff. And your right installing a 350 wouldn't be a great idea. Maybe later down the road when I decide to upgrade suspension and brakes. I'll probably just leave it original for now. How are these engines to rebuild? Are parts pretty easy to find? Or am I just gonna have to refinish all the engine components.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:09 PM   #13
CSHADES

The problem with these old 216s is they are not full oil pressure oiling. I believe they are also poured Babbitt bearings not inserts. If you want to keep they original style engine you are better off to locate a mid 50s to early 60s 235 to replace what you have. Be aware that any major overhaul on an engine that is not run of the mill(sbc or sbf) will cost a lot more. Also brake and suspension pieces are not cheap. I think you really should figure out a plan for what your use is going to be and budget accordingly. I.E. are you going to use it as cruiser, parade car or use it as an actual hauler?
Old 03-28-2016, 03:39 PM   #14
Chiller449

It's gonna be a cruiser. So it has to be pretty reliable. Another member suggested I also get a 50's engine to replace it with. I'll have to dig into it more . Pics coming in a few hours.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #15
Chiller449

Here are new pics!! some are of the other old car out there and what appears to be a sixties cadillac thats in real bad shape.

Unfortunately upon closer inspection the truck seems to be in worse shape than I had originally thought. it has quite a bit of rot on the cab. The drivers door is about to fall of. I cant get the passenger door open. The steering wheel still moves and it moves the fronbt wheels still. But the shifter and all the pedals are frozen. All the glass is with the truck. The back window is cracked though.
What do you guys think? Is it savable or am I waiting my time???
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #16
Chiller449

More pics
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #17
Chiller449

more pics
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2016, 06:20 PM   #18
Chiller449

even more pics
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2016, 06:22 PM   #19
Chiller449

last of the pics
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2016, 06:26 PM   #20
Chiller449

forgot one of the car. And an old tractor.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2016, 06:47 PM   #21
CSHADES

I hate to tell you this but that truck is parts. The belt line on the rear of the cab is rotted which can be fixed but is a major project if you have done it before. the door post is rotted which will either take another parts truck to fix or good metal working. I don't know what you were planning on paying for this truck but there are quite a few out there to buy yet. If you really are looking for a cruiser I would look for a 1/2 ton version over 1-1 1/2 ton. I have purchased many 39-46 chevy trucks (pickups and COEs) from100.00 to 1000.00(I have 4 complete trucks and 6 torn apart trucks right now) they are out there, but I usually laugh at the ones on ebay that start at 5000.00
Old 03-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #22
Chiller449

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSHADES View Post
I hate to tell you this but that truck is parts. The belt line on the rear of the cab is rotted which can be fixed but is a major project if you have done it before. the door post is rotted which will either take another parts truck to fix or good metal working. I don't know what you were planning on paying for this truck but there are quite a few out there to buy yet. If you really are looking for a cruiser I would look for a 1/2 ton version over 1-1 1/2 ton. I have purchased many 39-46 chevy trucks (pickups and COEs) from100.00 to 1000.00(I have 4 complete trucks and 6 torn apart trucks right now) they are out there, but I usually laugh at the ones on ebay that start at 5000.00
The truck is free so im not losing any money. Im a good mechanic but I think this is gonna be too much body work for me. Too much rot repair. Ill look online to see if I can find a similar one with not as much rot. Thanks for your input!!
Old 03-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #23
In The Ten Ring

Well it is very sad that these beauties are too far gone.

I have always thought that cars and trucks with their fenders outside of the body line have a sort of "epitome of style."

A 1/2 ton truck may be more useful but owning a 1 ton or larger has an appeal all its own and could certainly do more work. For me, a truck is for work first and looks second.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #24
Chiller449

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Well it is very sad that these beauties are too far gone.

I have always thought that cars and trucks with their fenders outside of the body line have a sort of "epitome of style."

A 1/2 ton truck may be more useful but owning a 1 ton or larger has an appeal all its own and could certainly do more work. For me, a truck is for work first and looks second.
I love the look of the 40's trucks. Unfortunately I cannot save this one. My next project will definitely be a truck similar to this one!!
Old 03-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #25
dennislbrooks

Rear window on a 42 is like a 46 --no bolts. It appears that the gas fill had a leather grommet not rubber ---so ---could be a 42 -----43, 44, 45 --not a 46. But the engine s/n may tell for sure. As I understand vin numbers did not come out on chevys until 47. I see few usable parts on it as it has sat outside too long. May be some salvagable parts somwhere. My 42 is on an s-10 blazer 2wd frame. The ride is nice and it solves a lot of problems. Moved the s10 mounts back 3" for the 350 sbc. Use the s10 v8 header and a shortshaft from a 67-72 steeering and column.

The correct length frame is an s10 117" wheel base used under the extended cab. My bed is 7" shorter than stock. The trick is to set the cab and front end up and if using the s10 power steering --get a custom radiator that misses the power steering gear. All this has been done many times by many. but I can supply pics if needed of my setup.
dennislbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote