The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2018, 12:21 AM   #176
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Johns 66

Upgrading to front disc brakes does not have to be expensive. If all you want to drop the front is 2", then all you need is a set of stock '71-'87 spindles, stock rotors and calipers and a set of 2" dropped springs. Oh I almost forgot about the tierods. If you can find the original '71-'87 steering linkage, that will save you from having to buy the $50 aftermarket tierod adapters.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #177
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
All my daily drivers have been lowered, and my current daily is a '77 C10 with 3" spindles, cut 1-ton springs, a flip kit out back, and a notched frame. It might be a 5/6 drop, I never really measured. I still haul lots of stuff, and certainly have opinions....

If you're not going to track the thing at all, don't waste your money on adjustable shocks and coilovers. Just get a quality name-brand set of lowering springs for a 2/4 drop and call it done. If you need to spend money, buy sway bars - they are worth it.

The only thing I would recommend is some helper air bags to assist carrying heavy stuff or hauling your trailer. You can air them up only when you need to.

One of my biggest things is: "I'm 300 miles north of nowhere, and I need X part." If the parts are all basically stock parts, you can get replacements anywhere.

But that's just my opinion.

My '61 will run a mostly stock-part suspension, but I will be doing a lot of cutting to get it sitting where I want.

Skinny G...I appreciate the information....Im not going to track it...sure I may drive it kinda fast in a straight line from time to time but that's about it....definitely not gonna be a racer. I highly doubt that that there will be much weight ever put in the bed, I have some Ash wood that I am going to mill for the bed along with some polished stainless strips that I got from Mar-K.

My question would be what would most consider a "Quality' set of springs? Does this mean they need to be dual rate?
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #178
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Upgrading to front disc brakes does not have to be expensive. If all you want to drop the front is 2", then all you need is a set of stock '71-'87 spindles, stock rotors and calipers and a set of 2" dropped springs. Oh I almost forgot about the tierods. If you can find the original '71-'87 steering linkage, that will save you from having to buy the $50 aftermarket tierod adapters.
Thanks Cap....I have been doing some research on this as well....I am waiting on the power steering unit from GMCNUT so I can use the plate I got from you to bolt it up. I do not want to "Slam" the truck just a slight 2/4 drop....if that is considered slight. I just think it looks pretty cool.

The only things that I probably will ever pull is my boat or a small trailer with either my bike or lawnmower which I don't thin would be too terribly bad.....if I was going to pull for longer distances then I would just use my newer model Silverado to do that...Although I have been looking at a 19 GMC AT4 with a 6.2L kind of high right now so may wait on that to get a used one in a couple of years.

I really appreciate the info on the brake changeover..I have a couple of junkyards around that I will hit up and see what they have....Someone told me that I could simply sway the whole cradle but if all I have to do is change the spindles, rotors and calipers, plus some tierod ends etc...Im thinking that may be the way to go.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #179
Johns 66

I also checked with Advanced plating for an estimate on having my grille chromed....They said they had a recent fire and it will be awhile before they are back up and running but the estimate to chrome the grille and headlight bezels was almost 1600.00....Very Stout price
Old 11-03-2018, 11:56 AM   #180
SkinnyG

By "quality spring" I just mean something with a reputable brand name on it. Cheap springs sag a whole lot quicker over time.

A "dual-rate" or a "progressive" spring has you riding on softer spring rate for comfort, but the rate increases the more it is loaded, which helps carry that load better. Progressive (or dual rate) might be a good compromise.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #181
Johns 66

Picked up some OEM NOS original door rubber gaskets today from Mike Cofield. I think these will be great to keep the windows sealed and from rattling..Although I am a ways away from taking her to the beauty shop its always good to get great parts...especially NOS parts. Thanks Mike really appreciate it
Old 11-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #182
Johns 66

Quote:
By "quality spring" I just mean something with a reputable brand name on it. Cheap springs sag a whole lot quicker over time.

A "dual-rate" or a "progressive" spring has you riding on softer spring rate for comfort, but the rate increases the more it is loaded, which helps carry that load better. Progressive (or dual rate) might be a good compromise.
I talked with a vendor today and what he said made some sense to me but wanted to proposed the question to you guys. His suggestion was to use 4 in drop springs in the rear and stock springs in the front with 2.5 in drop spindles...His reasoning is that you still have stock travel in the springs.

Thoughts?
Old 11-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #183
SkinnyG

I am a big fan of spindles - it helps maintain proper suspension geometry and travel (as proper as it can be for the 60's).
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #184
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
I talked with a vendor today and what he said made some sense to me but wanted to proposed the question to you guys. His suggestion was to use 4 in drop springs in the rear and stock springs in the front with 2.5 in drop spindles...His reasoning is that you still have stock travel in the springs.

Thoughts?
Spindles would be my 1st choice but many don't want the complexity (cost) of the brake upgrade on pre-71's. If a disc swap is planned already, definitely do drop spindles.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #185
Johns 66

Quote:
I am a big fan of spindles - it helps maintain proper suspension geometry and travel (as proper as it can be for the 60's).
Im leaning towards changing the spindles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Spindles would be my 1st choice but many don't want the complexity (cost) of the brake upgrade on pre-71's. If a disc swap is planned already, definitely do drop spindles.
I am sure that I am probably like most and don't have an unlimited budget, so cost is definitely a factor.

Here is my thinking at this point...

I have had estimates from QA1 to change the entire front and rear for about 5000.00...while coil over front and rear with disc would be cool but cant justify 5k for the suspension plus would have to buy new wheels and tires...
there are a couple of different ways that QA1 has Jegs seems to have the best price I found so I used their links

https://www.jegs.com/i/QA1/122/52898/10002/-1
https://www.jegs.com/i/QA1/122/RCK52611/10002/-1
https://www.jegs.com/i/QA1/122/R210-250/10002/-1
https://www.jegs.com/i/QA1/122/52611-D750/10002/-1

Ride Tech has a suspension kit for about 2500. front and rear.

https://www.jegs.com/i/QA1/122/52611-D750/10002/-1

This kit does have both front and rear with a front sway bar.....but does not include rotors, brakes etc.....

So based on these two I have to go another way...Ride Tech does offer front stock springs that are dual rate, and rear 4" drop springs that are dual rate that I could put in with my stock set up for about 475.00

I checked with ECE and they have a system for around 1300.00

https://www.earlyclassic.com/node/1195
https://www.earlyclassic.com/node/1267 but with stock front springs

or springs from about 115.00 a set

The brake upgrade can be done after I am done with the cosmetic work so I am thinking I can still do research on this upgrade....Just have to decide which springs to go with.

On a side note I did get my quotes for chroming the grille...WOW from 2000.00 down to a 1000.00. There is a place that is local ( in the state) that does this type thing and were the cheapest at around 1000.00 depending on condition once it is stripped.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #186
Johns 66

I have been receiving quotes today from the many requests on having items chrome plated.

I did a search of local and not local business and here is what I have received.

Paul's Chrome in PA 1500 for the grille, 250 each for the bezels
Advanced Plating in Tn 1200 for the grill and 175 ea for the bezels
Graves Plating in Al 1000.00 for the grill they didn't mention if that included the bezels and am waiting on a response from them
El Paso Electroplating 295 for the grille, 25 ea for the bezels, Ruben stated that if I wanted "Show Quality Chrome" that it would be an additional 30%....which is way cheaper than any of the rest.

I reached out to a member here that had his grill plated by El Paso and am waiting on his response to see what his experience has been with them.

I know you get what you pay for but this will not be a trailer queen but I do want it to look nice.

Thoughts?
Old 11-08-2018, 07:49 PM   #187
Johns 66

Ordered a few things today for the ole 66.....Mainly door stuff

https://www.americanclassic.com/1964...ctinfo/03-806/

https://www.americanclassic.com/1964...ctinfo/03-568/

https://www.americanclassic.com/1960...tinfo/03-013B/

I read some threads where these items from this company were highly recommended, especially the press on door seals.

I did find a place that I can go look at some 1st gen truck....supposedly there is a lot of them just sitting in a field...gonna try and run by there tomorrow and see what's there. From what I understand they are complete truck but time will tell
Old 11-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #188
Johns 66

Went to the junk yard today to see about the 1st Gen trucks....Only had 2...one was partially fixed and it was plated with gold based on the price he wanted. The other one he had was a mix matched truck from parts from several different trucks...not what I would say would be a good candidate to even mess with...…

BUT...I did stop by and see Mike today and was able to pick up the NOS Fan Shroud....pretty neat to be able to buy a NOS part for the ole 66. My original is cracked in several places and I have tried to plastic weld it back with no luck so this was right on time...Thanks Mike.

On a side note I do have another adventure planned for next weekend to look at some NOS parts...….we will see
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #189
Johns 66

Gathered some more parts today....Luckily I was able to get some NOS rocker panels and a set of NOS Emergency Brake Cables...….Cables are hard to take a picture of the cables.....so you just have to trust me..lol
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2018, 11:16 PM   #190
Johns 66

Well folks and any who may be following...I went shopping and was able to get some things....some I needed ...some I couldn't pass up.

Here is kinda a list of things I bought....Ill post pictures ...not sure how many you can put per a post.

All the stuff is for a 60-66 C10 some specific for 64-66....I guess some things they used all 6 years.

So here we go...…

A set of NOS door for my 66 C10....they are just the shell but all the original stuff will fit.
NOS front fenders. both sides
NOS Script Valve Covers
Passenger Side NOS Inner Fender
NOS Outside Door Handles
NOS, Tail Light and Park Lamp Bezels
NOS Park Lamp Lenses
NOS Back Up Light Bezels
NOS Molding Clips...Top and Bottom
NOS Dual Pulley...for when I add power steering
NOS Window Crank Handles
NOS Wiper Arms??? Its the ones that attach to the motor
Automatic Steering Column ...Didn't need but couldn't pass up
Deluxe Steering wheel....Didn't need but couldn't pass up

ALSO I Bought a 402 Big Block with a 400 Tranny....all accessories including AC compressor...Not sure what I will use it for but who passes up a 402 big block

These are the big things plus I got a few smaller used item
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2018, 11:23 PM   #191
Johns 66

More Pics...Its very slow downloading for some reason so I will try less pics per post... Auto Steering Column and Deluxe Steering wheel......Didn't really need because I already have this but couldn't pass up because they are rare
Attached Images

Last edited by Johns 66; 11-19-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:33 PM   #192
Johns 66

Here is a pic of one door.....didn't want to unpack both of them but you can see what it is...So a new set of NOS Doors.....So stoked!!!!
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2018, 11:34 PM   #193
Johns 66

Front Fenders...Again I only took pics of one because I didn't wanna unpack both
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2018, 11:38 PM   #194
roll_the_dice

Wow...super jealous John! The doors and the steering wheel are nice. I need to get a "new" SW...I need to figure out if I want an OEM one or an OEM look but slightly smaller version...if it exists. Those doors...WOW
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:38 PM   #195
Johns 66

Inner fender....I picked this up for Yelmer because I knew he was looking for one.....Mikes a good guy and has helped me tremendously throughout my build so this was the least I could do for him.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2018, 11:42 PM   #196
Johns 66

Some other stuff …..Valve Covers, Door Handles, wiper arms etc
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2018, 11:47 PM   #197
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Wow...super jealous John! The doors and the steering wheel are nice. I need to get a "new" SW...I need to figure out if I want an OEM one or an OEM look but slightly smaller version...if it exists. Those doors...WOW
It was Awesome being able to go and "Shop" today I had never seen new doors before usually rusted bottom used ones, occasionally a nice used set. I don't understand but drivers sides are really hard to find...seems like the drivers side rusted quicker than the passenger side for some reason.

I didn't need them but couldn't pass up New Doors, or New Front Fenders. I feel very fortunate to have been able to go and purchase these items.

The other items you never really know about...they are not making them anymore so I think when you do find things like this that you have to get them while you can.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #198
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
I have been receiving quotes today from the many requests on having items chrome plated.

I did a search of local and not local business and here is what I have received.

Paul's Chrome in PA 1500 for the grille, 250 each for the bezels
Advanced Plating in Tn 1200 for the grill and 175 ea for the bezels
Graves Plating in Al 1000.00 for the grill they didn't mention if that included the bezels and am waiting on a response from them
El Paso Electroplating 295 for the grille, 25 ea for the bezels, Ruben stated that if I wanted "Show Quality Chrome" that it would be an additional 30%....which is way cheaper than any of the rest.

I reached out to a member here that had his grill plated by El Paso and am waiting on his response to see what his experience has been with them.

I know you get what you pay for but this will not be a trailer queen but I do want it to look nice.

Thoughts?
Did you ever decide the quality of El Paso? Seems the price is almost too good to be true. I would love to have my bumpers rechromed and headlight bezels, but was always scared of the pricing. Mine will not be a garage queen either...maybe I will contact them as well.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #199
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Did you ever decide the quality of El Paso? Seems the price is almost too good to be true. I would love to have my bumpers rechromed and headlight bezels, but was always scared of the pricing. Mine will not be a garage queen either...maybe I will contact them as well.
Hi Andy....I contacted a member here who had some stuff chromed by them and he said the did an excellent job. I am going to start off small and send him some things that I can easily replace if the chrome is not to my liking....things like park lamp bezels, tailthem after the holidays light bezels etc...that way I can see what the work is like plus will give me a chance to get my grille finished up, especially since I am no welder.

I did find a place near Atlanta that is willing to work with me on getting my rust repaired and is willing to do it in stages for me...I am planning on going over to talk with him after the holidays...fingers crossed.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:26 AM   #200
roll_the_dice

That's great news...Their pictures look nice...I would love my grille, headlight and parking lamp bezels along with my bumpers done....Can't wait to see what you think!

I found this thread from years ago, looks pretty good. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=495482

Last edited by roll_the_dice; 11-20-2018 at 11:43 AM.