The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
ZZ4Blazer

POR15, wtb and how much? And 6 lug rotor question?

Im gonna start on my 67 here within a few weeks. Probably around christmas since I'll have some time off. I usually work on my projects a little bit, as money allows. Sometimes get burned out like that, cause it seems like Id ont make any progress.

Anyhow, Im gonna wait and collect more some parts till around the end of the month, then try and then get a decent jump. First off will be pulling off front end/motor/suspension. Cleaning up and painting front frame rails getting them ready for my dropmember. Get dropmember on, bags & new suspension, 327 swapped in, etc.

I wanted to POR the dropmember, as well as the front frame rails back to the cab. And probably from the cab back once I figure what Im doing for rear suspension.

Anyhow, how much POR should I need to do the DM, and most of the frame? I dont wanna end up running out, nor do I want to buy more than I need, and it be wasted if I didnt store it right.

Also, where are you guys getting your POR from?

I wanna keep my stock wheels for a bit, as they got almost new tires on them. And I dont have the cash for my 22's. I will be upgrading to 73-87 3" drop spindles, and would like to run the thicker, heavier duty disc brakes on them. I've seen aftermarket companies selling the 6 lug rotors to keep the bolt pattern, but do they offer the thicker 1.25" 6 lugs?

I searched, but didnt come up with any answers.

Thanks!!

Last edited by ZZ4Blazer; 11-30-2008 at 11:37 PM.
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:07 AM   #2
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Re: POR15, wtb and how much? And 6 lug rotor question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
Im gonna start on my 67 here within a few weeks. Probably around christmas since I'll have some time off. I usually work on my projects a little bit, as money allows. Sometimes get burned out like that, cause it seems like Id ont make any progress.

Anyhow, Im gonna wait and collect more some parts till around the end of the month, then try and then get a decent jump. First off will be pulling off front end/motor/suspension. Cleaning up and painting front frame rails getting them ready for my dropmember. Get dropmember on, bags & new suspension, 327 swapped in, etc.

I wanted to POR the dropmember, as well as the front frame rails back to the cab. And probably from the cab back once I figure what Im doing for rear suspension.

Anyhow, how much POR should I need to do the DM, and most of the frame? I dont wanna end up running out, nor do I want to buy more than I need, and it be wasted if I didnt store it right.

Also, where are you guys getting your POR from?

I wanna keep my stock wheels for a bit, as they got almost new tires on them. And I dont have the cash for my 22's. I will be upgrading to 73-87 3" drop spindles, and would like to run the thicker, heavier duty disc brakes on them. I've seen aftermarket companies selling the 6 lug rotors to keep the bolt pattern, but do they offer the thicker 1.25" 6 lugs?

I searched, but didnt come up with any answers.

Thanks!!

Not to change your mind, but have you compared POR15 to Rust Bullet?
Sorry I have no clue about 6 lug rotors.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:14 AM   #3
cdowns

a quart should b more than enough POR15 goes along way// i get online at por15.com if in a hurry i get from my local autopaint supply store for a bit more
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:59 AM   #4
yellowGT

dont mean to steal your thread or anything.... but do most of you guys use por15 alone or you use chassis coat black too?

This is going to help us both zz4blazer

'84 swb chevy
'69 swb chevy
'68 swb chevy
'95 Impala ss-sold
'89 chevy crew cab dually 3+3
yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:22 AM   #5
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Talking Re: POR15, wtb and how much? And 6 lug rotor question?

yellowGT POR15 alone is just fine the frame & engine bay doesn't see the sun much so chassis coat isn't realy that necessary unless you drive around with the hood off. So answering your question No, but POR-15 has an ultra-violet sensitivity and must be topcoated if continually exposed to sunlight. Once topcoated, POR-15 will remain effective for many years. Right off their web site..
POR-15 likes rusted surfaces best. Seasoned metal and sandblasted metal are also good. POR-15 does not adhere well to smooth, shiny surfaces, but will adhere well to those surfaces with the proper preparation.

http://www.por15.com
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by petey-pablo; 12-01-2008 at 07:23 AM.
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:38 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

All of the 6 lug rotors I've ever had were the thick ones. I do not believe they make them in the thinner size.

As far as POR15, I love it, but you must know, that POR controls the price and do not allow their distributors to sell below a certain price. My friend sells it through his Volkswagen shop and once offered a 10 percent internet coupon to be used in his store. POR threatened to pull his distributorship if he sold it at a 10 percent discount. They mean business.

I usually just order mine striaght from POR. They ship fast.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #7
70GMCer

The rotors i've seen from the kits and what I have on my truck are the 1.25" ones. Same goes with the 5 luggers I believe.

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Give Early Classic Enterprises a call and ask them. They sell 'em and should be more than capable of answering all your questions. I am running their stuff and it's great!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
ZZ4Blazer

Thanks guys. So you think that just 1 quart will be enough to do the dropmember, my spindles, and my front frame rails?
Old 12-01-2008, 07:58 PM   #10
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
Thanks guys. So you think that just 1 quart will be enough to do the dropmember, my spindles, and my front frame rails?
Way more than enough. A pint would suffice. If you spray it, you can thin it 20%. You can brush it on as well, as it is self leveling (does not leave brush marks) When I purchase POR, I buy the small cans. Once the can is opened (exposed to air) its shelf life is compromised. I do this because I do not like to reseal the can beacuse you need to put a piece of saran wrap between the lid and the can, otherwise it will seal itself shut permanently. If you get a large quantity, it is best to pour it into a mason jar, and make sure the lid and surface of the jar are clean so that you can open the jar again. Depending on how well it seals, it will last another month or so, and I have heard of guys getting up to a year before it hardens. Only pour what you are going to use into a separate container, and reseal what is left over immediately.

Last edited by leddzepp; 12-01-2008 at 08:04 PM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #11
ZZ4Blazer

Thanks fella's. I figured Id need way more than that. Just saved me about$100 I can put towards other stuff.