The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
kedmunds

Installed 700R4 - Hook Up Lockup or not?

Good Morning Guys,

We just completed the 700R4 trans install into our 69 C10 and we are amazed what a difference a 4th gear makes. We had a Bullet-Proof Turbo 400 that we loved from Red Light to Red Light, but the highway driving was killing us.

With our Turbo 400, we were running 70 MPH @ 4,200 RPM and couldn't hear each other talk in the cab. Now, with our 700R4, we are running 70 MPH @ 2,200 RPM and loving every minute of it. Cruise Inn's and Car Shows in different cities are now an option for us.

My Question to all of you is about the lockup in the 700R4. I currently do not have it installed and the trans is running perfect with shift points at 2,000 RPM. Will I hurt the transmission if I do not install the toggle switch to the Lockup in 4th gear? Or, based on your experiences, should I install the toggle switch and install the lockup? I now have one weekend of experience with our 700R4 and I just don't want to do (or not do) anything STUPID and accidently trash this transmission because I just didn't know...

Any information from those of you with 700R4 experience would be GREATLY appreciated. I am planning on driving the truck over to my son's College Campus this weekend so he can see the difference in the transmission.

Thank You ALL for Any Information,
Kirk & Christopher Edmunds - Father and Son Project
1969 C10 Stepside with BB 396
kedmunds is offline   Reply With Quote