The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2002, 06:58 PM   #1
lash

Question BED Need help.

Just started to do my 2nd 72 4x4.I blasted the the inside of the bed and found rust on the last cross member and on the floor ( on the corners). This is to be expected I know. I then ordered a patch panel with visions of cutting in a nice new piece. The problem was the the patch panel it never matched the contours on the bed floor. Is there an approach to fixing this area or does anyone have a really nice long bed for sale? This bed is really solid except for this area. Any suggestions would be helpful.
lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 08:11 PM   #2
iluvmy72

I'd look for a good bed in your area and cut the piece out that you need.....weld it where it was cut and bolt it down....and if you are going for a show look.....then grind and sand the welds for the flush look....
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 11:51 PM   #3
Yellow Cheyenne

I used a scrap bed to get patch material from. Used some of the bed floor from the donor that was located more towards the rear center of the bed. That gives you the correct contour or radius at the rear of the bed floor that you need. The outside "bumps" in the bed floor aren't as wide as the rest due to the way the bed sides bolt up. I cut the bump in half and moved it together to make a narrower bump to match the orginal bumps. Hope that helps.
'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote