The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2002, 10:52 AM   #1
ScottH

Removing and re-installing cab

Just wondering if you guys can give some pointers on removing and re-installing a cab. The nose is off and the cab is pretty much bare. Nothing on firewall, no gas tank, no doors, no glass, etc.

From what I've read on this site, it's just a matter of getting the mounting bolts loose. This is a backyard job, no garage, lift etc. I was thinking of using two boards across the bottom and lifting with a person on each board end. Sound like a plan?

Also, when I re-install the cab, are there any alignment considerations, or will it just sit properly once the new body mounts are installed?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks again guys.
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 11:12 AM   #2
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

the boards and 4 people is a pretty good plan, I would use 4x4's as a safety precaution, as far as re-alignment, that's pretty easy, just set the new cab on, and shove it around until it matches up with the bed.

A word of advise on the doors.....put them on and get them aligned before you put the front clip back on.....the hinge to cab bolts are a real bear to get to when there are fenders on the truck.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 12:02 PM   #3
ScottH

Chad, thanks for the info and the advise. As far as aligning the cab to the frame, the bed will not be on the frame when the cab goes on, most likely. Anything else to consider when remounting the cab, and the bed for that matter?

Thanks again.
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 12:08 PM   #4
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

When my cab goes back on my frame I plan to just finger tighten the bolts until I do a complete pre-fit of the bed and front clip. That way I can get everything adjusted to line up. Once the cab, fenders and bed all line up I will torque the cab down and remove the bed and front clip again for final painting.

Good advice on putting the doors on first though.

I got three neighbors and we just lifted my cab off the frame and carried the heavy thing around the house to the basement garage! They loved me after that one.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote