The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2023, 02:13 AM   #1
american revolution

power steering and automatic conversion

have a stock 55 shortbed 3100....6 cylinder 3 on the tree...manual steering

can i change over to power steering and still be able to use the stock column?

or

what are my options if i wanted to do an aftermarket steering column and change 3 on a tree to automatic? possible to do this? if so what and where can i get the parts.
american revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:32 AM   #2
Hcb3200

Re: power steering and automatic conversion

there are multiple kits for stock columns. you do cut the column just below the shifter in most kits for the2nd series trucks. The cpp kit is good.

you can search and see many images online of installations.

And of course mountains of aftermarket. but not to many with 3 on the tree.
Automatic there is plenty at all ranges.
if you move the shifter to the floor then you have many options as well.
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:34 AM   #3
Hcb3200

also on a side note. I liked the three on the tree look on the inside of the cab and kept it when i went to automatic transmission. used the same shifter they make a kit for cable hookups or like mine you can just use the rod down to transmission as well.
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 01:56 PM   #4
unclebrad

I put a 700r4 automatic in my truck, which was originally a three-on-the-tree, and wanted to keep a factory look, so I got an automatic shifter mechanism from a 53-54 Bel-Aire and converted it to work in my 55 truck.
I even made up a new "lens" with the characters in the right place for the pointer.

It took some doing, but turned out pretty good.

I did a little write-up about it, if you have any interest in doing something along those lines. Could give you some ideas...

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...1&d=1673718700

Attached Images

unclebrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 05:35 PM   #5
american revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebrad View Post
I put a 700r4 automatic in my truck, which was originally a three-on-the-tree, and wanted to keep a factory look, so I got an automatic shifter mechanism from a 53-54 Bel-Aire and converted it to work in my 55 truck.
I even made up a new "lens" with the characters in the right place for the pointer.

I did a little write-up about it, if you have any interest in doing something along those lines. Could give you some ideas...

THANKS!!! I really like this look..
Old 01-14-2023, 06:02 PM   #6
american revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebrad View Post

please send me the write up
Old 01-14-2023, 06:45 PM   #7
unclebrad

Glad you like it.

If you send me an email at unclebrad at aol dot com I'll send the write-up to you.

Last edited by unclebrad; 01-14-2023 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:20 PM   #8
mr48chev

That is one nice setup that Unclebrad posted. Plus it answers a question that I have seen a number of times on the net. From that point it is only limited by your imigination and skills or the skills of who you have help on it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 12:07 AM   #9
ApacheProject

I really like that setup, please post the write up on how to do this conversion. I too am looking to go automatic in my truck. Getting too old to do all that shifting in heavy traffic.
Thanks
ApacheProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:44 AM   #10
unclebrad

As far as I know, it is too big to post here. I can send it to anyone via email though.

I just need an email address to send to. If you email me at unclebrad@aol.com, I will reply with it as an attachment.

B
Old 02-23-2023, 10:13 AM   #11
dsraven

if you wanna use the original 6 engine there are adapter plates that will bolt up to the 6 cyl and convert the engine to transmission bolt up pattern to a small block chevy pattern. look for one that includes a starter, flex plate, nuts and bolts and a good set of instructions. you will need to have an open driveline, like a newer style truck would have-no torque tube. (is yours a 55 first or 55 second series truck?). after that there is the question of building a transmission mount cross member at the rear of the trans as that is how the automatics mount up. then you should think about the engine mounts as the original 6 uses a mounting system at the front of the engine and then the bellhousing sits on on a cross memebr at the rear of the engine. the old 3 on the tree is a small trans that hangs behind that. since the bellhousing will be gone those rear engine mounts will also be gone so the engine mounts and trans mounts will be quite a distance apart (and the trans will be made out of aluminum so that may put a lot of stress on the bellhousing to support the engine and trans with mounts far apart) and only be sitting on the center, or basically the bottom, of the components. that means the engine torque will be allowed to move the engine and trans as a unit so you may need to think about some sort of torque limiting engine mount of some sort. the newer 6 cyl engines used a side mount further back on the engine block, along with the rear trans mount with no bell housing support. this supports the engine better and puts less weight bearing on the bellhousing. anyway, just something to think about.

https://shop.bowlertransmissions.com...sing-automatic

the steering column is part of the sreering box so it is all one unit from the steering wheel down. if the steering wheel is removed, the steering and shift linkage disconnected and the steering box unbolted from the frame, then the box can be removed from outside the truck in one piece. then, if you plan to use the column, it can be cut off above the box and made shorter as needed. basically the tube on the outside is cut down shorter than the shaft inside, then a bearing (like a wheel barrow wheel uses) is used inside the end of the tube to support the shaft and the shaft protruding is ground so it has 2 flats on it like a double D steering u joint would use.
a lot of guys running the stock suspension are using the CPP power steering kit, it keeps the steering box mounted in roughly the same place so the geometry of the pitman arm works correctly. the column connects up with a standard rag style joint. of course you will need to make or buy a bracket for a power steering pump, as well as source a pump. some kits mount the steering box ahead of the wheel and on the outside of the frame. depending on your ride height this can interfere with the tires on a hard turn and the truck will turn more one way than the other. the cpp kit uses a box that mounts in the stock location inboard of the frame.
I suggest to do a little research on this site, the hamb, hotrodders etc and find out what works for others and the various different set ups out there. either way, look for a kit with an adjustable drag link from the pitman arm to the spindle connection, that way the steering linkage can be adjusted so it is straight ahead with the steering box centered.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-cpp5559pskoc
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 10:19 AM   #12
dsraven

uncle brad, is your truck a 6 or an 8 cyl?
nice work on the column. well, the truck in general actually. looks awesome. great color combo too.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:27 AM   #13
dsraven

some info here on doing a power steering set up. usually with a v8 but that is secondary
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=835408
here is a thread where the fella uses a saginaw box mounter outside the frame
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...power+steering
here is one that shows the cpp style kit mounted inside the frame. scroll down a few posts to find the pics of the steering
https://www.trifive.com/threads/prou....226040/page-2

here is a thread on options for an automatic
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ptions.629855/

hope that helps
Old 02-23-2023, 12:12 PM   #14
unclebrad

My truck was originally a straight six (with a 3-speed column shift transmission). But the previous owner put a v8 (348) and th350 transmission in it. The radiator support is still in the six cylinder position.

My story around this is...

Soon after buying the truck, I found that the engine and transmission needed replacing (along with the radiator and transmission... but I am over it now.). My skills are just good enough that I figured an engine swap was doable. I decided to upgrade to a slightly larger engine (409) and an o.d. transmission. (700r4)

The previous owner didn't do any change to the shifter other than hook it up to the transmission and so, shifting was "by feel". It seemed to work, but I didn't like it.

I had seen a picture of a truck on jalopy journal, talking about a different subject, and noticed that the guy had converted the column shifter to a factory shifter from a 53-54 Chevy Bel-Aire. I loved the factory look and asked him how he did it. He basically told me what car the shifter pieces came out of, and said that he just worked out what to do as he went, and that anyone could do it.

It was a bit intimidating to me, but I took a shot. And I took pictures and notes along the way.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:31 PM   #15
dsraven

well, its looks great. nice job.
I mentioned in another post possibly in another thread that a column from an earlier car, possibly 60's era, may be used with an auto for the period correct (almost) look and a column shifter with indicator on the column. if doing an overdrive trans it could be set up to show the gears correctly except for the 1st gear but not too many people are putting it down into first gear anyway. it could be reworked with the detents and indicator to show correctly or there is likely a kit to make it work properly with the old column. there are lots of old car guys installing over drive transmissions so a look on one of those sites ma help find out what they are doing. nothing like stock parts for old cars as the newer stuff in the aftermarket wouldn't stand the test of time like the old stuff has. just my opinion. personally I am not a fan of the flat floor (no consoole) with a stick style shifter for an automatic. I always think of the accidental leverage applied to the mechanisms with a lever that long when somebody bumps the shifter. however, there are lots of guys doing it and it seems to work out fine for them. I suppose a stick shifter on an auto with a manual valve body option would be cool, no clutch but the sound and feel of manual shifting.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:32 PM   #16
dsraven

sorry american revolution, got off track there.
Old 02-23-2023, 02:12 PM   #17
dsraven

here is a link to show some side mounts on a 235. something like that may be useable if doing an auto trans in order to hold the weight better, so less stress on the aluminum bellhousing, and also to give some resistance to the torque so the engine doesn't end up rotating around the crankshaft.
I also wanted to mention that since the old engine and trans sat on a cross member right under the front of the cab, it is a good idea to try and retain that cross member because otherwise the frame rails tend to move some which has a direct affect of the cab mounts. in other threads on here I have suggested to cut the cross member centre out, if need be in order to get the driveline etc in place, but then make the removed part a bolt in so it can be removed or installed easily in the future. this gives the frame it's intened rigidity in that area.
Old 02-23-2023, 02:17 PM   #18
dsraven

sorry, the link didn't attach.
https://davisspeedequipment.com/prod...-48-chevy-car/

here is another thread talking about side mounts etc.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...mounts.680506/
Old 02-23-2023, 02:33 PM   #19
dsraven

here is a link to a knowledgeable fella who has put together some charts that show the pros and cons of an automatic behind a 235 inline 6. it's about gear ratios and how it affects the old inline.

http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/tec...235-driveline/
Old 02-23-2023, 02:36 PM   #20
chevyguyase

Nice truck. I put EPAS on my "54 3100. (Electronic power steering assist). It so far works perfect, no belts, pulleys, hoses, etc. I saw no interest in this type conversion on this sight so I never updated the post. If you are interested, just type EPAS in this sites search bar. Unless you look under the dash my truck looks stock.
chevyguyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 05:15 PM   #21
dsraven

I was also gonna suggest the electric option but thought I had posted enough info to swallow in one day, haha. waiting for the OP to respond first. no use doing a bunch of research if the OP isn't interested or maybe changed his mind. also, not sure of the skill level or the shop/tools he may have to get stuff done. if having Aa shop do all the work his bill could add up fsat.
Old 02-23-2023, 05:26 PM   #22
unclebrad

EPAS sounds like a very interesting idea to me.

Think there are many differences between doing it to an AD truck vs the Task Force or Apache? (I have a 55.2 truck)
Old 02-23-2023, 07:46 PM   #23
dsraven

here is a little info on what it looks like aftermarket
https://epasperformance.com/

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/ele...-does-it-work/

https://carbiketech.com/epas/

and finally, flaming river's got a kit and there is a video of how it works.

https://www.flamingriver.com/fr40200...power-steering

I would think an epas could easily be made to work on the task force truck if you put your mind to it.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:00 AM   #24
chevyguyase

I agree, the column looks the same as my '54 except for the shifter and a fancier column to dash mount. I didn't have to worry about the shifter because I have a B.W. 5 speed floor shift. But I've seen the column shifter used with EPAS. There is a video on YouTube keeping the column shifter, I think it's on a Hudson car. I used a Toyota Prius electric steering unit, but they sell EPAS kits. I've got $160.00 tied up in mine, I'm sure the kits are a few dollars more. Cutting up a perfectly good steering column and welding on steering components is scary stuff. I took my column out and walked around it for a week before I had the guts to cut it in half. No turning back now. HaHa
chevyguyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 10:15 AM   #25
dsraven

if you have a tight steering box, and you are kinda waffling on whether you wanna cut the column off to seperate the unit (which makes the steering box a paper weight usually), you could source a worn out box and column and cut the column off that one. there has to be lots of guys out there who have a water filled worn out steering box/column laying around because they have upgraded. that way you have the old one to fall back on should you decide you wanna keep it stock and you can sell it off to someone doing a stock rebuild possibly if you like the newer set up after doing it. that way a good box is kept for somebody who needs it totally stock and you still have what you need, furthering the hobby. thats assuming you go with a hydraulic power steering. if you go with epas then a tight steering box is exactly what you need to keep. I would really check the condition of the steering box before spending money on an epas system if it will be using the old steering gear.