The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2023, 10:10 PM   #1
70ssclone

Aftermarket heater for 55 2nd series ?

My 55 is a pretty stock truck mechanic wise . Still has a foot starter and vacuum wipers . The one thing the truck lacks is heat. At some point someone eliminated it all together so I have none of the original components. Have any of you guys added one of those 12v universal aftermarket deals to your trucks? If so can you add some pics and maybe a link to the one you used and anything else I need to know. Thanks in advance
70ssclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 11:06 AM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: Aftermarket heater for 55 2nd series ?

I just did a quick search on the site and came up with these threads. https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...archid=7200786 You should be able to find something of interest in here.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 11:39 AM   #3
Warrens69GMC

Maybe Vintage Air has you covered?

https://www.vintageair.com/custom/pr....php?pn=506101
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 11:48 AM   #4
dsraven

I guess firstly you will need to clarify whether it is an AD truck or a TF truck. they changed designs mid model year so your truck could be either.
it could be tough finding a good heater for either truck, one that will hold pressure and has a good fan motor, but you may find one in the classified ads here. lots of guys have added a generic after market heater and simply added some spots where the defrost hoses can connect. you may find something on a marine site if you look for a ski boat heater but a lot of those original heaters seem to be bought as a last run from a supplier and you may find the parts are non existant. try a site that sells bus heaters or auxilliary heaters for equipment that runs the correct size hose and the correct voltag for your truck.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 12:06 PM   #5
unclebrad

The Tri-Five forum has a section for 55-57 Chevy Trucks, Suburbans & Panel vans.
Maybe check there too?
https://www.trifive.com/forums/trifi...panel-vans.76/
unclebrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 12:43 PM   #6
dsraven

ok, sorry. I didn't read the whole title. 55 2nd series title, duh.
if looking for a direct bolt in you'll likely need to find a good used unit and then check for whether or not it needs a heater core and a motor.
some have a upgraded heater in them and these will have a square hole on the passengers hinge post for cold air intake. I had one in one of my trucks but sold it as I was going a different route and needed the storage space and, besides, I like to further the old truck rebuild process for another guy. the buyer was ecstatic to find a complete, working unit.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:59 PM   #7
72Mountaineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
I have this one in my '53, works great.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:11 PM   #8
dsraven

you could look at the red dot site as well, they sell heaters of all sorts.
https://www.reddotcorp.com/
Old 02-12-2023, 10:50 PM   #9
Stepside Jim

I used a heater I purchased from Classic Parts. The Kit part # is 68-991B.

It even comes with defrost hose and defrost outlets.

I did have to shorten the depth of the glove box for it to fit. It has worked perfect for 7 years.

I don't have any good pics in my build thread except for post #134, not much of a pic I know.

Good luck..
Old 02-12-2023, 10:51 PM   #10
Stepside Jim

https://www.classicparts.com/1955-59...tinfo/68-991B/

See if this works.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:41 AM   #11
dsraven

do you have the original defrost vent assemblies screwed in still, up under the dash? if so, you can find heaters like that for a bus, farm equipment, industrial equipment, marine use, etc. try to find one that has the vent hose connections on it with dimensions that will work for you and outlets that will be somewhat in the correct locations. after that check to see if a replacement core is available anywhere in case of future repairs.
on my boat heater I couldn't find a replacement core or a heater that would fit the spot so I went through the heater core size catalogue and found a well stocked unit, so very common, and made the heater fit the core. it was from a late model mustang I think.
as you can see by the pics, there isn't much to an aftermarket aux heater. its a thin alumninum box with a heater core inside, sitting in foam tape and supported on each end, then a fan unit blows across that and the air exits out some tube adapters. it simply screws to a flat surface and the hoses and electrical connect as required. some of our older firetrucks at work had floor mounted units in the crew cab as an afterthought and they all had them in the enclosed fire pump area to keep the components from freezing. I remember the school bus I rode as a kid had one under the seat. semi trucks use them for bunk heaters, etc etc. attached are a couple pics of my modified boat heater, I just added to the length.
I have a stock unit from a '58 but it is spoken for already or you could have it. sorry man. maybe someone who has one they don't need will private message you with an offer. that would be great.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2023, 05:09 PM   #12
1project2many

Quote:
I remember the school bus I rode as a kid had one under the seat.
Those heaters usually have no connections for dash vents. The one in the photos looks like a great option if you can build a reducer for the hose connections. Too bad the pictures don't reveal a part number.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 11:50 AM   #13
cameo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside Jim View Post
I just bought this (For 55-59 "Kit")
step 1, weld in the original holes. step 2 drill abunch of new holes. step 3 go buy a 2" hose because the 1.5" hose supplied with the kit doesnt come close to fitting. step 4 make new adapers to connect the hoses to the heater box. im not sure what step 5 will bring me.
I should have just rebuilt the original or went to Old air or something like that.
cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 12:59 AM   #14
dsraven

1project, that is the heater out of my tournament ski boat. I couldn't find a replacement core or a heater that was close enough to the same, so I used a core from a vehicle that is common and added onto the heater box so it fit inside. it would be easy to fab a new box to fit around a common core size and install a motor/blower fan, then cut out some outlets that fit the vent tube diameter you need and install some fabbed up vent tube adapters into the holes.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ing-components

there are lots of small heaters with pretty good output for defrosting and/or heating the cab. depends on what you want. if it's for a full on winter day, maybe something with more BTU's and outlet controls is needed. if just to clear the windshield then a smaller heater may be fine.
google search for cab heaters should bring up a bunch. tractor heater, bus heater, UTV heater, etc.try the google images once you get to the page.