The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #1
msg

1966 Sound System and Stereo advice needed

There hasnt been a working stereo in my truck since I bought her in 96. I have been restoring her for a few years now and I would like to keep her original looking but with the modern bells and whistles. The snooping I have done so far lead me to Custom AutoSound, RetroSound, and found a guy in Tennessee that takes a core unit and converts to AM/FM stereo/Aux input/USB port/Blue-Tooth with Voice Command, Aux/USB cables, 8GB thumb drive, Mic, Warranty, for 645.00 + the core and shipping.

I was hoping as most would, not to get carried away and get a nice looking and sounding system going and the bluetooth would be great but not a must. The cab I also wanted to not modify meaning keeping the doors and kick panels stock but under the bench and out of view I think is where I would try to add the rest of the sound system. Here is a pic of the PO's speaker locations..not interested in doing this again.

Can anyone suggest products based on their experience? Or even the ones to avoid? Thanks
Old 09-29-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
lsversaw

Re: 1966 Sound System and Stereo advice needed

msg, the guy in Tennessee should be able to build you a radio with just an auxiliary input -- no bluetooth or USB -- for less than $645. With an auxiliary input, you can connect to any current or future device that has a headphone output.

If AM/FM + aux is not part of Tennessee's service offering, PM me and I can do it for you.

I appreciate your desire to stick with original. I believe that even with a modified truck, you should only change the things that are appropriate fr your theme. And if you don't have a theme, your truck may end up looking like a hodge podge of afterthoughts. (I guess "hodge podge" could be a theme, though.)

I also belive you shouldn't have to give up modern comforts and conveniences to maintain an original look.

Let me know if you have other questions.
lsversaw is offline   Reply With Quote