The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2017, 11:08 PM   #601
evilokc

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJustMoney View Post
Got my repop fender burned in. It takes a lot of time and a bit of tweaking to get the gaps just right. Sorry trying to figure out how to flip the pics.
besides the newly dented passenger fender that's the only panel that needs attention. ow difficult was it to fit?
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:19 PM   #602
ItsJustMoney

Evil- my cab (obtained up the road from you in Espanola, NM) had passenger damage to the toeboard, passenger inner fender and outer cowl panel. I replaced everything in there. The inner brace between the 2 panels was reproduction part and needed the most reworking. The outer cowl panel didn't need a whole lot of work, it was mainly the whole repair process in general. The cab was in much better shape than others I have seen.

Last edited by ItsJustMoney; 12-03-2017 at 11:29 PM.
ItsJustMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:23 PM   #603
evilokc

alright. I have been ignoring my truck for a couple of weeks in order to give it time to think about what it did. I was forced to address it tonight as it was parked under the attic and I was given orders by the boss to get the Christmas stuff down. new fuel filter, new needle & seat and it fired right up. this time (seems to change every time I start the thing) the fuel pressure was a tad low. I adjusted it and let it run on the high idle circuit for about 5 minutes then dropped it to the normal idle for another 5 minutes. I continually watched the sight windows and the pressure gauge. everything seemed fine. backed it out of the garage and let it idle for about 30 minutes while I was in the attic ( had my partner in crime check the pressure gauge every couple of minutes). the truck idled with perfect pressure and float levels for about 40 minutes total before I pulled it back in. I'm sad to say that the truck idling correctly without flooding and pulling in & out of the garage is a total win. I'm pretty happy in a pathetic kind of way. I guess we have to revel in the little victories.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:53 PM   #604
jams97355

Got my new calendar from "The Filling Station" in Lebanon, Oregon today. They put a picture of my truck on the May month. First time for me. Feels good.
c-4 Flat Out Engineering suspension
jams97355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #605
robertsjm711

Quote:
Originally Posted by jams97355 View Post
Got my new calendar from "The Filling Station" in Lebanon, Oregon today. They put a picture of my truck on the May month. First time for me. Feels good.
Sounds like I need to make a trip over there tomorrow!

Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=743246
robertsjm711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:53 AM   #606
MiraclePieCo

I patched over the butchered steering column hole in my firewall, then cut a new properly-sized hole for my homemade column. Drilled the column shaft to accept a u-joint (using aircraft grade hardware) and mocked up the connection to the rack with a wooden dowel to get measurements. Ordered an appropriate length double D tonight. Tomorrow I'll fabricate a lower bracket to secure the bottom of the column.
Attached Images

MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:29 AM   #607
mud.man.rj

What engine are you running, just wondered how close the shaft will be to the exhaust when completed.
Mudman.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:56 AM   #608
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud.man.rj View Post
What engine are you running, just wondered how close the shaft will be to the exhaust when completed.
Mudman.
Very astute observation. With an SBC, rams horn exhaust manifold did indeed conflict with the steering shaft. I switched to a rear dump manifold, giving me more than an inch of clearance. And yes, it's all been mocked up and test-fitted already.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 12-10-2017 at 04:02 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #609
la hi

That steering column has to be secured at the firewall. How did you secure it?
la hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:40 PM   #610
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by la hi View Post
That steering column has to be secured at the firewall. How did you secure it?
Ah, my own words come back to haunt me, lol: "Tomorrow I'll fabricate a lower bracket to secure the bottom of the column."
I painted the column today, so I didn't get around to making the lower mount as I'd promised in my first post. Maybe tomorrow.
The plan is to do a plate/tube/bolt, something like this:
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #611
evilokc

fired it up and pulled it out of of the garage to make room for some garage projects. pulled it back in when I was done.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #612
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
fired it up and pulled it out of of the garage to make room for some garage projects. pulled it back in when I was done.
Well at least you got the fluids circulated. Try to park it in a slightly different location so your tires don't get flat-spotted from sitting.
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #613
evilokc

my plan for this week is short. I need to move my fuel line away from the header and adjust the rear float. I'm dropping my dented front fender off at the shop today to be fixed.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #614
idbeast

Getting ready to start my No Limit X-member kit!
Attached Images

idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:37 PM   #615
bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Very astute observation. With an SBC, rams horn exhaust manifold did indeed conflict with the steering shaft. I switched to a rear dump manifold, giving me more than an inch of clearance. And yes, it's all been mocked up and test-fitted already.
What manifold did you go with? I have block hugger headers and they interfere with the steering shaft.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #616
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
What manifold did you go with? I have block hugger headers and they interfere with the steering shaft.
Unfortunately not nearly as efficient or attractive as your block huggers:

Casting # 14007400
267-305-350
1980 Century, Grand Prix, LeMans 305
1980 Chevrolet passenger
267-305-350
1980 Malibu, Monte Carlo, Sprint 267-305
1980-81 Regal 305
1981 Camaro 267-305-350
1981 Chevrolet passenger, Malibu, Pontiac, Sprint 267-305
1981 Firebird 305
1981 LeMans 267
1982 Buick, Malibu, Monte Carlo, Olds, Pontiac, Regal, Sprint 267
1982 Chevrolet passenger 267-305
1982-86 Cutlass, Malibu, Monte Carlo, Pontiac, Regal, Sprint 305
1983-86 Grand Prix 305
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 12-20-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:33 PM   #617
evilokc

took my dented out of round fender to the shop. now I don't know if any of you have had to have any body work done on your trucks but no shop wants to touch old metal anymore. took forever to find a guy. the insurance estimated 6 hours work. I told them they were wrong. the body shop said 12hours. I called the assessor and had him call the shop directly. my brother is in town for the holidays and we are going to get into the garage and find out what my fuel issue is. hes a great mechanic and builder so I have high hopes. hes also my best friend and nothing is better then wrenching with a good friend.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:06 PM   #618
Mrbret

Cleaned out the all the dirt so i can soon install the wire harness and cleaned up the tach gauge.
Attached Images

Mrbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:55 AM   #619
evilokc

my brother and I did get into the garage and made miracles happen. took about 20 minutes and my brother noticed that the truck started and idled great but as soon as it was warm had all kinds of fuel issues. went super lean. ive been saying that's what it did but couldn't figure it out. we tried to adjust the choke and it was STUCK! we had to use a flat blade screw driver to pop it off. once that was done we were able to get it right and it made a huge difference. then we rest all of the mixture screws and for kicks checked the timing. the timing seemed fine to me but he moved it a degree or two and wouldn't you know it made all the difference. my stumble is gone, my self adjusting float levels are gone, my STUMBLE is GONE! I have done all of the adjustments before but I would have never thought about this being a choke issue. I hadn't even considered it. we took the truck out for a quick drive and it was smooth as silk. we are gonna beat on it over the next couple of days to see if it requires any further adjustment. telling you guys there is nothing like wrenching with your best friend.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #620
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
my brother and I did get into the garage and made miracles happen. took about 20 minutes and my brother noticed that the truck started and idled great but as soon as it was warm had all kinds of fuel issues. went super lean. ive been saying that's what it did but couldn't figure it out. we tried to adjust the choke and it was STUCK! we had to use a flat blade screw driver to pop it off. once that was done we were able to get it right and it made a huge difference. then we rest all of the mixture screws and for kicks checked the timing. the timing seemed fine to me but he moved it a degree or two and wouldn't you know it made all the difference. my stumble is gone, my self adjusting float levels are gone, my STUMBLE is GONE! I have done all of the adjustments before but I would have never thought about this being a choke issue. I hadn't even considered it. we took the truck out for a quick drive and it was smooth as silk. we are gonna beat on it over the next couple of days to see if it requires any further adjustment. telling you guys there is nothing like wrenching with your best friend.
Heck yeah! That's awesome to hear. Now for a longer drive to shake out all the bolts that weren't tightened

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #621
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Heck yeah! That's awesome to hear. Now for a longer drive to shake out all the bolts that weren't tightened
we plan to have it out for several longer harder drives over the next three days. I will of course keep you all posted. I'm stoked about it man!!
Old 12-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #622
mud.man.rj

Tis the season for miracle's even for a truck.
Mudman.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #623
bowt1ed

Finally got my McGaughy's drop spindles on. Liking how it dropped it back down to sea level! Funny - I was lowering it off the jack stands and actually got the floor jack stuck under the crossmember. Luckily, Santa brought me a new low profile jack! Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Cheers, Jim
Attached Images

bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:19 PM   #624
1958 FLEETSIDE
RUNNING OUT OF TIME

Looks good
Old 12-28-2017, 04:24 AM   #625
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowt1ed View Post
Finally got my McGaughy's drop spindles on. Liking how it dropped it back down to sea level!
Cheers, Jim
I see you installed new lowering coils. It usually takes 100 miles or so for a set of new coils to settle, in my experience as much as 2-3 inches. Combined with the drop spindles, after driving your truck may end up lower than you want!