The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2017, 10:33 PM   #1
Matt_50

Hide tank filler

Hey guys, what kind of things have y'all done to hide the filler for your under bed gas tanks? This truck will be mostly for puttering around town but I would like to not have the fill up coming up through the bed.

Mines a 1950 3100.

Possible to hide behind license plate?
Matt_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:41 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Hide tank filler

unless your license plate is mounted high it may be to low to fill the tank without issues...check out hagans fill door..its what im using...mounts in rear fender...
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Hagan-...or-,46399.html
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:45 PM   #3
Matt_50

Ok. That's an option. What if the filler cover was flush with the wood? Anyone got something like that?
Old 09-18-2017, 11:10 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I thought you didn't want the fuel fill in the bed..anyways...there's quite a few builds on here with flush mounted fuel fills in the bed...hagan does make that same style filler in a flat design. ..
Old 09-18-2017, 11:15 PM   #5
Matt_50

Yea I'd prefer if it wasn't lol. Just trying to see my options. I see a lot of back and forth stuff about in cab tanks... I think it would be fine. They were in for decades but I'd like the room if I found an option I liked.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:29 PM   #6
mongocanfly
Post Whore

take it from a guy that had 5gal of gas blow up in his face...I DONT want a tank in my cab...I don't care how many they built that way
Old 09-18-2017, 11:29 PM   #7
Matt_50

With cab space my biggest wish... has anyone made or done a shelf like thing above the tank?
Old 09-18-2017, 11:31 PM   #8
Matt_50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
take it from a guy that had 5gal of gas blow up in his face...I DONT want a tank in my cab...I don't care how many they built that way
That makes keeping a cab tank a little scary.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:35 PM   #9
mongocanfly
Post Whore

yep...it'll definitely get your attention. .
Old 09-18-2017, 11:41 PM   #10
Matt_50

What about if you get rear ended?
Old 09-19-2017, 01:49 AM   #11
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I'm going to build a cage around mine...
Old 09-19-2017, 01:59 AM   #12
Matt_50

I've been busy with the search engine. Looks like camaro and mustang are the two big donors for this.

What exactly is needed to add one of these tanks? Could I still use mechanical pump on engine? Run a gas and vapor line right? What about venting and sending units? Looks like mustang tanks give issues on sending units.

I've also decided that a flush to the floor filler lid actually looks ok. So... What neck and cover etc is best?

Trying to price out options.

If I did keep cab tank I'm looking little over a 100 bucks easy to clean, seal, paint, filler neck and lines and sender plus misc grommets, and rubber cushions and strap hardware. All I have are the straps..
Old 09-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #13
nvrdone

why not look at using an under cab tank like the '48's had. maybe one out of an s10? that way its mounted low but still protected by the frame rails. I saw one mounted under the bed that had the filler neck inside the stake pocket. looked trick.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #14
vintovka

The idea of a in cab tank was before gas was found to have known human carcinogens.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #15
Matt_50

I can see moving it due to risk of cancer.. but that's only if your exposed right? If the system and tank are sealed like it is supposed to be there wouldn't be a risk
Old 09-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #16
Matt_50

I've been googling a lot and I want to make sure I'm on the right page.

67ish mustang tank will mount directly to the frame rails and I will need to trim frame rails 3/4 inch each side. And that's all? It's installed, no straps? Sits lower than camaro tank.

67ish camaro tank will also got in frame rails but no trimming but I do need to make a cradle and straps? Right so far?
Old 09-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #17
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_50 View Post
I can see moving it due to risk of cancer.. but that's only if your exposed right? If the system and tank are sealed like it is supposed to be there wouldn't be a risk
Many years ago "60 Minutes" (late 70's) did a story on the dangers of gas tanks in truck cabs. It showed videos of how the rubber between the metal filler neck and tank became hard and brittle over the years and in an impact that rubber would tear or even shatter spraying gas inside the cab. It had led to many fires and deaths. As you can imagine, these were horrible deaths.

For me it's a no brainer to remove a dozen gallons plus of flamable liquid behind my back.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #18
vintovka

Quote:
Warning Health issue rant ahead (from a retired toxicologist/AD owner).

Sorry, but there always be a substantial flammability and health risk with gasoline. Its just bad for the mega powerful petroleum and automobile business to talk about it.

First many are unaware that "GAS" is made from a mixture of mostly BENZENE, with amounts of Toluene, Xylene (and used to have Tetra ethyl Lead) plus some nasty additives like MTBE

Human detection of 'gas" (benzene) odor is reported at about 60 ppm in air. They put the "action" (or danger level) at 1 ppm over 50 years ago. This was based on now outdated chemical reaction devices like German Drager tubes left over from WW1 dated technology. The real danger level at low concentration is really unknown. Any exposure is bad.

I used hydrocarbon detectors on a daily basis for over 30 years and found hydrocarbons just "seep" straight thru many materials. . Even when you can't smell it GAS vapors build up in any space. A closed cab can be a perfect gas chamber. Even the best materials seem to just slow it down and may contain it in its liquid state. In toxicology they say "dose makes the poison" that includes level of contaminants, Number of and length of time of exposure. How long do you spend driving, how often do come in contact?

Add "gas" to all the other baddies we get exposed to on a daily basis and its not a good bet to ensure a long healthy life. As long as we depend on "gas" it make sense to move it as far from the cab as possible. An "in cab" tank makes NO sense to me.

My tank is now underneath the bed with a side filler thru Drivers side rear fender. Convenience and may minimize spill damage. Can be filled from either side with the new longer hoses and is out of your breathing path driving.

Heres a little article that you might find interesting. Your lifelong views of smelling and exposure to "GAS" may change

http://kenburridge.com/can-you-smell-gasoline-fumes/

Last edited by vintovka; 09-19-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:17 PM   #19
57chevyman

Quote:
Hey guys, what kind of things have y'all done to hide the filler for your under bed gas tanks? This truck will be mostly for puttering around town but I would like to not have the fill up coming up through the bed.

Mines a 1950 3100.

Possible to hide behind license plate?
i hid mine behind license plate. mines a 1957
Attached Images

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
57chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #20
vintovka

Very nice and neat, Minimal to no chance of spill or dropped nozzle damage. As convenient as you can get. Only question. How does it fill?
Old 09-19-2017, 09:57 PM   #21
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Many years ago "60 Minutes" (late 70's) did a story on the dangers of gas tanks in truck cabs. It showed videos of how the rubber between the metal filler neck and tank became hard and brittle over the years and in an impact that rubber would tear or even shatter spraying gas inside the cab. It had led to many fires and deaths. As you can imagine, these were horrible deaths.

For me it's a no brainer to remove a dozen gallons plus of flamable liquid behind my back.
I recall seeing the video years ago, it was an issue in a side impact or sideswipe collisions. The filler neck would tear out and fuel "spray" would fill the cab. One errant spark and you're in a world of hurt, being burned to death would be a horrible way to go.
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #22
Matt_50

Would a mustang tank be my best option as far as install and for? No straps or cradle to hold it?
Old 09-19-2017, 11:27 PM   #23
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Would a mustang tank be my best option as far as install and for? No straps or cradle to hold it?
This is what a mustang tank would look like in your truck

post #7
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=396325

Mustang tank is 32 x 7-1/2 inches deep 16 gallons .
Camaro is 39-3/8 x 7-3/4 deep 18 gallons

your frame at the tail gate is 54"
The frames pictured above are all 34"

There is no way to put a gas tank in the rear without a cradle and /or straps of some type on a 47 -54. 55 to 59 you can use a Mustang fairly easy.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:48 PM   #24
PDW HOTRODS

I have a friend who had in cab tank and got rear ended. His truck was lowered and got hit in the bed, not bumper. Bed pushed into the back of the cab and the tank got smashed and leaked. Under back of bed would be safer in almost any accident.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:55 PM   #25
Matt_50

Thanks for the link..really shows how it would fit. Looked like a couple extra crossmembers and it was mounted to those right? How do I know how far up or down or how far back to go?