The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
Mains52

MII Spindles: What do you guys use?

I am putting a MII on my truck and was wondering if I could use the spindles and brakes from the previous S10 swap project. Its would save me some time and money. Have any of you guys used salvage stuff before?
Thanks
Mains52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: MII Spindles: What do you guys use?

nope, the s10 stuff wont work on a MII crossmember.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
Mains52

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
nope, the s10 stuff wont work on a MII crossmember.
Well sh!t. Thanks JoeDoh . Do I need to search M2 spindles?
Old 12-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #4
whitedog76

Some MII kits use a GM style caliper, that’s about all you’ll be able to use.

On another note. There are kits out there that let you use late model Mustang 12.4 or 13” brakes on the MII spindle.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
joedoh

yes you will need MII spindles and control arms and brakes. there are a lot of kits out there. I may do a MII this coming year but jeeze, the cost of the swap is daunting. 100 here, 200 there, rinse and repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
There are kits out there that let you use late model Mustang 12.4 or 13” brakes on the MII spindle.
remember that your smallest wheel size that fits over the brakes will go up proportionately when you make the brakes bigger. not a big deal if you plan on running 17-18-20, but could be a big deal when you get a flat and only have a 15" spare. I think 12 or 12.2 is the limit for a 15" wheel.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
Mains52

Quote:
yes you will need MII spindles and control arms and brakes. there are a lot of kits out there. I may do a MII this coming year but jeeze, the cost of the swap is daunting. 100 here, 200 there, rinse and repeat

remember that your smallest wheel size that fits over the brakes will go up proportionately when you make the brakes bigger. not a big deal if you plan on running 17-18-20, but could be a big deal when you get a flat and only have a 15" spare. I think 12 or 12.2 is the limit for a 15" wheel.
Yeah just looking at the nickel and diming of it makes me consider a sub frame swap. That could be my impatient side coming out also. I want to drive this thing.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:35 PM   #7
my56chevytruck

Nope, M2 and chevy stuff won't mix, my advice is call Summit Racing for a set of front spindles. Good source
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:25 PM   #8
HuntinNut

Quote:

I tried S10 wheels with my 11 in rotors and the calipers would rub.. I'm in the process of enlarging the bore hole on 18in 5th generation wheels right now. Have two done and two to go..
HuntinNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:24 AM   #9
mr48chev

A bit of diligent parts hunting should put brakes on the MII spindles for around 200 bucks when you include new 11 inch rotors and forged caliper brackets and used or reconditioned calipers. Used calipers being those that you have that you know work. I have used this style of forged caliper bracket and they are pretty nice https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-FORGED-ST...VXc3tN&vxp=mtr

If you are running stock MII control arms the upper ball joint is the same ball joint that is on most 70 something big Ford cars and Lincoln MK IV I checked that in the early 80's

I don't see the S-10 swap as being that cheap anymore Guys go out and pay the going price for a running driving 90 something S-10 drive it home and strip the body off and then start cleaning up the chassis and find out that the front suspension usually needs a complete rebuild, that they need to swap rear axles to a wider one, that as they want to run bags they have to buy a bag kit that the cost of would make up a good part of a MII kit designed for and including the bag setup. The S-10 rear suspension setup gets dumped a good portion of the time for a control arm setup for bags and some still get a notch to clear a full drop. Then the rear is too narrow so it gets swapped at additional bucks. The S-10 body parts don't bring much if anything no matter what shape they are in because Craigslist if full of S-10 body parts that have languished there for months.

20 years ago you could drag an S-10 with a busted 4 or V6 out of some guys back yard for hauling it off half the time and 100 to 200 bought it the rest of the time. Now guys want 500 to 1K for the same dead trucks in much worse shape. At least around here.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:20 AM   #10
joedoh

well if any of that were true about the economy of an s10 swap, there wouldnt be a single guy picking an s10 over a MII, would there? the actual truth is, you buy a MII and thats what you have. you buy an S10 and you have a highway rear, leaf springs, gas tank and trans crossmember, brake lines and fuel ines, booster and master, pedals and column and wiring harness, roller wheels, even a driveshaft to shorten and a power steering pump with lines and thousand other things that dont come in the box with a MII. the real economy is that a complete S10 donor (~1000) plus rebuilding a front end of an s10 (500) and not selling even a single part is cheaper than most complete MII, that you still have hours of work ahead to install.

its good there are guys on this forum who have done one or the other or both pointing out the pros and cons to the guys who have done neither. which one of those are you again?

Old 12-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #11
Mains52

Quote:
well if any of that were true about the economy of an s10 swap, there wouldnt be a single guy picking an s10 over a MII, would there? the actual truth is, you buy a MII and thats what you have. you buy an S10 and you have a highway rear, leaf springs, gas tank and trans crossmember, brake lines and fuel ines, booster and master, pedals and column and wiring harness, roller wheels, even a driveshaft to shorten and a power steering pump with lines and thousand other things that dont come in the box with a MII. the real economy is that a complete S10 donor (~1000) plus rebuilding a front end of an s10 (500) and not selling even a single part is cheaper than most complete MII, that you still have hours of work ahead to install.

its good there are guys on this forum who have done one or the other or both pointing out the pros and cons to the guys who have done neither. which one of those are you again?
Well I am neither yet. but the S10 frame I got for free had sat in a field for years and everything connected to it needed replaced. I am picking up this 3100 frame for 150 with a v8 crossmember. Its a good start for my project to restart on. I am still wishy washy on what I want to do on my front end. I know I am doing a 4 link in the rear. I am picking up the frame this Saturday. I am going to get it home clean it up and access the situation from there I will update my project thread next week with pictures. Thanks Guys
Old 12-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #12
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mains52 View Post
Well I am neither yet.
sorry, I was asking mr48 how many s10 swaps he has done to condone them, or how many MII he has done to recommend them. you say you are considering doing a front clip, I think mr48 has done one.

I dont have a preference either way, if you say you want a MII its your truck and I dont have a stake in it and wont spend a dollar on it. if you say you want an s10 I will give you advice based on my experience. I will say that buying parts at the lowest price doesnt really save any money, as you are finding out. the cheapest frame needs everything replaced and you end up spending as much on the fix. your $150 3100 frame will need a $1500 front suspension, or a $200 clip with $500 worth of rebuild parts and labor to install. it all washes out to be about the same $1500 kicking around. you often find your destiny on the path you take to avoid it. (king fu panda)