The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #1
mr.haney

1954 wheel problem

I just bought a `54 5 window that someone put on a 3/4T chassis. The wheels are 16" 8 lug with a 4" backset. Problem is the inside of the wheel rubs against the tie rod end and steering arm. Rubs on both driver and passenger side but is worse on driver side. Book shows 16" wheel as stock size. Looking for answers to this problem. Can`t find any wheels locally with less backset. Not sure if spacers and longer studs is a good idea. Also, I realize the cab change over has nothing to do with this issue. I know another owner who has the same issue with a 1953 3/4T...wheels hit tie rod ends and steering arm. Any suggestions?
mr.haney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
robertsjm711

Re: 1954 wheel problem

You might have to order wheels with uncommon offset/backspacing, I got mine from Summit Racing. I had the same problem, I have a '53 on S10 frame w/ 12 bolt rear. I am running a wheel spacer on the front, I have read that is pretty common on my application so if you have room that would be an option you could consider.

Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=743246
robertsjm711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
mr48chev

Be it half ton or 3/4 ton a lot of us have fought the tire won't clear the tie rod end on tight turns thing over the years and that includes my 14 inch wheels with 205 70 tires on the front. Mine is partially due to not having the stops on the front to limit travel like it should though.

Even though 16 inch is the factory stock size you may have later rims or tires that are a size or two larger causing the rub. You might take a quick look and see if the stops are there too, they are usually a tab that goes under the nut on the pinch bolt for the kingpin and the tab sets to the outside of the nut limiting travel when you turn. Mine were gone when I got the axle and I never hunted down another set.

One more thing comes to mind and that is that the pieces inside the stock tie rod end may be so worn down that the screw has been turned in a long way to take up the slack and there is more tie rod end sticking out closer to the tire than should be. There are repair kits that include a new spring and the pieces that cup the ball on the steering arm that should bring things back to spec.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:18 PM   #4
whitedog76

On my 54, I have rims from a Ford E250. They just barely clear the tie rods. I’ve heard of others using, Dexstar wheels without issue.

With a 60+ year old truck, it’s hard to say what all has been done over the years. Different bearings, tie rods, etc....

Another trick that has been used, is to update to later style tie rod ends. Here’s a link

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads...1010883&page=1
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote