The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2007, 03:19 PM   #26
dastuck

Re: 72 c10 getting in over my head

I finally got some more accomplished. I picked up a 68 parts truck. I got it tore down and now have a good front suspension crossmember and rear coil support brackets. I spend today cleaning up the frame a bit and transformed my long wheel base frame into a short wheel base truck. I got the frame cut and started welding until i ran out of wire so i didnt get finished but got both sides joined together. Here are a few picts of the frame in two pieces.
Attached Images

dastuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:03 PM   #27
dastuck

well I just finished welding up the frame and getting my fish plates welded in and have the frame all cleaned up. I now have a finished short wheel base frame besides some touch up items. Here are a few pics.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #28
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

That is a pretty clean bead on that weld. Not bad for a country boy working in the nuclear industry.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #29
dastuck

I was pretty happy with the way it turned out running flux core and never taking a welding class.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:22 AM   #30
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Looks nice, good work.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:57 PM   #31
dastuck

Ordered some rust bullet for the frame yesterday. Should be here this week sometime and starting next tuesday im off for 2 weeks so I plan to have the frame sprayed and ready to go. Going with metallic silver and dark red springs.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:20 PM   #32
dastuck

I got the frame prepped and sprayed with rust bullet the last two day. Its been pretty cold around here the last few days, it was 18 degrees when i got up this morning to head into the woods to do a little bow hunting (should have had a big 9 point if it wasnt for the little branch that my arrow found in between me and the buck). So ive had a fire going in the shop and kept it nice and warm to let the paint cure. The rust bullet it sprayed pretty good and covered any pits pretty well. This was my first attempt at spraying anything. Ive still got the suspension components, tranny and front suspension crossmember to clean up along with the rear axle, then shoot them. Heres some pics.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2007, 06:03 PM   #33
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastuck View Post
well I just finished welding up the frame and getting my fish plates welded in and have the frame all cleaned up. I now have a finished short wheel base frame besides some touch up items. Here are a few pics.
Did you do that work with that 110 Lincoln welder in the background ? If so, you're damn sure getting every amp of heat that that thing will put out. Damn fine job on the beads brother. Those are too pretty to grind smooth.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:34 PM   #34
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastuck View Post
I got the frame prepped and sprayed with rust bullet the last two day. Its been pretty cold around here the last few days, it was 18 degrees when i got up this morning to head into the woods to do a little bow hunting (should have had a big 9 point if it wasnt for the little branch that my arrow found in between me and the buck). So ive had a fire going in the shop and kept it nice and warm to let the paint cure. The rust bullet it sprayed pretty good and covered any pits pretty well. This was my first attempt at spraying anything. Ive still got the suspension components, tranny and front suspension crossmember to clean up along with the rear axle, then shoot them. Heres some pics.
Dave:

How much paint the frame and did you include the activator in your mix?
Old 11-24-2007, 06:51 PM   #35
watahyahknow

nice job man looks great i be keeping an eye on the progress

i'm planning on shortening a lwb frame but might go totaly different i have the 79 frame and truck and thinking on getting a truckarm rearsetup .
that might turn out to chopping off the rearpart of the frame behind the cab and make a support just for the rearbags and the bed

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:04 PM   #36
dastuck

Thanks guys as you can see from the amount of pictures on this thread im pretty proud of this project since it is my first attempt at doing anything like this. Tx Firefighter, ya that 110 lincoln is what ive accomlished all of my welding with. I wasnt sure weather she would have enough ass to get the job done but after a few practice runs on some scrap and a big ass hammer to test my welds i was satisfied. Frank I didnt use an activator. Thats what i like about this rust bullet, whats in the can is what you spray, roll, or brush on (your choice). You dont thin it or anything. I use the automotive formula and it sprayed really well. After it dried I tried to scratch it (a scrap fiece that i painted) and it didnt scratch off unless i really tried.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #37
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Looks damn good....

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #38
dastuck

I spent the last two days enjoying the warmth of the wood stove, cleaning up parts and spraying some more rust bullet. I got the front control arms, tranny crossmember, and a few other odds and ends done. Here are a few pics. Now i just need to go pick up a press and get the old upper control arm studs out of my front crossmember and and spray it and i can start bolting some parts together. I also need to pick up some tubing so i can build my trailing arms. Once that is done i will be close to a rolling chassis.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #39
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I always just thumped those upper control arm studs out with a mini sledge.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:06 PM   #40
dastuck

I was going to attempt that but i figured i would buy a press anyway. I couldnt figure out what to get my father for christmas so i figured a press would be a perfect gift. And maybe i could use it when needed.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:24 PM   #41
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Hopefully that GTO is sitting outside for the paint spraying periods or Mom is going to be really PO'd. How much paint did you purchase and how much of it have you used on the frame so far.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 AM   #42
dastuck

Ya the goat was pulled outside anytime we were grinding on anything or painting. I purchased 2 quarts and have used a little over a quart thus far.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #43
revn67

lol.....i was thinking the samething about the car, nice welds and great project so far...i should get my butt out there in my garage but its 13 degrees out right now!

"finish your beer, theres sober kids in india!"
revn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:21 AM   #44
Shock_Me

Hey dastuck, frame's looking great so far! I'm really diggin' the silver.
Are you planning on running a one piece drive shaft? If so you might want to remove the hanger bearing bracket now while you have easy access to it. I dropped my rearend 6" the other week, and the driveshaft was rubbing pretty hard on that bracket. It was a beeotch trying to cut it off while laying on a creeper!

Pete
Shock_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #45
jlaird

really nice welds and nice paint! good job man.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:40 PM   #46
dastuck

Im not sure on driveshaft so far. I need to do some research and find out what most guys are doing with with theyres after they shortened the frame.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #47
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Great work so far man!

For driveshafts, from what I see, most go with a single piece. Its not that expensive to get a custom length one.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #48
dastuck

i will probably end up with a one piece driveshaft. I got the studs out of the front suspension crossmember the other day and got it cleaned up. I just need to get it sprayed and i can start to bolt a few things up to the frame.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #49
CUSTOM/10

The trucks looking good, but enough of that!!! I want to see that 9 pointer hanging from the pole !!!

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #50
dastuck

so do i. I havent been out much latelty due to work and rifle season (im not much into rifle hunting anymore). i took my sisters boyfriend out sunday and set him in a stand and walked the timber toward him to give him his first chance and a deer. He ended up taking a decent doe which died in the middle of the river, which was a little bit of a pain to retrieve. We had to roe the canoe about a 1/4 mile up the river from where i had the canoe stashed to get the deer and then drag the dead weight behind the canoe back to the bank. He was on cloud nine after that though. Im heading to branson for the weekend and have to work next week so i wont make it back into the stand until probably next weekend but that should be plenty of time to let everything in the woods settle back down.