The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #76
hewittca

Re: 67-72 Development/Concept Photos Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
I'm not sure how the full-size conceptual models are made these days. I'm guessing its through the use of CAD and huge CNC-type machines to carve out the shapes. However, back in the day, these guys were frickin' artists! Shaping the models out of massive blocks of clay by hand. True craftsmanship.
I agree! Going through all these photos, I couldn't help but imagine how fun it must have been working out these designs with just some paper, pencils, rulers, and clay. Some things certainly were simpler back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklajoie View Post
Funny how 69 trucks are rolling down the line with 68 Caprices alongside.
That is interesting. Maybe this was taken in the transition period and the trucks were updated first, so these are very early '69 pickups and very late '68 Caprices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geunther View Post
Pretty good attention to detail. The "2" at the beginning of the license plate designates the City of Cheyenne (County Seat). And its a Cheyenne Super model.
I would have never known that, and I'm sure most people looking at that photo wouldn't either! That is a cool detail, thanks for pointing it out.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:46 AM   #77
nibulus

Quote:
I'm not sure how the full-size conceptual models are made these days. I'm guessing its through the use of CAD and huge CNC-type machines to carve out the shapes. However, back in the day, these guys were frickin' artists! ...
Your guess is quite close to reality. At least for OEMs with larger volume, since the modeling machines are not that cheap (less surprising).

Here's an example of one. As you can see, details/changes are often modelled manually.

To reduce cost, one option is to use the frame of an existing vehicle, on which sort of "clay sheets" or thin "blocks" are mounted and then modelled either by machine or hand, depending on availability of 3D-data.

Another option is to make a completely new frame for the clay model, made of whatever material is reasonable. It could theoretically be made of wood, polymer, metal or whatever, depending on the purpose of the full-size model (exterior only, interior, engine bay etc.). Sometimes the models have to be driveable.

Quote:
... Shaping the models out of massive blocks of clay by hand. True craftsmanship.
I'd say those models in this thread weren't made of one massive clay block either. Not only to reduce cost.

Either way, it was and still is true craftmanship. And art. Funny to see that the challenges at the time (regarding cost, industrialization, marketing etc.) were pretty much the same as nowadays.

Speaking of challenges, it'd be really interesting to get some in-depth info about GM's product development / industrialization process back then.
nibulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #78
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Amazing all the work that went into planning the trucks we all love!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #79
trac209

Great pictures thank you for posting
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #80
Boyd67

Interesting photos

-67' C10 SWB FLEETSIDE LS 5.3 4 speed muncie
Boyd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #81
72 tigger

Bringing this back up- some may have missed this. A lot of cool pics
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:21 PM   #82
dmjlambert

Yes, thanks for bringing this back to the top. Simply fantastic thread. It would be fun to have one of those clay models made in 1963 or 1964 for display in my yard. I wonder if they were all disposed of.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #83
tommys72

Very cool thread. Every time it comes to the top, i read the entire thing over again. Haha

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:44 PM   #84
Getter-Done

Thanks for sharing.
Those are awesome pictures.
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #85
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
I agree! Going through all these photos, I couldn't help but imagine how fun it must have been working out these designs with just some paper, pencils, rulers, and clay. Some things certainly were simpler back then.
GM has a way of taking the fun out of this kind of stuff....

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:06 AM   #86
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibulus View Post
Your guess is quite close to reality. At least for OEMs with larger volume, since the modeling machines are not that cheap (less surprising).

Here's an example of one. As you can see, details/changes are often modelled manually.

To reduce cost, one option is to use the frame of an existing vehicle, on which sort of "clay sheets" or thin "blocks" are mounted and then modelled either by machine or hand, depending on availability of 3D-data.

Another option is to make a completely new frame for the clay model, made of whatever material is reasonable. It could theoretically be made of wood, polymer, metal or whatever, depending on the purpose of the full-size model (exterior only, interior, engine bay etc.). Sometimes the models have to be driveable.

I'd say those models in this thread weren't made of one massive clay block either. Not only to reduce cost.

Either way, it was and still is true craftmanship. And art. Funny to see that the challenges at the time (regarding cost, industrialization, marketing etc.) were pretty much the same as nowadays.
The surface is created in the Design Studio via computer software (typically a modeling software that is "friendly" to creating smooth curves and blended surfaces).

The data can then be transferred to the clay modelers and the surface created in clay for review. This can be full size, half scale, quarter scale, as desired. You are also correct that it is not a "giant block of clay", but a layer of clay added over an "armature", that is, a structure of metal, wood and/or Styrofoam.

After there is agreement that the surface meets Studio expectations then it is sent over to engineering for evaluation, to make sure the panels can be formed and establish details like door cut lines, "B" surface details like what you see when you open the doors and such, material thickness and component packaging. Once that's done then the engineering team can start designing up the individual parts and details in earnest, in a different software that is more conducive to part detail and manufacturability.

It would be easy (...easier...) if this was just a straight flow through process but naturally it is an iterative process, as engineering learns that certain items won't work or can't be made. The Studio is also characterized by changing their mind or wanting to add content late in the game because they just saw the latest whiz bang thing or because they want to introduce the latest styling theme on the product just before it launches.

It is a constant game of give-and-take as a result of the creative tension between the two groups and their requisite personalities.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 03-13-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #87
Keith Seymore

Quote:

Speaking of challenges, it'd be really interesting to get some in-depth info about GM's product development / industrialization process back then.
This happens to be about Camaros but it would be relevant to other passenger car models and trucks as well. This is the best overview I've seen and was written by John Hinckley, who was on the production launch team at the time. He is pictured in the body drop photo, in the white shirt with his back to the camera.

K

http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml
1986 - 2019
Old 03-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #88
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Yes, thanks for bringing this back to the top. Simply fantastic thread. It would be fun to have one of those clay models made in 1963 or 1964 for display in my yard. I wonder if they were all disposed of.
The full size clays are disposed of and the clay and supporting structure reused.

Sometimes very quickly (within days), depending on the level of product security required or desired.

K
1986 - 2019
Old 03-14-2017, 02:05 AM   #89
nibulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
This happens to be about Camaros but it would be relevant to other passenger car models and trucks as well. This is the best overview I've seen and was written by John Hinckley, who was on the production launch team at the time. He is pictured in the body drop photo, in the white shirt with his back to the camera.

http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml
Thanks for your additions. Good stuff. Just have to find/take the time to read that article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
The full size clays are disposed of and the clay and supporting structure reused.

Sometimes very quickly (within days), depending on the level of product security required or desired.
I guess this depends on the financial situation, development/design stage and philosophy of the OEM. I know at least one European OEM, which store some of the final full-size clays somewhere in a (or several) warehouse(s).
nibulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:50 AM   #90
Keith Seymore

Quote:

I guess this depends on the financial situation, development/design stage and philosophy of the OEM. I know at least one European OEM, which store some of the final full-size clays somewhere in a (or several) warehouse(s).
Not so much financially based in the case of GM; more related to the sheer volume of properties produced, and the fact that they are "perishable".

More permanent properties, like fiberglass bucks/mockups and actual show car properties are kept. Clay models are photographed in great detail and the photos cataloged and stored in the basement of the Studio.

Unfortunately we had some flooding in Southeast Michigan a few years ago and many items were lost or damaged.

K
1986 - 2019
Old 03-14-2017, 08:15 AM   #91
Grumpy old man

Anybody else notice the new Camaros and vettes all look like the transformer toy cars our kids played with 30 years ago ? coincidence ?
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #92
fecklessgadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Anybody else notice the new Camaros and vettes all look like the transformer toy cars our kids played with 30 years ago ? coincidence ?
Of course they do, those kids (myself included) are now both the designers and the target market.

2014 GMC Terrain I4 (wife's new ride)
2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5 (wife's old ride)
2003 GMC Sierra 5.3 Extended Cab
1972 Chevy Cheyenne 350
fecklessgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #93
rockyrivermark

coolest thread I've seen yet.
awesome.. thanks for sharing!!
RRM
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #94
painterljp

Very cool thread to go thru, but am glad they turned out as they did cause some of those proto types are ugly.

Great reading thanks for sharing.
painterljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #95
hewittca

I am currently working on an update for the 73-87 development photos, and within my latest photo set for that, I also found the photos below and thought they would best be placed here given their dates.

Aside 4, Chevrolet Tempo

Before seeing the photos below, I had never heard of the Chevrolet Tempo concept. Even after seeing that it existed, I could not find any information on it to support these photos. With that said, the only information I have on this concept is what I've gathered from the photos themselves. It appears that after the shelved Blazer concept that GM was working on in '65, they moved on to a similarly sized light utility truck called the Tempo in '67. Although the Tempo was similar in size to the original Blazer concept, you can see that it was a completely unique design, sharing almost nothing with the original Blazer. By '70, GM was clearly as far along with the Tempo concept as they were the original Blazer before it too was shelved. We know now that Chevrolet would instead import the Isuzu Faster and rebrand it as the Chevrolet Luv starting in '72, effectively killing the independently designed Tempo. I have no relevant knowledge on the Luv, so I'm not sure why GM chose to use the Luv over the Tempo, but my only guess is it was related to cost. With that introduction, I'll get to the photos!

-July '67
During this time, GM started laying out potential profiles for what would become the Tempo concept. These early profiles depict it with more of a cab over design.

-July '70
Fast forward to 1970 and GM has finalized the design of the Tempo and has built several prototypes. The first prototype is the clay model, and the second white Tempo appears to be a preproduction ready fully functional truck.

That's all the information I have on the Chevrolet Tempo. If any of you could provide further insight that would be much appreciated!
-
Old 03-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #96
70c10-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
I am currently working on an update for the 73-87 development photos, and within my latest photo set for that, I also found the photos below and thought they would best be placed here given their dates.

Aside 4, Chevrolet Tempo

Before seeing the photos below, I had never heard of the Chevrolet Tempo concept. Even after seeing that it existed, I could not find any information on it to support these photos. With that said, the only information I have on this concept is what I've gathered from the photos themselves. It appears that after the shelved Blazer concept that GM was working on in '65, they moved on to a similarly sized light utility truck called the Tempo in '67. Although the Tempo was similar in size to the original Blazer concept, you can see that it was a completely unique design, sharing almost nothing with the original Blazer. By '70, GM was clearly as far along with the Tempo concept as they were the original Blazer before it too was shelved. We know now that Chevrolet would instead import the Isuzu Faster and rebrand it as the Chevrolet Luv starting in '72, effectively killing the independently designed Tempo. I have no relevant knowledge on the Luv, so I'm not sure why GM chose to use the Luv over the Tempo, but my only guess is it was related to cost. With that introduction, I'll get to the photos!

-July '67
During this time, GM started laying out potential profiles for what would become the Tempo concept. These early profiles depict it with more of a cab over design.

-July '70
Fast forward to 1970 and GM has finalized the design of the Tempo and has built several prototypes. The first prototype is the clay model, and the second white Tempo appears to be a preproduction ready fully functional truck.

That's all the information I have on the Chevrolet Tempo. If any of you could provide further insight that would be much appreciated!
The first drawing of the Tempo reminds me of the GMC motorhome with the back chopped off
Attached Images

70c10-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #97
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70c10-08 View Post
The first drawing of the Tempo reminds me of the GMC motorhome with the back chopped off
That's a nice example there.

A friend from our Pontiac club designed the interior of the GMC motor home (among other things).

K

http://www.deansgarage.com/2012/gm-d...-sebring-1957/
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Old 03-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #98
ctsandb

Quote:
Originally Posted by geunther View Post
Pretty good attention to detail. The "2" at the beginning of the license plate designates the City of Cheyenne (County Seat). And its a Cheyenne Super model.
Not to put too fine of a point on it but the "2" designates Laramie county of which Cheyenne is the county seat. And as an aside, the city of Laramie is not in Laramie county but is in the next county over, Albany. And to further confuse things, the Albany bar is not in Laramie but in Cheyenne.

1969 1/2 ton 2WD CST
1971 1/2 ton 2WD Shortbed
1977 Mercedes 450SL
1966 International Scout
ctsandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #99
Canadian694x4
Born To Lose Club

Location: Calgary, Alberta/Oxenden, Ontario, Great White North

Amazing Thread!!
1972 GMC K2500 Custom LWB Fleetside - Proud Owner For 2 Yrs - 1 of 571 Built & Sold In Canada! - 350 V8/SM465/NP205, 4” Rough Country Lift, 33” Interco TSL Thornbirds
2007.5 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD 4x4 - Proud Owner For 15 Yrs
- 6.6L V8 Duramax Diesel/Allison 1000, 2" Lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ's.
2008 Yamaha Raptor 700r - Proud Owner For 13 Yrs - ITP Mud Lites.
2015 John Deere 1025R - Proud Owner For 6 Yrs - 24HP Diesel/H120/54D/260B/SB1154.
Canadian694x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #100
hewittca

Extra Photos, GMC

-March 1970
Along with the Chevrolety Tempo photos, I found a few extra development photos of the C10 to fill in some gaps from the main photo sets. The first few photos pick up after the last photo for the development of the GMC. At the time I wrote that post, I did not have these photos and assumed GM did not propose any significant updates to the GMC for '71/'72. As it turns out, they did in fact prototype several grill updates for '71/'72, including one single headlight design like the Chevrolet.

-