The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2022, 07:37 PM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: 67/68 gray wheels and front?

Stock *2WDs for MYs '67/'68 had Argent Silver wheels -- which would look grey after 55 years or so. White was not stock on wheels... I re-engined my '68 C/10 in 1977 and -- while it was ''down'' -- spray-painted the OEM wheels in White, which I thought looked better with the Whiteface trim on my Stepside. [*Stock 4WDs got Black wheels.]

Someone at the Factory decided what accent colors went with certain body colors.

In the Model Year '67, only Grille Molding rings and the Headlight Bezels got the contrasting color. The Grille was the same solid body color.

With MY '68, the Grille itself got accent colored, and the above parts were a bright anodized aluminum. Plus more trim out of the same anodized aluminum covered the fender ''eyebrows'' and leading edge of the hood. [Some early '68s had no trim.]

GM Parts only ever carried the 1968 anodized aluminum trim pieces as replacements. [Their cross-section is a kind of Z-shape.]

The Factory 1967 hoop-like Grille Moldings were steel, painted in the accent color. The were a shallow D-shape in cross section. They were never available as replacements. Before repop vendor catalogs, it was ''hip'' to get the 1967 hoops chromed. So junkyards quickly became devoid of such pieces.

Color contrast schemes, as I remember were:
[BODY COLOR/trim color]
ORANGE/white
MED METALLIC BLUE/silver
BLACK/white
BLACK/orange
BLACK/silver
BLUE/white
RED/white
YELLOW/black
LT GREEN/white

That's not the total of all the combinations.
It's only what I can remember at 72.
Attached Images

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 08-22-2022 at 08:06 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote