The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2019, 10:20 PM   #151
MTCK

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Looks good! We are watching. I can’t believe that zip tie ended up in there. Nice catch.

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:54 PM   #152
cruizin01

Got some more time in the garage this week and weekend. Couple steps forward and a couple steps backwards.

While idling the truck was showing nearly 80psi at idle on the gauge on the sniper. UGH. So thats not gonna work. I guess maybe the extra voltage at the pump while running pushes more volume through the filter/regulator than it could handle. (compared to when I was testing it by applying 12v to the pump) I read during this that these filters typically dont work correctly on setups with fuel pumps bigger than 255lph.

So I went out and bought a legit regulator and filter to fix that. Only needed a couple fittings and was able to swap it out. I was able to adjust the fp down with no trouble. This new regulator is a lot quieter than the old filter regulator.

My other issue is fuel bleeding off. I added a 1 way valve from Jegs after the regulator but as soon as the fuel pump primes and shuts off the fuel pressure immediately bleeds off to zero. I took the check valve apart and everything appears to be functioning correctly. Im sorta out of ideas.

I did finish up cleaning the wiring in the engine compartment. Its not hidden in anyway but its loomed up as much as I can without going crazy.

I upgraded the firmware in the holley unit and the dash display for the hyperspark. Its running fine and learning. I want to go into the pc software and clean up the 2D tables on fueling and timing.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #153
cruizin01

Finally got some time today with a buddy to get some rear end work done. I had bought a TrueTrac and some 3.73's around xmas to install and finally did that today. My buddy has done several gear setups so we knocked it out today. Spent about 6 hrs in all.

I had purchased setup bearings for the pinion which made our lives a lot easier. We got it just as we wanted the 3rd attempt. I purchased a 20ton press from Harbor Freight to press the bearing on. Always need new tools right?

Anyways its in and running. Put about 10 miles on it for breakin. The truck didn't run so hot with the fresh tune and new intake, etc. I checked everything over and went back out and it seems to have learned a bit more. Ill get it back on the road soon and run some logs and go from there. I'm considering taking it to a tuner to have it do some real work on it.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:55 PM   #154
MTCK

Nice. You can never have too many tools.

2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
Old 03-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #155
cruizin01

Havent updated in a bit.

Put about 40-50 miles on the truck over the weekend. Still fighting the Holley EFI a bit. My learned table is all over the place. Sometimes its adding fuel, sometimes its subtracting it. Ill get there eventually.

The new diff and gears work well together though. I wouldn't have wanted to go any shorter on the gear. If I new I was keeping this engine/trans combo forever I would probably do a 3.42 next time. Or my exhaust is just a little to loud.

If I get the engine running the way I feel it should, I may go back and redo the exhaust down to 2.5". This 3" is just way too big.

I did realize I was getting different coolant temp readings between the Holley and the Dakota Digital. I realized the Holley was in the waterpump return and not reading what it should. My only option without removing the intake manifold was to add a spacer between the intake and the tstat housing. Found one from Summit that fit the bill.

Found a dry spot out near my house. Took some good pics with my new Galaxy S10. Nice to have a fish to do some more unique shots.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #156
MTCK

Looks great. I hope you get the EFI sorted. Having done one aftermarket swap (old Holley commander 950) and a factory swap, I’m sold on the stuff GM spent all those research dollars on. I’m sure it’s come a long way since the TBI system I had before.

2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
Old 03-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #157
cruizin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCK View Post
Looks great. I hope you get the EFI sorted. Having done one aftermarket swap (old Holley commander 950) and a factory swap, I’m sold on the stuff GM spent all those research dollars on. I’m sure it’s come a long way since the TBI system I had before.
Oh I have no doubt the factory stuff is the way to go. But I had a fresh engine with all new parts on/in it. So I couldn't rightfully junk it and go LS. But its an option now if I cant get it to where I want it. Im not gonna be unhappy with the driveability. Ive got too much into this truck not to be happy with it.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:49 PM   #158
cruizin01

Been too long since I posted an update. I continue to improve and replace several items to improve drivability on the truck.

I was able to solve most all of the issues as far as the Sniper EFI is concerned. I thought I figured it out by fixing an exhaust leak at the header collector near the o2 sensor. That unfortunately didn't solve really any of the issues. Surprisingly.

What ended up solving it was removing the darn progressive link I got from EFI source. I definitely had all my settings correct but for whatever reason it wreaked havoc on my setup. The truck runs 1k times better now. I still have some small adjustments, mostly in the cold start enrichment and some very low speed driving concerns but in general it runs well. Thank goodness.

So since installing the new gears I had a vibration on the freeway through the truck. It immediately appeared to be a driveshaft vibration because that only makes sense. So I went back through my setup and realized my driveline angles were all off. My engine and trans angle was too far down. I had to raise the tailshaft which involved reworking the trans crossmember and the exhaust. I ended up adding a flexpipe to each downpipe to help cut down on vibrations in the truck as well.

Then I had to go through and rework the pinion angle on the rear end. I ended up not using the flip kit the way it was originally intended and getting the spring pad where I wanted it and welding it in place. My trans and rear end are now parallel but the unjoint angles aren't ideal but I do not have any vibrations. This all took a lot of work to get ironed out. Everything small thing on this truck seems to affect 3 other things.

Over the past couple weeks as everything in the truck gets broken in including the rear springs, etc Im having issues with the axle hitting the frame under short quick bumps. This is pretty uncomfortable if you've never experienced this. The shocks goes right up your neck.

So I ordered up a C notch kit to install. I just went with a bolt in due to each of install. I dont imagine my welding one in place would be any stronger than a bolted unit. I decided to try and do this without removing the bed. I did just loosen the rear bolts to raise it just enough to slide the bracket in. The whole just took quite a bit of time to get everything cut, test fit, painted, installed, painted again. Overall Im happy with the outcome. I just finished tonight so I havent driven it yet. I may have issues with the exhaust hitting the axle as thats now closer than the frame to the axle. I may have to mod that next.

And just for kicks.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:50 PM   #159
cable666guy

Just read your entire post. Really nice truck !! You have a lot of determination and perseverance, that's for sure !!
cable666guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #160
cruizin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cable666guy View Post
Just read your entire post. Really nice truck !! You have a lot of determination and perseverance, that's for sure !!
Hey I appreciate that.

And its never done, I can't leave well enough alone.

I have a few updates Ill try and post at some point soon.

But for now Ill leave this.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #161
cruizin01

Been a while since I've updated...

This summer I was able to put nearly 1k miles on the truck and after quite a few alternations to the tuning on the Sniper, the 396 was running pretty well. I continue to fight some small pre-warm up drive-ability stuff but overall it drives great.

But.... its slow... like not 250ci inline 6 slow but its the slowest thing in my small group of cars. It'll power brake a burnout but its pretty lethargic outside of that. Its probably around 350hp maybe? It really needs a converter but I didn't want to buy one knowing it still wasn't gonna satisfy my power craving.

Anyway, I decided to follow the hurd and build a turbo LS. I found a L33 locally for $700 with low'ish miles this summer so I went ahead and grabbed it. The L33 is an all aluminum 5.3 with flat top pistons and 799 heads. Originally rated at 310hp. This is a gen3 engine but a few guys mentioned they have the better rods maybe? Im not certain.

These past couple weeks I tore the accessories, etc off of it to get started. I flipped the manifolds just to get an idea whether I wanted to use them or buy a turbo manifold. Im not certain one way or another yet.

This is a "budget" engine build. Im just swapping the cam and valve springs and leaving everything else internally stock. Lifters probably would have been a good idea but I didn't want to pull the heads.

I order a Summit Stg2 turbo cam kit that came with TF valve springs and new valve seals. I checked the pushrod length which was good, so I reinstalled the stockers.

Since I dont have access to a TIG, I ordered a front cover with the turbo drain installed already. I have a new balancer coming (cheap) and replaced the front and rear cover, rear main seal, valley cover and lower oil pan gasket.

I hate the look of the truck intake manifold so I found these knock off of a knock off dorman intake. Im gonna shave most of the mounts, etc off the top to try and clean it up some. I bought some fuel rails to plumb a return system and a mechanical throttle to work with the Holley Terminator.

Im still in process of cleaning up the rest of the engine. I think Ill leave the block and heads alone after cleaning and maybe just paint the valve covers and accessories. I ordered a camaro water pump which moves the outlet towards the drivers side so I dont have to run a big ugly hose across the front of the truck.

Im hoping the rest of the build will come together this winter. I need to pull the bbc and the sniper and try and get it sold to fund some more turbo parts.

The goal is like 500-550 whp on pump gas.

The basics are
-VS 78/75
-80 lb snaker eaters
-budget 80e converter
-Holley Terminator X
-A/W intercooler so i dont have to hack up the front grille, etc.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:53 AM   #162
naphtali5725

nice build thread, excellent work!!

Disabled Veteran
82nd Airborne Division
Operations: Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and Uphold Democracy
naphtali5725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:46 AM   #163
LT7A

This has been quite the long haul for you. Impressive work. Glad I got the chance to get caught up on it. I will be interested to follow along as you turbo the LS motor and install it.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #164
cruizin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by naphtali5725 View Post
nice build thread, excellent work!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
This has been quite the long haul for you. Impressive work. Glad I got the chance to get caught up on it. I will be interested to follow along as you turbo the LS motor and install it.
Thanks guys.

Got the balancer installed. I got the torque angle on the new bolt pretty darn close. I was worried about pulling the engine over on the stand..

I hacked away at all the extra stuff on the intake I didn't need. This was after I rough cut everything. I did sand it mostly smooth. I should have spent a little more time sanding off my grinding marks but it looks fine for this build.

Spent some time cleaning and painting all the accessories and hardware, etc.

I painted the intake, valve covers and throttle body to match.

Got most of the accessory drive stuff mounted. I realized I need a camaro tensioner to work with the wp so I ordered that. I decided to order a new ps pump as mine was severely corroded.

eBay fuel rails and Snake Eater Performance 80lb injectors installed.

Im pretty happy with how the motor looks. Doesn't look new but a vast improvement over the wait it looked when I got it.

Pretty close to being ready to pull the engine from the truck so I can get this sat in place. I drove the truck yesterday maybe for the last time with the current setup. Ill post more in the coming weeks.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #165
cruizin01

Not too much to note this week.

I got the new p/s pump and belt tensioner installed. Belt I had was a bit too short so I had to order another one.

I moved it over to my main garage so I can try and weld some nuts onto the broken exhaust studs to get them out.

DONT ever try and move an engine on a stand across the yard.. It does't roll...lol

I think at this point Ill start removing pieces and parts from engine in the truck. Ill have to remove the hood which Id rather not do but I dont have a choice. I need to order the new mounts and probably the torque converter for now to be able to get the 5.3 bolted in.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #166
MalibuSSwagon

When I did my swap I didn't remove the hood but I did remove the rad support and front bumper. made things alot easier.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #167
cruizin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post
When I did my swap I didn't remove the hood but I did remove the rad support and front bumper. made things alot easier.
Oh awesome. Id much rather do that even if it takes a little longer. Will make this mostly one man operation a little more doable. Thx.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:58 AM   #168
cruizin01

I installed the MAP sensor in the back of the intake. It didn't fit in the hole nor did the mounting tab fit correct. So I opened up the hole and hacked off the tab and bolted it in place.

The IAT sensor I decided to use the... evap hole? So I shaved the sensor down and siliconed it in place with a hammer. Hope it doesn't rocket out under boost.

Received payment for the BBC with all the accessories this week. The guy is in Wyoming so Ill to ship it, which sorta sucks but he paid asking price plus my time to crate and the shipping of it.

I have it ready to pull except for the trans mount and driveshaft. I labeled all the Holley parts so it should be a pretty simple install for him in his K30.

I went ahead and ordered the majority of all the parts for the rest of the build. Sans the VS racing stuff. Still waiting to see if they do a BF sale for the WG and BOV. The turbo is already 10% off.

I received my turbo manifold last night so I hung it just to see how it looks. The casting is a little rough so I need to clean it a bit. Im pretty happy with it for $250. Im hoping I can have someone help me weld a wastegate flange to it without any problems.

I ordered a Holley DS manifold so I can work on getting my crossover built once I swap the trans over. I did order a converter from a shop out of Chicago. Its a budget converter that some Sloppy guys have used with success. Should be perfectly fine for street use. Looking forward to getting this mounted in the truck so I can start plumbing.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #169
cruizin01

I got the big block pulled last weekend and transported to work. I had a friend with a fedex engine pallet so I snagged that and got it crated down. It should be picked up today and headed off to WY. I dont plan on having any regrets selling it.

My VSRacing 7875 came in last night. Its just their gen1 billet wheel unit. For $500 it should be plenty for what Im doing. Its pretty compact as well. Im considering researching painting the cold side black.. Not sure how feasible that is. I also got my Tejas engine mounts and a few other nick nacks.

I hope this weekend I can put the new torque converter in and bolt the 80e to the engine so I can work on building a crossover pipe.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #170
ElReeso

With that new engine and Turbo I wouldn´t have regrets selling a Big block haha
ElReeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #171
cruizin01

Spent most of yesterday in the garage on the truck. Didn't get nearly as much done as I had hoped.

My goal was to bolt the trans up to the engine so I could work on building the crossover pipe. I didn't even think about whether there would be an issue with the flexplate, etc with the new torque converter and transmission. Come to find out the ls flexplate that was on the engine was just a 3 bolt. And to mount the 4l80e you need to space it rearward. So I researched around and found out that Advance carries the correct setup. And its only $60. So I hopped in the car and ran down to the nearest store that carried it.

A comparison of the original converter to the new one. About half the weight it seemed. I hope it works decent. Ive never had anything with an upgraded converter so Im not sure what to expect...

Anyway so I had nearly a .25" gap between the converter and the flexplate when the trans was bolted up. Everything I read says you want roughly an .125". Ugh. So Jegs sells some spacers so I ran over there. I didn't really have any washers thick enough and I need 6 of the same.

Anyway so its bolted together now. A pretty big pain to do by yourself.

I test fit the turbo supply line and mounted the dakota digital sender. I guess I should have checked whether the holley has an oil sensor or not. I dont think it does.

I spray bombed the Tejas engine mounts and bolted them up.

Worked on making up the turbo oil drain. At first I didnt think the timing cover location was going to work. After massaging the fitting a bit it clears the belts fine and fits up to the turbo with no issues. I hope it drains well enough. Its a -10 line so..

My next goal is to build the crossover so I can get the engine and trans shoved in the truck. Hopefully this week/weekend.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #172
cruizin01

Spent a couple hours in the garage last night working on the crossover. I forgot the challenge associated with exhaust tubing when you dont really know what your doing and don't do it often. It didn't turn out half bad though.

I had been wanting a cold saw to replace my junky abrasive saw. I kept my eye on amazon and found a "used" one for $160. It was brand new just missing the original box. Its super slick. Like freaking awesome! It cuts this exhaust tubing like a hot knife through butter. No/minimal sparks and just tears through it like nothing. Such a nice tool. I do wish you could adjust the fence a little more quickly but Ill take what I can get for the price.

Anyway, just a couple pics of the crossover. Its 2-1/4 tubing adapted up to 2-1/2 on the passenger side to meet up with the manifold.

I cleaned out the pipe the best I could before welding the 2 halves together. Im a bit nervous about anything small metal pieces getting into the turbo so I ordered a metal brush to try and clean it up. I still have to weld the wastegate flange on but Ill wait until its in the truck so I can make sure the location is good. And then Ill wrap it.

I think the engine is ready to go in the trunk now. Maybe this weekend..
Old 12-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #173
wixthedog

Excellent progress!
1979 C20 RCLB - 350 - TH350 Auto
wixthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #174
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Nice work. Who's log manifold are you using for the turbo?

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:45 PM   #175
Mike W.

Quote:
I hate the look of the truck intake manifold so I found these knock off of a knock off dorman intake. Im gonna shave most of the mounts, etc off the top to try and clean it up some. I bought some fuel rails to plumb a return system and a mechanical throttle to work with the Holley Terminator.
I'm working on a similar build and am about to pull the trigger on the Holley Terminator as well. I am thinking about going with the X Max due to the transmission control and DBW capability as I bought my 5.3 with the pedal assembly from the same truck. What made you decide to go with the standard terminator and convert to mechanical throttle body?