The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
gregbr
Senoir Member

Help- Can't get the glove box open

It's my 2 year old ground up restoration truck, the 70 GMC shortbed factory 402. During the resto, I put in a brand new glove box latch (non locking). Now pushing the latch button only hurts your thumb, button does not move. Is there a way to get it open?? Keep in mind the nice paint & the plastic glove box liner that came with the vintage air kit. Thanks

70 GMC Restoration Pictures
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...00&ppuser=4424
gregbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: Help- Can't get the glove box open

Can you push in slightly on the door and try to push the botton, maybe take some pressure off the latch??

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
sir_talk_alot

Well, a bfh is a bit overkill, so use a can of pb blaster and a sfh.
Posted via Mobile Device

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
See if you can turn the button clockwise with your fingers. Even though these are non locking latches, if the button is inserted into the housing incorrectly at the factory they will be in the locked position. Would the lock bolt retract when you pushed the button before you installed it?

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
gregbr
Senoir Member

Thanks for the advice. Have tried pushing on the door & using spary lube, no help. Will try turning the button. Thanks again.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbr View Post
Thanks for the advice. Have tried pushing on the door & using spary lube, no help. Will try turning the button. Thanks again.
If I remember correctly the button pushes on a slanted part of the spring loaded latch. I don't think you can turn the button though.

With the glove door open see if you can assist it by pushing the button at the same time you push on the latch piece. If the latch retracts but won't retract when using the button by itself you have a very rough or uneven slanted surface on the spring loaded latch or spring is too stiff. Try lubing it and working it up to see if it will loosen up.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
If I remember correctly the button pushes on a slanted part of the spring loaded latch. I don't think you can turn the button though.

With the glove door open see if you can assist it by pushing the button at the same time you push on the latch piece. If the latch retracts but won't retract when using the button by itself you have a very rough or uneven slanted surface on the spring loaded latch or spring is too stiff. Try lubing it and working it up to see if it will loosen up.

The button pushes a pivot piece or "cam". The cam then retracts the latch (lock bolt). There is a small spring loaded wafer located in the push button that normally keeps it from turning. There are two positions that the push button can be inserted into the housing, locked and unlocked. If it was put together wrong at the factory you would be able to push the lock bolt down and insert it into the glove box door and then shut the door but you would not be able to push the button to unlatch it.

The problem is, he can't get the glove box door open.

There is no easy way to get it open without some kind of damage to either the lock, door or liner...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 07-11-2012 at 03:57 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
The button pushes a pivot piece or "cam". The cam then retracts the latch (lock bolt). ...
The problem is, he can't get the glove box door open.

There is no easy way to get it open without some kind of damage to either the lock, door or liner... LockDoc
I remember it was a 50's car that my dad had. Memory is faded but I seem to recall a ramp of some sort. Pushing on it moved the slide back and the spring restored it. Maybe I dreamed it.

"can't get the glove box door open."

I think if that's the case, I would cut the liner out and with a small flash light and screwdriver remove the latch asm on the door or the dash. It's would be the least destructive and can be easily replaced.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
gregbr
Senoir Member

Will mess with it this weekend and see what happens. After I installed the new latch on the freshly painted door, it worked for about six months, then one day....nothing.

Thanks, Will update soon.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
CC69Rat

Little stuff like that happens to me all the time... I prob would have already taken a crow bar to it.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
gregbr
Senoir Member

No luck with pushing, turning or sorta beating on the latch. Will dig into it more when it cools off outside.