The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
stich626
Account Suspended

sema watch

Washington, D.C. - AP. Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY) held a press conference today in the Capitol's rotunda and stated that he is in the process of drafting a bill that will create a federal tax on all collector, antique, historic, special interest, hot rods and race cars. "This country is operating at a huge budget deficit," said Senator Schumer, "thanks to the previous administration's failure to seek new sources of revenue. We can no longer continue to just raise the taxes we already have. We are reaching the point of diminishing returns. We must find new sources of revenue. "There are more than one million collector cars in this country,"said Schumer, "and many of them are unregistered and untaxed. These vehicles represent sometimes sizeable assets which often appreciate from sale to sale. Much of these capital gains remain untaxed. It's about time these collectors—all of whom are rich—begin to pay their fair share. I've never heard of a poor person owning a Corvette, Ferrari, Deusenberg or Cobra." Citing the results of this year's automobile auctions in Scottsdale, Arizona as an example,where reported sales were in the tens of millions of dollars, Schumer said, "We're not talking about rusty old clunkers, here. Some of these cars represent the pinnacle of automotive history. Collectors who buy and sell them often do so privately. Some transactions are in cash and others include trades. All of these are under the Internal Revenue Service's radar. Well, that will soon end."Each state has different laws and requirements for collector cars. Those which tax them as personal property often use outdated values. An owner can pay taxes on a car the state determines is worth $5,000 and then turn around and sell it for $100,000 or more. Until now, all of this has been the purview of each state. Schumer's law will sidestep all state laws by levying a federal tax in addition to anything the individual states do. This new federal tax will be similar to the present federal tax on gasoline, which is in addition to whatever a state assesses. Part of the Schumer law includes the IRS opening up a special department to deal with collector cars. Values will be calculated annually and owners will be required to list all cars they own on their 1040 tax form. Because not all vehicles are registered, and thus may not be known to the individual states' motor vehicles departments—especially race cars which are not driven on public roads—the IRS will make use of the existing network of individual collector car enthusiast organizations across the country. Many of these car clubs maintain accurate registries which detail each car by its vehicle identification number and present or last known owner and their location. Assembling an all-inclusive federal database in conjunction with these registries will be one of the first steps in implementing the new law. Once the database of owners is cross-referenced with an annual index of current collector car values, every collector or race car in the country can be taxed at a fair rate. Initially, Schumer says, it will be 10% but that would rise depending on the type of car, number produced and condition. "Collectors are willing to pay more for certain cars," said Schumer, "because of their history or the small number that were produced. These factors increase a vehicle's worth to buyers, so why should these cars not be taxed at a higher rate? It's no different than our current progressive income tax rate." It is estimated that an annual 10% tax on all collector cars presently owned by American taxpayers—at their prevailing market value—would be more than $250,000,000. In four years the coffers of the federal government could be fattened by a billion dollars. "That's only a conservative estimate," said Schumer. "Nobody knows exactly how many collector cars are out there. But by this time next year, WE will know. Owners of these cars will finally have to pay up.Their free ride—on the backs of the poor—is over."
Old 04-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Rochlow

Re: sema watch

Maybe he should worry about passing the current budget!!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
srvivor71

Schumer (my f'ing Senator) is a son of a *****. He is a radically left a-hole who is against any traditional values. He is anti-gun, pro tax and I'm not one bit surprised he is making an assault on car collectors now. Why don't they make a special tax for those very wealthy pigs that make their incomes by breaking the backs of hard working taxpayers.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
TheManInBlack

Thanks, I am now pissed off.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

I'm a car collector and I'm far from rich. So, I don't know where he got that assumption from. Besides, why doesn't he give back some of that money all the politicians are getting from kickbacks and high oil and gas prices.

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280
Old 04-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
cdowns

politics against board rules
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
Old 04-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
jablack
Classic Chevy Recycler

The government has taxed us enough. I have to live on a budget, so should they. I can't spend all my money then go steel it from someone else. If I did, I would be called a criminal.

How many nice cars do you have senator? Are you paying your taxes?

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
1970 Chevrolet C50
1979 Chevrolet C30

Need another 67 or 68 soon...
Old 04-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
politics against board rules
so this board doesn't support SEMA

IF NOT SORRY i POSTED IT
Old 04-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
stich626
Account Suspended

WAS JUST INFORMED THAT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man, this would really suck...IF IT WERE TRUE.

The Shelby American Automobile Club posted a "fake" NY Times dated 3/28 on their site on...you guessed it, 4/1.

It is all an April Fool's Joke.

http://www.saac.com/files/newsletter...s-04-01-11.pdf
Old 04-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
Rochlow

I think we should all be fired up about this as it affects every single person on this board! I'm pretty sure most of the vehicles on this site are considered collectable.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
WayneE

Sounds like an April Fools joke. A quick google check shows most sites publishing the story on 04.01.2011.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
96blazr

Rick

This WAS a April fools joke that was played on ALOT of Car/Truck owners. His name is Rick Kopec and he's a.......well......Let's just say: Not a very nice person.
He emailed Fred, who is a member of a LARGE Car Club Council and, in turn, Fred sent it out to EVERYONE in the State (Virginia). Needless to say, absolutely no one found it funny and below you can read Little Ricky's response when Fred let him know he didn't apperciate what he did. As you can see Ricks idea of humor isn't humorious at all.
So if you'd care to let Rick know what you think about his so-called "humor", please email him using email addy listed below.
I did.

"This is what the jerk who did the April Fool's car tax sent me. I have his email below if you'd like to communicate with him.

Fred

Fred:

Please get back to me when you find your sense of humor.

Sorry to see that you live such a glum and lugubrious life.

Rick Kopec

saac@saac.com"

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
Old 04-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #13
WayneE

It was pretty obvious... and a good lesson, don't take **** so seriously.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
augie
Waiting for Paul to Open Safe

Real or not, as previously stated, political discussions are against site rules. Closing thread.
Closed Thread