The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
clemsonteg

Heat sucks

So the heat in my 70 C10 sucks. Always has. So far, I have replaced the thermostat, radiator, and all the hoses. Both hoses on the heater core are hot. I tried flushing the heater core with water and I didn't see any debris. I had the heater box off a few months ago and I cleaned out all of the leaves before I re-installed everything. I also checked that the blend door is opening and closing as it should.

I am sort of out of ideas. The only item I can think of would be a partially blocked heater core. Can anyone suggest flushing solutions/techniques other than water?
clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
boynton

Re: Heat sucks

The only thing left in the equation is the heater core. if you plan on keeping the truck for a while, I would just cough up the extra money to buy a new heater core rather than a temporary fix. If your heater core is that clogged up, it may start rusting out soon (or it already has) and that will be a problem in the future.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584499
1970 SWB One Owner Step Side 6.0 LY6/6L90
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617630 Junkyard's 1971 short wide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...86#post7531186
boynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
clemsonteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by boynton View Post
The only thing left in the equation is the heater core. if you plan on keeping the truck for a while, I would just cough up the extra money to buy a new heater core rather than a temporary fix. If your heater core is that clogged up, it may start rusting out soon (or it already has) and that will be a problem in the future.
Considered that, but I am hoping to do an aftermarket AC/heat system later this spring. I was hoping for a solution in the meantime so I can still cruise the truck for the next few months
Old 02-17-2015, 07:04 PM   #4
Lee H

How do you have the hoses routed? Intake to bottom of core, top of core to radiator or water pump.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
clemsonteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
How do you have the hoses routed? Intake to bottom of core, top of core to radiator or water pump.
I sure do. Intake below the thermostat goes to the bottom, top goes to the water pump
Old 02-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
Lee H

Just checking, I've seen lots of pictures lately with the heater hoses routed the opposite way.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:24 PM   #7
clemsonteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Just checking, I've seen lots of pictures lately with the heater hoses routed the opposite way.
I appreciate the input. It was one of the items on my list and I came close to installing the heater core upside down when I had everything apart last year
Old 02-17-2015, 07:56 PM   #8
JimKshortstep4x4

Have you felt the hoses to see if the coolant going to the heater core is hot? Also, if your system is low, the coolant circulating to the heater core is the first to stop moving.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:03 PM   #9
EARNHARDT#3

Heater cores are only like $30.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:03 PM   #10
clemsonteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKshortstep4x4 View Post
Have you felt the hoses to see if the coolant going to the heater core is hot? Also, if your system is low, the coolant circulating to the heater core is the first to stop moving.

Jim
Hoses in and out are both hot to the touch. The heat is mildly warm when stopped for a period of time. Once the truck is moving the air cools off again. I have topped off the coolant and ran the truck several times without the radiator cap to burp the system. The minimal heat when stopped sort of makes me think it's a partially clogged heater core
Old 02-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #11
72MARIO

If you think your heat sucks now just wait till you swap a aftermarket ac system. The old air heat ac system was so bad my suburban got parked in September this year !
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:39 PM   #12
1972BlueC20

I know this isn't your problem, but in case others are having heater problems and see this thread......i had a new engine installed recently and the mechanic ran my hoses from radiator to core, then from core to water pump.

My heater wouldn't get over about 70 degrees this way.

I plugged the radiator port and routed from the core to the intake and from the water pump to the core as described above, and this thing is scolding hot now!!!

Heater cores aren't hard to change but just time consuming.

If heater only truck, unbolt the passenger side hood hinge bolts, unbolt the passenger side fender well...let rest on tire....this will gain you access to the lower bolts on the heater box...unless your bottom bolts are already missing from a previous replacement. Then reverse to put back together.

I went ahead and replaced my blower motor and fan blade wheel and resistor while I was in there just for good measure....it was all relatively cheap and just wanted to get it all done while I was fooling with it.

It also gave me a chance to clean all the debris out of the heater box and I installed some new gaskets for the heater box.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #13
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BlueC20 View Post
I know this isn't your problem, but in case others are having heater problems and see this thread......i had a new engine installed recently and the mechanic ran my hoses from radiator to core, then from core to water pump.

My heater wouldn't get over about 70 degrees this way.

I plugged the radiator port and routed from the core to the intake and from the water pump to the core as described above, and this thing is scolding hot now!!!

Heater cores aren't hard to change but just time consuming.

If heater only truck, unbolt the passenger side hood hinge bolts, unbolt the passenger side fender well...let rest on tire....this will gain you access to the lower bolts on the heater box...unless your bottom bolts are already missing from a previous replacement. Then reverse to put back together.

I went ahead and replaced my blower motor and fan blade wheel and resistor while I was in there just for good measure....it was all relatively cheap and just wanted to get it all done while I was fooling with it.

It also gave me a chance to clean all the debris out of the heater box and I installed some new gaskets for the heater box.
Darn, I have to do a heater core on mine...I didn't realize some of the bolts weren't easily accessible.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:00 PM   #14
clemsonteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNHARDT#3 View Post
Darn, I have to do a heater core on mine...I didn't realize some of the bolts weren't easily accessible.
Hence why a $30 part isn't what is preventing me from changing it. Also, I have heard the repops have poor fitment at best
Old 02-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #15
1972BlueC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonteg View Post
Hence why a $30 part isn't what is preventing me from changing it. Also, I have heard the repops have poor fitment at best
I normally try to get repop everything, but I heard this too. I bought a heater core from AutoZone for like $30....it was a Murray brand I think. Fit great and works great. Classic parts repop version was on backorder when I needed one so I took the chance with AutoZone. So far so good.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:12 PM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Heat sucks

Couple of things. When you flushed it did you get a good stream out as you put in, if so the core isn't stoped up. It sounds like you not circulating the coolant to me. the incoming hose should be hotter than the out hose because of the fan blowing over the coils which is pulling the heat out of the water so if both hoses feel the same then something isn't flowing right.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:30 PM   #17
no1udknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Couple of things. When you flushed it did you get a good stream out as you put in, if so the core isn't stoped up. It sounds like you not circulating the coolant to me. the incoming hose should be hotter than the out hose because of the fan blowing over the coils which is pulling the heat out of the water so if both hoses feel the same then something isn't flowing right.
I was thinking that too. Maybe take the hoses off the end of the core and put them in a bucket and check out the flow. Perhaps you are getting positive flow from both hoses and it is stalemating. Even though the hoses are getting warm, it could just be through conductivity of the water.
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:51 PM   #18
clemsonteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Thanks Andy. It didn't appear to have too much restriction, but I figured that if I only had a few channels open that I may still have good flow, but not enough surface area to create good heat.

The only other item I could think of would be that maybe the core is being pressurized on both sides with a wrong connection.

Here are my connections. First photo is a 5/8" hose going from the intake to the bottom of the heater core. The second photo is a 3/4" hose traveling from the top of the heater core to the water pump. Is that the correct connection on the water pump?

Old 02-18-2015, 12:10 AM   #19
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Heat sucks

I'm not going to say for sure but the water pump should be to the bottom of heater core and top should be to intake. This way you insure you pump out the air in the heater core. Plus your pumping the water through the heater not just letting it flow through it. I'v always had AC on the ones I worked on.
This is how I would do it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:56 AM   #20
boynton

part of the problem may not be the water flow in through your heater core but rather the air flowing through it. If the heater core is stopped up on the outside and air is flowing around it rather than through it this would also cause your problem. This is also a common problem with home heating/ac units. Debris such as dirt/hair will clog up the fins over time causing air to not be pulled through the core but around it. I know they make a spray to clean the debris but you would still have to remove it and if you go that far you might as well replace it. One solution might be to try to get an air blower on the core and blow the dirt off of it.

Good luck!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584499
1970 SWB One Owner Step Side 6.0 LY6/6L90
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617630 Junkyard's 1971 short wide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...86#post7531186
boynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:05 AM   #21
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: Heat sucks

Quote:
part of the problem may not be the water flow in through your heater core but rather the air flowing through it. If the heater core is stopped up on the outside and air is flowing around it rather than through it this would also cause your problem. This is also a common problem with home heating/ac units. Debris such as dirt/hair will clog up the fins over time causing air to not be pulled through the core but around it. I know they make a spray to clean the debris but you would still have to remove it and if you go that far you might as well replace it. One solution might be to try to get an air blower on the core and blow the dirt off of it.

Good luck!
Very good point. If the truck has the orignal heater box and you have never taken it a part would be a good time to and clean it out good. I don't see any reason to buy a new heater core though just because, but depending on how it looked when you take it out.
My first 67 truck burnt to the ground after I boought it. I bought that spring no problem, that fall the first time I drove the truck with the heater on it caught on fire from all the pine needles inside the box.
Just a note. A non AC heater box is a easy job compared to a AC box!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-18-2015, 02:10 AM   #22
Ironangel

Quote:

Good luck!
+1...Take the outer box off and clean things up, you'll be surprised at what's clogging the fins...Make sure the cable operated interior doors (air flaps) are opening and closing properly as well...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:40 AM   #23
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonteg View Post
Hoses in and out are both hot to the touch. The heat is mildly warm when stopped for a period of time. Once the truck is moving the air cools off again. I have topped off the coolant and ran the truck several times without the radiator cap to burp the system. The minimal heat when stopped sort of makes me think it's a partially clogged heater core
I'm thinking that the inlet heater hose should be hotter than the outlet, during heater fan operation.

If it isn't, then the core must not be transferring heat.

Get a new core, and only use coolant that has no tap water in it (distilled only). If you have tap water in the system now, drain it all and that includes draining the block (both drain plugs under the exhaust manifolds)(install radiator pet-cocks if you are keeping it). If you need new coolant, install the 50/50 pre-mix to assure you get mineral free coolant.

Never put tap water in your system.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #24
clemsonteg

I had the box off last year and I cleaned all of the debris out of the box and put new seals on. Based on all of the stuff that came out of the box, I thought for sure that was the reason the heat didn't work. I even blew between the fins with compressed air. Maybe I didn't get it all.

Andy, I thought the intake went to the bottom to fill the core up and push air out of the top?
Old 02-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #25
Longhorn 70

There may be one more thing. Do you have a heater control valve installed? There are 2 different types. One made for our trucks that vacuum closes the valve and the other made for different years and cars where vacuum opens the valve.

If you have a valve that doesn't allow flow through, the hoses will still get hot but the core won't. If you have a valve in place, try bypassing it by placing a short section of pipe in the hose where the valve is.

If you DON'T have a valve, nevermind.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote