The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Idea For Small Camper

I found this home made camper for sale and think it's pretty neat, and the pictures make a great guide to building one. All year trucks can run a camper but, the 67-72s were so big on the camper market and so much interest in campers in this group, I wanted to share this here. Some changes could be made for personal preference. Could be made bigger/smaller. I'd make the front rounded and other changes to make it look better. One could be made to look like the old aluminum originals. I have ideas for lighter custom camper designs I'd like to build, but something like this can be done pretty quick and pretty cheap. On/off weight would be a consideration. Anyway, what do you think? Getting an ideas?

https://charleston.craigslist.org/rv...386996603.html

https://images.craigslist.org/00e0e_...N_1200x900.jpg

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 11-26-2017 at 10:20 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
muley

Re: Idea For Small Camper

Sure. The sky is the limit on how you customize it. 40+ years ago these were everywhere where I live. Several different brands made them and most everyone removed the back windows and had a boot installed so you could slide off the bed right into the diver seat. My uncle had one because he was always fishing somewhere. Every rodeo guy I knew had a variation of this. It was their home 8 months a year. These folks never took it off the pickup.
WORK : A necessary evil that finances
what I really like to do.
muley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
flashed

I finally scored an aluminum topper for my K10 longbed yesterday for free just to get it out of the Ladys yard .It took several hours to clean as it had sat under a pine tree but its quite nice .I had been looking for one for a while .I stopped by and offered her a $100 for it and she said no ,just get it out of my yard for free . Now Im on the hunt for another one for my buddy's truck.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I finally scored an aluminum topper for my K10 longbed yesterday for free just to get it out of the Ladys yard .It took several hours to clean as it had sat under a pine tree but its quite nice .I had been looking for one for a while .I stopped by and offered her a $100 for it and she said no ,just get it out of my yard for free . Now Im on the hunt for another one for my buddy's truck.
When you get a chance, post a picture. I love those heavy old aluminum shells.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I cut out a set of those louvered/cranking side windows out of a 68 GMC canopy years ago. They were longer than most sets I had ever seen. Thought they would look good if I ever built (haha) a canopy some day.

I think Glen L the boat plans company, has plans you can buy to build canopy's to campers somewhere on their web site.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

It's something I haven't seen done in a long time. I'd like to fnd a light aluminum one for on and off. But I might build something

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:53 PM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I have a light aluminum one Ive had forever. Got a few dings in it. One broken side window ... stupid lawn mower. Its sitting on a 67 box that I have full of misc parts. Probably worth fixing and modifying someday.

I have the large heavy fiberglass one that came on my GMC when I got it. Not my favorite design by far, but it suits its purpose when its called for.

Here is the link for the do it yourselfers .... https://www.glen-l.com/campers/glenlrv.html