The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
PA-IndianRider

Question Another "how big a Tire will Fit Question"

Got a '70 Chevy - C10 - short wheelbase Stepside.... currently it has 8" rally wheels with G60 Mickey Thompson Tires..... still got PLENTY of room..... plus I would NOT hesitate to cut into the bed and modify it for bigger tires/wheels.

So if anybody has done this... what's the BIGGEST tire & wheel combo I can use??

Thanks.... John
"Gasser/Altered Drag Race Hot Rod"
Where were You in '62 ?
PA-IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
Ont67shortbox

Re: Another "how big a Tire will Fit Question"

I don't have a stepside ,but I do have stock rear length and tubs with coil springs and trailing arms and I run a 12 inch rim with 31x13x15s on a SB fleet side,with 8 inch backspacing no problem

Last edited by Ont67shortbox; 04-17-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Ont67shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
ProStreet68SB
The Engine Whisperer

on my dads fleet, the bed was cut and mini tubbed with chevelle springs or something of that sort (also looks alot like a front spring from the truck) but on a 15in wide wheel we have a 18.5" wide tire. thats on a stock width rearend. so the wheel has a ton of offset. hope that helps.
ProStreet68SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:17 AM   #4
PA-IndianRider

Like I said before... don't mind cutting & tubbing the bed.... BUT... don't want to shorten the rear end either.
Where were You in '62 ?
Old 04-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
ProStreet68SB
The Engine Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-IndianRider View Post
Like I said before... don't mind cutting & tubbing the bed.... BUT... don't want to shorten the rear end either.
thats the beauty of my dads truck, it's a stock width rearend, with the wheels being cut and widen to 15". So no narrowing needed.
ProStreet68SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
PA-IndianRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreet68SB View Post
thats the beauty of my dads truck, it's a stock width rearend, with the wheels being cut and widen to 15". So no narrowing needed.
So with this in mind it appears that it would not be a problem to use a 12 - 14" rim & tire combo without being concerned about having to have the rearend narrowed.

Swap meets here I come....

Thanks....
Where were You in '62 ?
Old 04-18-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
Ont67shortbox

I didn't go with a 14 inch rim because I was concerned the tires may rub on the inside of the fender,may be different with a step side,stuck with 12,but with an 8 inch backspace I have plenty of clearance all around,the tread width is 13 1/2 inches ,it has never been an issue even with the tire growth,I didn't want to narrow mine either,but going BBC and may need to beef the rear or go with a 9",I will narrow it then.Hope this helps Brian
Old 04-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
PA-IndianRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ont67shortbox View Post
I didn't go with a 14 inch rim because I was concerned the tires may rub on the inside of the fender,may be different with a step side,stuck with 12,but with an 8 inch backspace I have plenty of clearance all around,the tread width is 13 1/2 inches ,it Hope this helps Brian
Thanks everyone.... never thought you'd be able to get that kind of tire/wheel combo under a C10. Guess I'm just used to the "always a hassle" with wheels/tires on cars.

I'll be on the look out for 12 - 14" rims ..... need 5" bolt pattern .... which will make it a bit hard to find for most used wheels are from "cars" (4 3/4") but then looking is 1/2 the fun of going to "swap meets" anyway. If worse comes worse I'll just buy "new ones" if I have to.

It's a beautiful day here in Pittsburgh.... upper 70's .... finally.... it's been a LONG Winter. Hooking up my "new compressor in the workshop.... thanks again.
Where were You in '62 ?
Old 05-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
PA-IndianRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-IndianRider View Post
Thanks everyone.... never thought you'd be able to get that kind of tire/wheel combo under a C10 .... Going to a swap meet on Sunday ..... I'll be on the look out for 12 - 14" rims ..... need 5" bolt pattern ....
GREAT day at the swap meet..... beautiful Spring day with "luck" in the air for me.

I found a pair of custom made 15 x 14" steel wheels (originally made/used on a Pro Street Vega) ONLY $50 ..... The rims have a 6" back spacing so I'll have to see how they fit.

Also found a set of tires to go on them ..... Mickey Thompson Sportsmans tires 33 x 15 wide (2 ply wrinkle wall) they have a decent amount of tread left, no cuts, etc..... only $70

But the "BEST" part of the day was I met a guy (who is retired) who builds 9" rearends in his backyard workshop(to your specs) who lives not far (Beaver, PA) from me (Mt Lebanon).

So talking to him was actually the BEST part of a very GOOD day. So as this project progresses the more I am not only collecting parts but experienced craftsman to help me get the "things I can't do"..... DONE!!!!!

So I'm pretty excited about all of the above.... the "wheels" are turning ....more ideas on the way.... will list them on this forum along with plenty of questions....ha!!! Thanks all you guys for the advice & encouragement..... John
Where were You in '62 ?
Old 05-11-2008, 07:45 AM   #10
Outlaw72
Hay Team!!

I hate to break the news to ya but a 14 wide 6 inch BS wheel is going to be way off.....you need a 12 inch wheel with about 7-7.5 on the backspace...
Old 05-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #11
70rs/ss

Het PA, check out my for sale ad, I have a pair of perfect step bedsides already cut down. You could sell yours and save the hassle (may be more work than its worth), but a thought?? 15X14 w/6bs, means the wheels will have a positive (towards the outside of the truck) of 8", it sounds like they'll stick out a bit? I was wondering if a nice set of 12-14" wides with about 7" of BS, but wonder if you have any interference with the trailing arm?? Cutting the bed for a tub is only part of that (as you probably already know)
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
PA-IndianRider

[quote......70rs/s ...... 15X14 w/6"bs, means the wheels will have a positive (towards the outside of the truck) of 8", it sounds like they'll stick out a bit? I was wondering if a nice set of 12-14" wides with about 7" of BS, but wonder if you have any interference with the trailing arm?? Cutting the bed for a tub is only part of that (as you probably already know)..... OUTLAW: I hate to break the news to ya but a 14 wide 6 inch BS wheel is going to be way off.....you need a 12 inch wheel with about 7-7.5 on the backspace... [/quote]

Thanks everyone for the info, warnings & encouragement. Everything you have written to me is RIGHT on the $$$$.

I knew from what I had been told here in the forum that to use BIG wheels with BIG tires that the wheels would have to have a "bunch" of backspacing. But one thing is for sure.... "honestly, I was just waiting for a good excuse.... on second thought make that "any" even the slightest "excuse" to turn this truck into a "Pro Streeter".

As has been written here and elsewhere on the pages of this forum ..... MORE backspacing is required (7-8") if one is to avoid having to narrow the rearend "pro street" style. Man, have I got LOTS of questions concerning that & other related items.... ha!!!!

I know there is a lot of work ahead of me ......I am sure you know already that means a lot MORE QUESTIONS from me to all you "experienced" C10 drag racers/builders.

Many of you may think "some" if not all of the "plans" I have made for this C10are NOT necessary. But now that I am retired "time" for a project like this is NOT as much of a issue as when I was working full time.

One roadblock I will have to deal with in the near future is I will be having SURGERY on my neck/back again sometime next month or so. Had an injury last December that has me messed up again. Already have a "titanium plate & 6 screws" in there already. From what I have been told by my surgeon so far is that I might have this plate removed, the area C5-6-7 & T1 cleaned up, repaired and a larger plate inserted.... ouch...... 6-8 weeks of downtime/recoup time but after a few weeks I will be able to start doing "light work" which will include some of the things that need to be done on the C10.

Again... thanks for alll your help..... and as I said before.... "plenty MORE" questions are forthcoming .... have a good weekend.... John
Where were You in '62 ?

Last edited by PA-IndianRider; 05-11-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #13
Ont67shortbox

Good luck on the surgery,hope everything comes out fine,...... 6-8 weeks recovery time, better start getting those catalogs in,lots of time to order parts lol,good luck on your project. Just got the fuel cell and system in and battery relocated on mine,now to find mounts for a bbc in a 67,and get her in
Old 05-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #14
PA-IndianRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ont67shortbox View Post
Good luck on the surgery,hope everything comes out fine,...... 6-8 weeks recovery time, better start getting those catalogs in,lots of time to order parts lol.....
You must be reading my mind..... I'm already stocking up on catalogs, magazines, DVD's and my wife (and driver - Gina) just got me a new LAPTOP so I can now surf the net and spend more time on this forum while laying on the couch & watch TV all at the same time.... Think it's called "Multi-Tasking" ....ha!!!
Where were You in '62 ?
Old 05-16-2008, 11:38 PM   #15
70rs/ss

I just got my knife man's orders as well 6/10 is the "DAY" for mine, L4-5, S1 I have a broken Vertebrea and a disc impinging the spine, so I'll be down and out for about 6-8 weeks as well, so I need to get you those bedsides ASAP!! Right?
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:14 AM   #16
PA-IndianRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
I just got my knife man's orders as well 6/10 is the "DAY" for mine, L4-5, S1 I have a broken Vertebrea and a disc impinging the spine, so I'll be down and out for about 6-8 weeks as well, so I need to get you those bedsides ASAP!! Right?
Yeah... I have a "no go" 6-8 weeks as well.... won't know when the knife will make its cut (2nd time around for me) until May 22.

Will be missing lots of Summer fun & of course C10 fun in the sun.... just love busted knuckles & the smell of grease!!!

What really is going to be hard to deal with is I've been told to seriously consider NOT riding motorcycles anymore. OUCH!!!! I've been into the 2-wheelers for quite a number of years.... planning to enjoy my retirement "building & riding". Over the past few years I have been collecting all kinds of old skool chopper parts .... everything from Honda chopper, Harley, Indian & last but not least a one-off custom 70's style drag style bike with 110ci stroker shovelhead engine - 1937 Indian Sport Scout Girder (completely rebuilt) '70 boat tail seat/fender with '59 caddy taillight - perimeter front brake - Flyrite sprotor - custom tank & hardtail frame by Hank Young .... tons of $$$ invested .... talk about having the "bubble broke"

Fortunately having the C10 around to work on will HELP EASEmy "withdrawal" from chopper riding/building.... : - (

BTW....Sent you a P.M. concerning the bedsides.....
Where were You in '62 ?

Last edited by PA-IndianRider; 05-17-2008 at 04:35 AM.