The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
GMC"ER

Sway bar question?

Hey guys been awhile since I have posted still working on the 69 GMC stepper. I have seen the great post on sway bar installation from TX Firefighter but I still have a couple of questions. First how far does the bar need to come threw on the brackets and bushings on the swing arm or do thew need to be flush? Mine are sticking threw about 1/2 an inch. Second I am mounting mine strait to the frame I would think that I have to drill all new holes as my frame does not have any holes that will line up for this way of mounting. Need a little help going to install this afternoon after work. Thanks Robert
GMC"ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
68Stepbed

Re: Sway bar question?

Yes the ends will stick through the control arm bushings about 1/2 to 3/4". As for mounting the bushing straight to the frame, I've never seen it done that way, but I suppose it can be done. They originally had a stand or tower that bolted to the frame. There are existing holes for the stands, but one is in with the rivets of that bent crossmember.

If you plan to bolt the bushings to the frame, you will need to drill new holes.

Let us know how the install goes, then let us know how much the new handling makes you feel like Mario Andretti.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
GMC"ER

Re: Sway bar question?

Thanks Matt yes I have read about them being mounted straight to the frame because my truck is lowered and it would hit the ground with the mounting plates. My front cross member is only about 3 1/2 inches off the ground. I just didn't know how far they sit through the bushings and about the holes, thanks Robert
GMC"ER is offline   Reply With Quote