The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
64 4x4

Unhappy 1964 Chevy K10 clunking noise

Hey guys,

Axle: Dana 44/Spicer open knuckle

Driving down the road in my 1964 Chevy k10 and felt my wheel go all crazy. Pulled it over and towed it back to the house to figure out what was going wrong. I anticipated it being either a wheel bearing or a king pin bearing so I ordered all new bearings and races/cups. I took everything apart, got my wheel bearings and races out, pulled the rest out and saw that one of my kingpin bearing was blown to pieces. So I took both bearings and cups out and replaced them with a fresh set. I packed the bearing very well, then added shims to the cover/pin where the kingpin bearings sit and I preloaded them to 13 lbs (I was told between 12-14 is ideal but 10-15 will do). I checked the poundage multiple times before reassembling it and then moving to the wheel bearings.

There were two wheel bearings inside and both seemed to be fine. I had already ordered new ones to put in, so I did. I unscrewed the first nut, and then took out the plate in between nut #1 and#2. This plate had holes on it so that the plate would slide on to a nipple on nut #2 which held it in place. I then removed the second nut and I was able to pull the hub off. Like I said, the two wheel bearings seemed fine but I replaced them both along with the races. I slipped the hub back in place and screwed nut #2 back on by hand, then used a flat head and a hammer to tap on the nut to keep screwing it back on. I got it as tight as I could get it without damaging anything then backed it on slightly (which I was directed to do). I then slid the plate on and screw nut #1 on. From there I put everything back together.
I got in my truck to drive it and it was fine for a couple days. Not when I make a very sharp turn I hear a single clunk come from the wheel I work on detailed above. I took it to 2 different “well known” mechanics because I could not figure out what it was and they said that the truck drives great and since its an old truck, you are going to hear some noises.
Well sure its old, but that noise wasn’t there prior to my wheel bearing issue, so I don’t buy it.

I did notice that on the knuckle where you can slide the axle out there was a groove that looked like a seal or race should have been in there. On my buddies old Toyota that has the same axles (just slightly different) there is an outer axle seal that prevent gear oil from getting in to the knuckle. When I disassembled it there was nothing in that groove and remember thinking “it looks like something should go in there” I looked on line and on LMC to see if there were any seals that go in that spot and I was unable to locate any.

This is so long because I wanted to be as detailed as possible so that if I did something wrong, hopefully I wrote it and someone could inform me of my mistake.

I have included the pictures I took while taking it apart. There aren’t pictures of everything, but the groove I am talking about can be seen in one of the pictures.
Attached Images

64 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:42 PM   #2
maxwoof

Re: 1964 Chevy K10 clunking noise

See the link below - I think there should be some seal. Its been a few years since I had mine apart - my knuckle bearings were shot too. The seal there is to keep oil in the knuckle. The pumpkin has seals to keep the oil in the gears. These were designed to run with oil in the knuckle, which lubricated the wheel bearings, knuckle bearings and u-joints.

That said, if you pack all the bearings with grease, (I have been doing this since 2009) you don't need oil in the knuckle, and then could probably get by without a seal. If it were up to me, I would try to have the seal there - it's really your inner wheel seal - it will keep out dirt and water. More so if you go off-road a lot.

As to the clunk, it is hared to say. I would jack it up, see if there is play in the wheels, or knuckles, spin the wheels and turn the knuckles to see if there is any binding. Twist the tie rods using vice grips to see if any binding or noises there. It's not a noise from the wheel stop on a full turn? Tap around with a small hammer to see if you can replicate the noise. Sometimes, the spring bushings can make clunky noises too.

You've got a nice truck there - good luck with it.

http://www.junkyardgenius.com/JEEP/A...dknuckle01.gif
maxwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:51 AM   #3
64 4x4

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. As of now I haven't found the issue. My dad offered to have a guy look at it so he brought it to his shop. He told me that it would take 6 hours and $600 to tear apart the hub... I said I could have a motor out of a vehicle in that time and ill kindly pass. He wasn't too thrilled with my response.

So im getting it back to my house, going to do what you suggested, then tear in to it and see if I can find anything. The mechanic keeps telling me that the axle bearing may be shot? Is there an actual axle bearing? I have looked all over the place and have been unable to find one for the truck. I know there are 2 wheel bearings and 2 kingpin bearings.
64 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

K20 exploded view.

Link to use magnifier:
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...GA6zOLYzcmZlVg

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
padresag

one place to check for the noise is cracks in the frame around the steering box; radiating out from the s/box mounting holes and across the top and botom flanges of the frame by the rad xmember. also broken bolts; s/box mounting.
there is a bushing in the flange of the spindle. I had also had a spindle snap off that point(the cir clip held it on amazinglt enough).
I hope that in the top right picture that is not your idea of packing a bearing?
there is a felt wiper that goes with the exterior knucle piece for the oil. the knuckle joint take 140wt hypoid gear oil. oil splashes around and luricates grease doesn't; it just sticks to the outside of the housing and stas there unless it gets hot enough to run and in there that is doubtful
these things were meant to be serviced every so often (and not every 10 years or so). how many of you do that?. I see that some of you don't even bother to put oil in. guess that solves from having to fix the leaks
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote