The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2021, 03:26 PM   #26
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: More vapor canister stuff - Cut one open and observations.

Well that is another story.
I went a week are so ago and got a new cap. I bought this cap @ O-Reilly's local. It's just like the one that was on the truck. The computer @ O-R says they are all the same for 67/72 trucks which I and you know isn't right.

I have yet to find a vented cap that looks like a factory cap. Now they do have one with a lock but I don't want to have to keep up with keys.
I'm still searching for the right cap. Short of drilling a small hole in the cap I will use the new sender and not worry about it.
My plan is if I can find the old vent tubing that runs up inside the passenger side cab wall to hook it to the vent line and then run it out to the canister. That should keep any fuel from ever reaching the canister but let the fumes out.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:42 PM   #27
MAC71Cheyenne

Re: More vapor canister stuff - Cut one open and observations.

I used the coarse aquarium charcoal, inexpensive. And cut out a round piece of the finer scotchbrite pad for the bottom filter pad. Works...
MAC71Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:58 AM   #28
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Thumbs up Re: More vapor canister stuff - Cut one open and observations.

I got my "new" one I got off the parts section here and got it opened. Though I did a horrible job on this one but luckily I can use the bottom from my truck's original canister.

My "new" one when opened is what I would have expected. Foam filter at the bottom, foam donut shaped filter at the top and a little circle foam filter at the top in the middle. All the foam was extremely degraded. The Activated Carbon inside this canister "seemed" okay but is dull looking compared to the new. The old stuff poured out nicely and my new stuff from Amazon appears to be a near match I think. Though I was not happy with my filtering choice that I got off Amazon.

Supplies I am using:
  1. Amazon: Aquatic Experts Premium Activated Carbon - Aquarium Filter Charcoal Media with Fine Mesh Bag - 3.0 lbs
  2. McMaster-Carr: 9803K92 Mildew-Resistant Reusable Air Filter Pad, 1/4" Thick with 48 x 72 Trade Size and 80 PPI
  3. Reusing the bottom insulation, that you see from the bottom.

I just ordered the air filter from McMaster-Carr, so it won't be in until next week. You can see in my photo I have used screws at the bottom, so disassembly will be easy. Once I know I am not taking it apart anymore I'll put some black RTV Sealer around my cut seam. I am pretty sure this is not needed but might was well add more than what is needed.
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 01-22-2021 at 10:08 AM.
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:17 PM   #29
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

got the new stuff from McMaster-Carr (1/4 80 PPI) and it seems very close to the original, other than it is gray in color. Though that stuff I took out was so deteriorated one could hardly tell what it was when it was new!

Anyways, I have TONs of this 1/4 80 PPI foam. If anyone needs any, I figure I'd could cut enough for 4 circles (for like ages). Say $5.00 after fees/shipping - it would easily fit in a USPS Priority Envelope or perhaps a USPS Small box so it is not getting smashed up in the mail machines ;-)

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 06-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #30
Barba Negro

@rich72c10 I could use enough to rebuild a canister if you still have some available. Thanks, Kyle
Barba Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:00 PM   #31
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barba Negro View Post
@rich72c10 I could use enough to rebuild a canister if you still have some available. Thanks, Kyle
Hi Kyle,

How about this bit I cut off - should give you more than enough to get your circle cut out and re-do if you needed?

PM me how you like me to try and ship. The stuff is really lite but don't want it getting smashed up either.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2021, 11:32 PM   #32
dmjlambert

Gas tank cleaned followed by strong gas smell sounds like the cleaning caused a small leak. I suggest line the inside of the tank with a sealant.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote