The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #51
SCOTI

Re: Anyone can buy an SWB...

Nice work here. I envisioned a similar bracket/attachment points for the notched x-members I've done. On mine, I just cheeped out & notched the a-arm simply because I felt the bracket required for the support bearing took away from the 'clean' look I was wanting. Unfortunately, notching eliminates aftermarket upper arms from the options because of the bushing barrel size.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #52
Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm1209 View Post
hope you don't mind me taking some of your ideas. Where about in east Texas are you?
I have a certain style of doing things but the reengineering is straight up hot rodding science from the Old Guard. Its all fair game n no shame. 😎 I live in Schulenburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Looking at your fuel tank, there's the tall vent. What is the fitting to the right of that? Impressive work BTW!!!!
Thank you. That fitting is a return. Im dead headed now but wanted to be prepared.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:01 PM   #53
Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Nice work here. I envisioned a similar bracket/attachment points for the notched x-members I've done. On mine, I just cheeped out & notched the a-arm simply because I felt the bracket required for the support bearing took away from the 'clean' look I was wanting. Unfortunately, notching eliminates aftermarket upper arms from the options because of the bushing barrel size.
Hey SCOTI. That bracket is 1/8”, at first was flat but flexed more than i thought so I added that wing gusset. Do you have a thread on your work?
Old 02-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #54
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverter View Post
Hey SCOTI. That bracket is 1/8”, at first was flat but flexed more than i thought so I added that wing gusset. Do you have a thread on your work?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=640843

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=381425
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-16-2020, 10:40 AM   #55
SCOTI

It seems like some posts were lost or something here??
Regardless, thought I would check-in & see if there were any updates.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #56
Inverter

Not sure.
Im at that stage where Im ready to get all the exterior massaged and refinished.
Very stressful, and now my equities are tanking and people are buyin up all the damn toilet paper n water. Ive been talking with Empire Garage about the work.
They’re a little high on their shop rate but have been turning out consistently nice work. I dont think I’ll do anything till things calm down with this pandemic mess.
Depressing 😒
Old 03-16-2020, 04:30 PM   #57
SCOTI

Quote:
Not sure.
Im at that stage where Im ready to get all the exterior massaged and refinished.
Very stressful, and now my equities are tanking and people are buyin up all the damn toilet paper n water. Ive been talking with Empire Garage about the work.
They’re a little high on their shop rate but have been turning out consistently nice work. I dont think I’ll do anything till things calm down with this pandemic mess.
Depressing 😒
Heck.... Truck looked fine as it was. The work you've accomplished looks solid since. Are you wanting everything (sheet-metal) new/fresh?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-16-2020, 05:10 PM   #58
Inverter

It was a clean driver in my opinion. I was only planning to have the bed cleaned up and shot to match but I cant get the gaps where I want them w/o some precise sheet metal slice n dice. The truck had been an older refurb and the doors n fenders weren't properly hung and adjusted when they massaged it. Doors are oe, fenders are not. Now that I rehung all of it correctly things are off beyond what adjustment can fix. Sure its about as good or better than any random 2nd gen truck you would see on the road or show, for that matter, but I am obsessive about the lines. I will prolly get it aligned n drive it some before.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:36 PM   #59
SCOTI

Quote:
It was a clean driver in my opinion. I was only planning to have the bed cleaned up and shot to match but I cant get the gaps where I want them w/o some precise sheet metal slice n dice. The truck had been an older refurb and the doors n fenders weren't properly hung and adjusted when they massaged it. Doors are oe, fenders are not. Now that I rehung all of it correctly things are off beyond what adjustment can fix. Sure its about as good or better than any random 2nd gen truck you would see on the road or show, for that matter, but I am obsessive about the lines. I will prolly get it aligned n drive it some before.
Understandable
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #60
Inverter

Interior is done. Simple black, plastic floor, no radio, all business. I enjoy rowing through the gears n listening to the rpm’s, exhaust and gear box sounds. Not tryin tu fiddle with my phone or any of that mess. Just pure hot rod operator experience. Paying attention to all the sounds n feels of a classic rod is quite satisfying.

[ATTACH]1991843[/ATTACH

[ATTACH]1991844[/ATTACH

[ATTACH]1991845[/ATTACH

[ATTACH]1991846[/ATTACH
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2020, 01:36 AM   #61
SCOTI

Quote:
Interior is done. Simple black, plastic floor, no radio, all business. I enjoy rowing through the gears n listening to the rpm’s, exhaust and gear box sounds. Not tryin tu fiddle with my phone or any of that mess. Just pure hot rod operator experience. Paying attention to all the sounds n feels of a classic rod is quite satisfying.
Preachin' to the choir. It's all about the drive/experience. Old school has it. New stuff might be close @ their best moment but it doesn't have the 'feel'.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-17-2020, 08:22 AM   #62
KMC3420

Regardless of simplicity, that interior looks like home to me. I like it a lot.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:36 AM   #63
Inverter

Cool.
I do see, though, how most people seem addicted to being distracted when they drive. Radio,phone,eating,drinking. Generally not paying attention to the actual driving and other vehicles. Its no wonder society is moving toward self-driving cars,,nobody wants to be bothered with paying attention in the moment to the experience that is driving.
End sermon.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:55 AM   #64
SCOTI

Quote:
Cool.
I do see, though, how most people seem addicted to being distracted when they drive. Radio,phone,eating,drinking. Generally not paying attention to the actual driving and other vehicles. Its no wonder society is moving toward self-driving cars,,nobody wants to be bothered with paying attention in the moment to the experience that is driving.
End sermon.
We + many of the people on these types of forums are still out there though so there's hope.
But, I'm not going to worry about it after I'm gone so I need to get my butt in gear first

Any upgrade to the BB? What are the trans stats?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 03-17-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:20 PM   #65
Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Any upgrade to the BB? What are the trans stats?
Missed this earlier...
Block is the original 402 ( truck was a BB/TH400 model ) has a Thumper roller cam n lifters. Iron heads, bored n torque plate honed to a 409. Checked & rebalanced crank, replaced everything else. Its not a powerhouse by modern standards but Im not the boy racer type so 418/438 @ 5900 is good for now. It sounds amazing too.

Trans is a 5 speed TKO model. ( 2.87 first, 1.89 second, 1.28 third, 1.0 forth, .64 fifth.

Even with 373 rear gears the .64 fifth gear is pretty tall. Its great for going from town to town but I dont use it much. I also switched to a 4.11 rear so might be a better fit.

Last edited by Inverter; 03-20-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Inverter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:42 PM   #66
SCOTI

Quote:
Missed this earlier...
Block is the original 402 ( truck was a BB/TH400 model ) has a Thumper roller cam n lifters. Iron heads, bored n torque plate honed to a 409. Checked & rebalanced crank, replaced everything else. Its not a powerhouse by modern standards but Im not the boy racer type so 418/438 @ 5900 is good for now. It sounds amazing too.

Trans is a 5 speed TKO model. ( 2.87 first, 1.89 second, 1.28 third, 1.0 forth, .64 fifth.

Even with 373 rear gears the .64 fifth gear is pretty tall. Its great for going from town to town but I dont use it much. I also switched to a 4.11 rear so might be a better fit.
Nice. My 'mole' has a flat-top 461 w/rubbed-on 781 ovals & engine dyno'd @ just a tick over 500hp @ <6k RPM. It also had a nice flat torque curve w/just a solid tappet set-up. It will get re-vamped w/some aluminum heads, hyd roller, & EFI before it hits the streets again.

Seriously digging this build. It has nice aftermarket parts but there's more than enough ingenuity w/the stock stuff that one might miss. it's understated!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-20-2020, 03:55 PM   #67
Inverter

Ahhhh...... aluminum heads .. one day...
Old 03-20-2020, 04:10 PM   #68
SCOTI

Quote:
Ahhhh...... aluminum heads .. one day...
I understand. Mine was put together a long time ago & the plan from the start was it would eventually get some lighter castings in an effort to have a lighter, powerful, mild vs. peaky final combo. I'll just say I've had more than a few years to save (LS motors didn't exist @ the time ).

My laundry list for weight saving up front was a bunch of aluminum (heads, water pump, intake, radiator, front a-arms, coil-overs, core support). Heck, it would have an aluminum block if I could get one cheap enough LoL. It also has some fiberglass inner wells waiting, & a glass/CF hood is on the list.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #69
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Troy,

Just went through this whole build. I had founded along on your other OBS build in the past. I'll be doing a similar build this year to a '75 LWB, that I will be converting to SWB with an extra frame I have.

I'm digging the look of the interior with the rubber mat and the exposed/painted high hump tunnel. Hope to see it some day in person. Nice work!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #70
Inverter

Thanks Karl,
I remember you. Your a Gentleman.
Maybe after this virus has run out, me n you n Scoti can meet up. I dont know how the nationals or the park are gonna go this year..
good to hear from you.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:06 PM   #71
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Just went through this build. I am very jealous of your fabrication skills. Excellent work! Super thorough and beautiful truck.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:44 AM   #72
Tvix

Wow, amazing work! Looks awesome!
Old 04-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #73
Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvix View Post
Wow, amazing work!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
I am very jealous of your fabrication skills.
Thanks for the compliments. The thing that helped me the most was not being afraid of F’ing something up. Sometimes you end up throwing the work out and starting over. Each time I did that The 2nd version was much better. You build momentum with your confidence and skills. I forget who said : You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Words to live by.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:38 PM   #74
SCOTI

Quote:
Thank you

Thanks for the compliments. The thing that helped me the most was not being afraid of F’ing something up. Sometimes you end up throwing the work out and starting over. Each time I did that The 2nd version was much better. You build momentum with your confidence and skills. I forget who said : You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Words to live by.
Very accurate statement. I owe a lot of gratitude to a friends dad that made us car guys THINK constantly in his presence (Thank you Mr. Millsap!).

Educate yourself on what you plan to work on.
Research & think about what you're trying to accomplish, then do it.
If you fail, figure out & understand why; then do it again making sure you overcome your previous failure.

Getting your hands dirty, correcting the failures, & pushing forward definitely builds momentum which feeds your confidence ultimately improving your skills.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-31-2020, 12:11 AM   #75
SCOTI

Don't mind me. Just doing a little dusting....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG