The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2021, 06:24 PM   #1
SwitchbladeII

Fan Shroud help!

Check out parts when they arrive not when you are ready to use them! I should know better but I didn't in this case. I bought a Mishimoto radiator and a fan shroud about eight months ago and now ready to use them. The radiator is suppose to be a direct fit, it wasn't as a lot of "direct fits" take some rework. The radiator sat too low in the saddles so it needed to raise it about 1/2" it will work but I had to use the inner holes for the right side top mount. The side tank configuration is the reason. I gave some thought on using the longer bracket on the right side and going over the tank but didn't think it would look good. The shroud is made to fit using the outter mounting position. My question is does anyone know what application used the inner? The mounting holes are 27" on center. Truck is a 69, factory six now a small block in rear position running a long water pump with fan extention. If I can't find shroud that will bolt up and deep enough I will go with electric fans, but rather not. Sorry for the long winded post. As always any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
SwitchbladeII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:56 PM   #2
rechinca

Re: Fan Shroud help!

I believe you need to swap your upper and lower mounts/pads to the big block mounts. The should fit over the tank and put your shroud mounts where they are supposed to be. I just installed a Cold Case rad and had to do the same. Fits like a glove. The factory mounts go over that tank/core seam. Or you could use something like this link from Summit. They used this style on a Week to Wicked build a couple of years ago (red and black C10).
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...BoCqB8QAvD_BwE
Old 01-21-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
SwitchbladeII

Quote:
Originally Posted by rechinca View Post
I believe you need to swap your upper and lower mounts/pads to the big block mounts. The should fit over the tank and put your shroud mounts where they are supposed to be. I just installed a Cold Case rad and had to do the same. Fits like a glove. The factory mounts go over that tank/core seam. Or you could use something like this link from Summit. They used this style on a Week to Wicked build a couple of years ago (red and black C10).
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...BoCqB8QAvD_BwE
Rechina, this looks like it would solve my problem, Thank you! I was looking into buying a trim to fit shroud from Summit but this looks like a better way to go. Thanks again!!!
Old 01-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
rechinca

If you look closer at the top of my radiator you can see where my mounts are on the Cold Case radiator I used. I did have to take a belt sander to the backs of the new rubber cushions to make them sit down better.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #5
SwitchbladeII

Quote:
If you look closer at the top of my radiator you can see where my mounts are on the Cold Case radiator I used. I did have to take a belt sander to the backs of the new rubber cushions to make them sit down better.
Thanks for the picture I may have to do the same. I did look at my radiator and the brackets would go over the tank seams. I am ordering the brackets for the HD radiator. Was your truck originally an 8 or 6? Did you use a standard fan with a spacer if so how long of a spacer did you use. Mine was a 6, V8 now in rear position so I will need to space fan to get it inside the shroud.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:14 PM   #6
rechinca

Mine was originally a V8 truck. No AC or HD cooling. It’s in the forward mounts and I bought an OEM 7 blade clutch fan for it, the clutch means I don’t need a spacer as it sets into the shroud. If you can find one for sale (highly suggest paying for membership here to use the marketplace to post want to buy ads and buying/selling parts) go that route. It doesn’t parasitically rob power when it’s not needed. I have heard that there are longer spacers you can buy, but if I had to choose a regular fan over a clutch style, I’d honestly spend the money and go electric fans. I will probably go that route when I add AC.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:01 PM   #7
SwitchbladeII

Quote:
Mine was originally a V8 truck. No AC or HD cooling. It’s in the forward mounts and I bought an OEM 7 blade clutch fan for it, the clutch means I don’t need a spacer as it sets into the shroud. If you can find one for sale (highly suggest paying for membership here to use the marketplace to post want to buy ads and buying/selling parts) go that route. It doesn’t parasitically rob power when it’s not needed. I have heard that there are longer spacers you can buy, but if I had to choose a regular fan over a clutch style, I’d honestly spend the money and go electric fans. I will probably go that route when I add AC.
I have an 7 blade OEM clutch fan on the motor now and it's what I prefer. The core is on my bench fitting the heater but by taking rough measurements I don't think blades will totally be within the shroud. I went with the long pump to pick up 1 3/8" since I'm using the rear mount position. I'm considering electric fans as an alternative. How far in does your fan set in the shroud? The shroud I have is 5 3/4" deep. Thanks again!
Old 01-22-2021, 10:43 PM   #8
RustyBucket

The PO of my '71 GMC swapped to a short water pump when he installed aftermarket A/C. I swapped to a 7 blade clutch fan and the blade was behind the shroud opening. Rather than change water pumps/brackets/spacers I bought a length of 4" wide black vinyl baseboard at Home Depot. "Grew"my shroud a little longer to fit the fan. Been there 6++ yrs.,Not very noticeable. Gonna have to replace my weeping aftermarket alum. radiator pretty soon.
Attached Images

Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:57 PM   #9
SwitchbladeII

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBucket View Post
The PO of my '71 GMC swapped to a short water pump when he installed aftermarket A/C. I swapped to a 7 blade clutch fan and the blade was behind the shroud opening. Rather than change water pumps/brackets/spacers I bought a length of 4" wide black vinyl baseboard at Home Depot. "Grew"my shroud a little longer to fit the fan. Been there 6++ yrs.,Not very noticeable. Gonna have to replace my weeping aftermarket alum. radiator pretty soon.

Thanks for the idea, looks factory. Once I instal the core support I will take a more exact measurement and decide what to do.
How did you secure the vinyl to the shroud?
Old 01-24-2021, 02:01 AM   #10
RustyBucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchbladeII View Post
How did you secure the vinyl to the shroud?
Short sheet metal screws. I probably could've used contact cement. $5 fix that worked pretty good.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:38 AM   #11
Boog
laying low

I used the same baseboard as Rusty. I wrapped mine around the outside of the shroud and used a few pop rivets. With a little satin black paint on the rivet heads they are hardly noticeable.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote