The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2020, 05:50 PM   #1
Dagobah

Suspension kit for a weekend cruiser

I'm looking for a fairly all-inclusive suspension kit for a 69 pickup that won't be raced, or autocrossed or anything like that, and won't be used to tow anything. It's going to be a weekend cruiser, something like that.

Visually, the 3" front and 5" rear drops are about the best looking stance to me.

Here's the catch: I definitely do not want to notch the frame because of sentimental value.

I see people run that low, or even 4 and 6 without the notch, but I don't know how their roads are or how their ride is. I'd honestly rather get the 2.5/4 drop if a 3/5 can't be done without a harsh ride.

My brother and I have looked at quite a few places, Hotchkis, RideTech, QA1, CPP. I see that CPP has a kit that let's you configure how low you're going. I have read on the forum that their parts are of questionable quality. However, a lot of other companies use their parts.

I'm looking for spindles, disk brakes if possible, sway bars, control arms, trailing arms maybe, springs, shocks, and all the things that go along with a full restoration. I'm hoping I can get a better deal by buying most of it from one place and that all the parts are going to work with each other.

I mention the Hotchkis because I know they make quality stuff and do not require a frame notch, but it's quite expensive and their TVS kit doesn't include brakes, so that'd be an extra expense.

The other option is to wait for Holley to re-offer the ECE stuff, which they are going to do, but customer support couldn't tell me when.

Y'all let me know if you have recommendations/ideas
Dagobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #2
gmc684x4

Re: Suspension kit for a weekend cruiser

I have given up waiting for holley to reopen ece

I am getting 1 front drop rear 4 or 5 drop springs from gmcpauls I am willing to bet a dollar that they are the same as ece sold
With western chassis 2.5 drop spindles which where part of ece kit packages

Sway bars stock gm stuff I have one from a c20 and a c10 look at pick a parts at trucks up to 87 c30 are the best

Spindles have to decide which model your going to build 67 70 set will use 67 70 ball joint tie rods etc with 71 to 87 hd brakes

Here is the interchange sticky read this
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456889
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:42 PM   #3
SkidmoreGarage

I'll weigh in first, I guess. I won't pretend to have the answer, my new suspension is untested as of yet. But the fundamentals of my suggestions are sound, so I'll proceed. I haven't measured it myself, but I've read that 5" rear drop gives you around 3.5" between the axle and frame. This is the same whether it's lowering springs, coilovers, and/or lowering blocks.

Traction and comfort are surprisingly similar goals. In both cases you want to keep the wheels controlled and in contact with the road. Unfortunately, payload capacity and comfort are opposing goals. To be able to control a heavy load, you need to be able to resist forces that are in addition to that which the truck normally sees. So for comfort, you want low spring rates (but correct for a 4k lbs truck) and matching shock valving. If the struts are valved for HD load they will resist the impulse to move, which leads to a jarring ride. If the springs are too stiff, you will also experience that it takes a lot of force to move the suspension, and you will feel that as harshness.

To stop the axle from hitting the frame, you will want to utilize modern bumpstops. This will add a progressive ramp rate to the spring when you reach the end of travel.

The third part is that you want to maximize suspension travel. This is why most people recommend drop spindles and lowering blocks to start. These allow for standard length springs and struts. You won't reach a 5" drop with drop blocks, but you may be able to use a 3" spring and 2" blocks.

The final part is, what is best coilovers or regular springs and coils? The answer is that they are the same. Coilovers just move the spring to the strut, and have an adjustable spring platform. However, when you do this, you will increase the demand on the shock mounts. This is why you see aftermarket companies creat mounting kits.

With this info, hopefully you or someone else will be able to ask the right questions when shopping around. If I had to make a suggestion for you:

Front: 73-87 stock arms, sway bar, and disc brakes, 3" drop spindles, new stock springs or stock height but lower spring rate. Use a high quality OE style replacement shock, can be same brand as rear for bonus points.

Rear: 2" drop blocks, 3" drop springs with the softer 200-225lb rate. The NLE shock relocation kit and the longer shocks they recommend. Replace stock rubber bumpstops with bolt on belltech or energy suspension bumpstops.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 07:42 PM   #4
REDROCKER652002

According to my son, his truck is lowered about 2 inches in front and 4 in the rear. It would appear that maybe the PO used a lower spring and 72 and 73 parts. I cannot be sure about the springs, but am sure about the 72 and 73 parts. At least the brake parts and upper ball joints. For his truck, I think it sits really nice that way.
REDROCKER652002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:21 PM   #5
Justin Jones

SEVERAL kits use CPP spindles which tells me they have a corner on the market in a matter of sorts. In addition, I think they may be the only company that makes a "modular" spindle that allows you to use whatever brakes you want.
Justin Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:36 PM   #6
Justin Jones

Hotchkis front control arms.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:30 AM   #7
68ls1

I really like my Ridetech Streetgrip, but it has a rear notch. It drives very nicely, handles bends very well. Image attached to show ride height. It is on 18" rims.
You maybe able to get away without having to do, maybe a spacer under springs

Name:  IMG_2063.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  50.8 KB
68ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:38 PM   #8
Dagobah

I thought I'd ask you kind folks another question:

Does anyone know where I can get axles for a 12 bolt but on the 5 x 4.75 pattern?
Old 01-24-2021, 04:56 AM   #9
gmc684x4

Why go to small car bolt pattern ?
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:15 AM   #10
AllGoNoShow

I’m sure Moser will make you some. I called them not too long ago about the knurl on their replacement axles for the C10 because it’s an odd size and I wanted options to run longer wheel studs- they said they could adjust the knurl to size I wanted no problem without even an extra charge.
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:59 PM   #11
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobah View Post

Does anyone know where I can get axles for a 12 bolt but on the 5 x 4.75 pattern?

Moser or Currie will make them for you, but why not 5 x 5" as used on 71-87 trucks?
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:06 PM   #12
SkidmoreGarage

There are more wheel choices in 5x4.75, thanks to the larger classic car market. It may also be that in this case, like many others, he is running a corvette front brake kit.

The gentlemen above nailed it, just need to call and get a truck axle drilled with 5x4.75. You can also redrill the axle flange, but you will lose a bit of strength. I'd recommend the new axle if it were my truck/life.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:16 PM   #13
LS short box

I went with Moser axles in 4.75 x 5 bolt pattern. Also they can machine the hub flange register to match brake brake setup.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:21 PM   #14
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
There are more wheel choices in 5x4.75, thanks to the larger classic car market. It may also be that in this case, like many others, he is running a corvette front brake kit.

The gentlemen above nailed it, just need to call and get a truck axle drilled with 5x4.75. You can also redrill the axle flange, but you will lose a bit of strength. I'd recommend the new axle if it were my truck/life.
I disagree.
The truck market is HUGE.
Never have the 60-87 and 88-98 trucks been this popular.
There is a giant market from wheel manufacturers for the 5x5 truck pattern.
Just ask American Racing, USMag, Intro, Raceline, Billet Specialties, HHBB, and more.
There’s a ton of standard AND big brake kits for the 5x5 pattern.
Just my opinion, but trucks are hotter than any group of cars now.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:05 PM   #15
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Just ask American Racing, USMag, Intro, Raceline, Billet Specialties, HHBB, and more.
That's for sure. In addition to lots of 5x5 wheels to choose from in various diameters and widths, there are brake kits from Wilwood, MPBrakes, and others.
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 01-24-2021, 08:28 PM   #16
Dagobah

Thanks for all the inputs fellas. The wheels I'm planning on running, 17" wheel vintiques series 62 (I think) are available only in that car pattern.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:48 PM   #17
MikeB

Quote:
The wheels I'm planning on running, 17" wheel vintiques series 62 (I think) are available only in that car pattern.
Got it. Personally I wouldn't run passenger car wheels and brakes on a pickup. But it's probably no big deal if you don't tow or haul anything.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:48 AM   #18
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
I disagree.
Never have the 60-87 and 88-98 trucks been this popular.
Just my opinion, but trucks are hotter than any group of cars now.
There are possibly more choices for the 'car' pattern but they're usually also in 'car' generic back spacing which can differ vs. what a truck needs. I'd prob agree w/lolife99 and feel there are just as many w/either option.

Quote:
Thanks for all the inputs fellas. The wheels I'm planning on running, 17" wheel vintiques series 62 (I think) are available only in that car pattern.
Wheel Vintiques 62 Series come in other/multiple bolt patterns. I've purchased 5x5 & 8x6.5 patterns from them.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:31 PM   #19
SD69C10

Quote:

Just ordered 5x4.75 axles from Moser last month for my disc conversion.
SD69C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:09 PM   #20
Justin Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD69C10 View Post
Just ordered 5x4.75 axles from Moser last month for my disc conversion.
Nice! Where are you getting or what are you using for the rear disc brake setup?
Old 01-25-2021, 08:34 PM   #21
SD69C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jones View Post
Nice! Where are you getting or what are you using for the rear disc brake setup?
I went with a Master Power Brake Rear Drum to Disc conversion kit
Old 01-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #22
Justin Jones

I checked them out but I didn't see a 4.75 rear kit. The kit they listed has a 5 x 5 1/2 or 5 x 5 pattern in the rotor.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:59 PM   #23
68 P.O.S.

From your first post, it seems you don't need an "all-inclusive" kit for a weekend cruiser. If you just want to lower it, add spindles and dropped springs to the stock setup. Easy peasy

Oh, an adjustable panhard bar too
Old 01-27-2021, 12:16 AM   #24
SD69C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jones View Post
I checked them out but I didn't see a 4.75 rear kit. The kit they listed has a 5 x 5 1/2 or 5 x 5 pattern in the rotor.
Here's the parts list I ordered...I was in contact with a salesperson via email to make sure they knew I needed a 5 x 4.75 bolt pattern. They even told me what exactly I needed to tell Moser for the new axles. Hope this helps.
Attached Images