The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2021, 10:18 AM   #1
cgster

Could it be starter?

I've been slowly working on my 72 C10 for a couple years, I try to crank it every 1 or 2 weeks and let it run for a while or drive it around the yard. The wiring on the truck is a mess(someone installed alarm and sound system years ago thats been taken out), but really hasn't given me any problems. For the past few months, when I go to try and start it, I turn the key and it takes a second before it even tries to start turning over the engine. Sometimes nothing happens at all when I turn the key, try a few more times and then the engine will finally start turning over. Then when the engine starts turning over it just never ends up cranking. This comes and goes. One day I can go try to crank it, if fires right up. Next time I can try for a few minutes and it never cranks. Battery isn't the issue as I've tried 2 new batteries. I don't think its an engine issue, the engine has been rebuilt with less that 150 miles on it. Could this be the starter giving me this problem or more of an electrical issue?
cgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
ChevyRacefan

Re: Could it be starter?

2 Things to try.
1) when it won't crank/turn over, lift the transmission gear selector as you are trying to move it to 12 o'clock (assuming automatic, if a manual forget this)
2) try hot wiring the ign switch with a jumper wire, if it cranks strong you have bad connections in the switch.
3) check battery cables. connections at battery and on engine and starter.

My bet is a bad connection , but, to start mine, I have to hold the shifter lever up pushing toward 12 o'clock (park)or the neutral safety switch won't let it crank.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:19 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
It could also be the solenoid on the starter but check the easy stuff first.
Like Racefan said clean both ends all of the cables first.

Whenever you (or anyone else) posts a question like this always include information about the truck. Year/Model/engine/transmission/column shift/floor shift/etc... It may not seem important but it usually is, and it makes it a lot easier for the other members to help.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:40 PM   #4
lux

I recently had a intermittent starter problem. I always start at one end and work my way back when troubleshooting. I went and bought a bump starter ( everyone needs one in their tool box anyway and they are not expensive).
The bump starter worked every time. So, just a short way down the wiring path I found the trouble maker wire from the starter switch. Fixed and all good now,
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:24 PM   #5
truckster

My brand-new L31 Vortec cranked over once and then wouldn't start. I had rewired everything and put in a new battery and new starter. It was driving me crazy for a couple of days, until I remembered that I had painted clear satin ceramic on the aluminum brackets to keep them looking good. I removed the cable from the bracket, sanded off the paint, and it started right up.

The moral of the story is that sometimes it's something really simple, so as the others have said, start with the cables and work from there. A remote starter switch is also a good idea. You might want to pull the starter and test it with jumper cables, too.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:49 PM   #6
Awann99

I had this similar issue on mine and it turned out to be the ignition switch. I replaced it with one from Napa and haven’t had starting issues since.
Awann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:12 PM   #7
dmjlambert

Make sure you don't have this type of emergency battery repair terminal where the wire is pinched by a plate in order to connect it. Not suitable for long term use. Here is a picture of the one that caused me problems. I had symptoms similar to yours and replaced the starter, which did me no good. It took a while to figure out it was the starter cables.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:38 PM   #8
franken

When it misbehaves measure the voltage to ground at the S-terminal on the solenoid with the key in the start position.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote